1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Euros

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by yorkiegit, May 4, 2016.

1. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Quarter final
    Kane
    Germany

2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Agreed with all three. We've got potential, but I think we'll finish Quarters, maybe Semis if we get lucky. Kane will likely start up top and he's a natural finisher, not to mention Premier League Golden Boot winner. I think this is France's tournament. They're hosting it and they have a squad packed with talent, although they look a little weak out wide in defence.

As for the dark horses, maybe Belgium?

San Diego likes this.
  3. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

No Drinkwater or Townsend then..

Not too surprised (or disappointed) about Townsend but feel England could do with having Drinkwater there. He would be the ideal replacement for Dier if he gets injured (or has to slot back into defence). I can only assume that Milner is being considered in that role as well.. Though in fariness he is better in the middle than being shoved out wide.

Taking both Henderson & Wilshere is a bit of a gamble in my view as they're both so short of match fitness and a both injury concerns, I would have taken one of them alongside Drinkwater who is atleast a 'ball winner' and can play the holding midfield role that seems to be so crucial in the way Roy has had us set up for the past 12 months.

San Diego likes this.
  4. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I agree with you about Drinkwater, whilst he's by no means the best in there we've got Henderson and Wilshere who are a bit of a gamble and Dier who may have to drop to CB if we get injuries. He's been Mr consistent and we have alot of talent in that midfield but not a solid consistent performer. I would've take Whilshere over Henderson as he a special player but please do not play him in the deep role!!

I would have also probably taken Townsend, I think he's a very good player (very underrated) and he's been in good form for Newcastle and I don't think we've got too many players like him in the squad. For me he's looked in far better form than Sterling.

I really like Barkley but he's been a little inconsistent of late and I think we've got alot of players who can play in the CM attacking role. Also do we really need 5 strikers, 3 GKs and 4 fullbacks?

5. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I've made a euro 2016 fantasy league if anyone does wish to join - not 100% sure if happening yet depends on interest. Will be £5 / £10 entry and prizes for top 3.

6. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Glad that's over ......<doh>

San Diego likes this.
  7. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

It's the hope that kills you..

I liked Roy, he always carried himself with dignity and brought through a lot of younger players to energise the team (but was ultimately not good enough to do anything meaningful with them) and as much as Roy is (deservedly) taking the flack for this, I feel the players are getting off lightly, particularly the 'Senior' players.

Kane was unbearably greedy, Sturridge reverted to type, a talented, but arrogant over hyped player that is too featherweight and utterly predictable.

The biggest crime was dropping Lallana, who whilst not the biggest goal threat, was our best player in the group games. I don't get the praise for Rooney all tournament. Anyone of our squad could get the ball off the back four and spray the ball sideways, the odd 40 yard cross field pass doesn't mask the fact that we may as well as have Carrick in there for all the use he was.. He was supposed to be an attacking midfielder after all. He slowed the play down and created absolutely nothing. Wouldn't be too upset if he didn't play for England again. There are better options as a striker and as an attacking midfielder. Shoehorning him into the side has cost us imo

I did think that last night it was like watching Ipswich, all too pedestrian with players not knowing what to do when we had possession, but at least with Ipswich the ball spends some of the time in the opposition penalty area!.. Mick for England Manager! <ok>

San Diego and Bigalreigned like this.
  8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

We were absolute garbage the whole tournament, second worst team behind Russia.

During qualifying we looked like a decent counter attacking team. It was something I didn't expect from England. I remember thinking 'look how far England have fallen, we're a counter attacking team now' but at least we were effective at it, hitting teams with pace on the break. I can't remember one decent counter in any of the four games. Hart never once released the ball quickly after an opposition attack broke down.

We were lucky against Wales and poor throughout. Yesterday at half time I just wanted us to go 4-4-2 with some width and two strikers to keep the CB's occupied, it was plainly obvious 4-3-3 wasn't working. Sturridge can't play on the right of a three, we should've started with Vardy and Lallana rather than Sterling and Sturridge.

There was no movement at all when playing out from the back. Dier really slowed the game down but he had limited options in front of him with many players just strolling about the pitch. It also looked like too many of them wanted to do it all alone and be the hero, one touch too many meant possession lost time after time. There were no selfless runs to create space. A collection of players but nothing like a team.

Our last good England team was Euro '96

9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Roy was too cautious yesterday. Not aggressive with the subs and didn't try to change the game at all until it was too late. Why take Barkley when you play Wilshere ahead of him? I would prefer Milner than Wilshere, at least he can cross a ball. What the hell is anyone supposed to do with 5 minutes on the field, the Rashford sub was ridiculously timed.
    Kane on dead balls, he made a hash of it in the first game and yesterday I was thinking he was doing it on purpose just to prove a point. I just wanted somebody with some balls to stick two fingers up at Roy and go do their own thing. If I was Kane I would not want to be taking corners etc and would probably refuse the managers request to do so, even if you sent me home.

10. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I think there are a lot of similarities with Ipswich and England - and possibly the managers too - no plan B, and not knowing how to change a game when its not going your way.
    To have four strikers on the pitch, and two attacking midfielders at the same time, against a team that sit back and soak the pressure up, is pure madness and naïve. We needed to draw their CB's out of position, but no one was making any runs, it was all going through the middle.
    You have two very quick and attack minded full backs, but I don't remember there being any crosses into the box, it was all too narrow, and everyone thought they could shoot from 30 yards all the time.
    I agree with SD, Lallana was easily our best performer, so should've played from the off, and also Barkley instead of Wilshire who is not match fit in the slightest.
    In fact, I have to say at one point I was cheering on Iceland, they didn't deserve to lose that game.

San Diego likes this.

11. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Afternoon All. All rather depressing really, and like Stretchy, much admired the Icelandic passion, determination and grit. We looked like a bunch over-aid Premiership primadonas.Which is precisely what they are!

Time to look for overseas manager - old guard has had its day....now where else could that apply?!

Bigalreigned likes this.
  12. itfcptc

I thought Iceland were actually pretty much like us to be fair, organised workman like, know their jobs but lack quality.

Seeing the Charlton midfielder in there actually made me think it very much reminded me of the Charlton vs Ipswich game last season. Charlton were good one the ball just crap in the 2 boxes and we were the opposite

To be fair I thought England showed a fair bit of promise at the tournament, it was all just ruined in 1 half of football.

13. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

PMSL<laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

absolute ****, still Weighty rates Roy and he is a better manager than the prev 3 <wizard>

Piss poor side, managed by a piss poor manager. Sound familiar?<laugh>

Have a good summer ladies, look forward to a good ol debate or two in August, hope i get proven wrong this season, if he drafts a few of the youngsters in, steers clear of the usual def mid 2 and changes the back 4, i think we will do ok!!

14. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Nice to see I still hold a place in your heart Spaniard..............I find it hard to look past the players for the failure to best Iceland, I think any 11 English players would have done better than those on the field they couldn't pass/control or strike the ball and for me they shoulder the blame......I think Roy had to go though tbh.

15. itfcptc

Quiz question who was the last Englishman to score in a quarter final?

16. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

17. itfcptc

Sam Vokes!!

18. Westlake33

Christ it's years ago isn't it. I cannot think off the top of my head!

Thank Christ Hodgson has gone, bloody embarrassing.

Sidenote - back from France, had a superb time over there! Lens in particular was rocking for the Portugal v Croatia tie. I won't go to three games in three days again, knackering!!!

San Diego likes this.
  19. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Glad you had a good time Westy, a great experience I'm sure <ok>

20. Westlake33

It was fantastic Dan Diego. I'd recommend anyone go to one of these tournaments, you'll want to go back every time being the issue! Was in Ukraine/ Brazil, I'll no doubt be in Russia 2018.

Scowey and San Diego like this.