1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Euros

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by yorkiegit, May 4, 2016.

1. yorkiegit

yorkiegit Active Member

How realistic is England's chances of success(and what would you count a success ) this summer

I think we have a very strong squad with several options in the strikers and in midfield and indeed the goalkeepers
    My main concern is the two centre backs, I believe that is our weak point

Let's hope that Roy don't play with one up front as is the norm
    Especially with the talent at his disposal

Centre backs aside, player for player I can't see why we can't win this(although England have a habit of letting everyone down)

Still, I'm feeling very good about our chances this year

2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I'm feeling more optimistic than the previous few tournaments, that's for sure. I think our chances of progressing in the tournament ultimately depend on Roy's first-team choices and his tactics. If Roy is willing to pick a squad on merit and build his squad around more of a Leicester/Spurs contingent, while advocating a more attacking and dynamic formation, then I think we'll do well. However, if he reverts to his stuffy conservatism and gives starts to trusted 'Club England' players like Luke Shaw, Jack Wilshere, and Wayne Rooney (all long-term absentees and all apparently set to make the plane if they're back from injury), then I think we'll struggle.

Personally, I'm hoping we can reach the last eight, and that would be my target for this relatively young England squad. Especially taking into account that there is now a Round of 16 and both Russia and Wales will be tricky opponents.

I'd love to see a 4-3-3, something like:

Hart
    Clyne
    Smalling
    Cahill
    Rose
    Dier
    Milner
    Alli
    Sturridge
    Vardy
    Kane

It'll probably will be a 4-2-3-1 formation though, and Roy will probably field:

Hart
    Walker
    Jagielka
    Cahill
    Rose
    Dier
    Henderson
    Milner
    Alli
    Sterling
    Kane

3. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take Sturridge.. Not a big fan of his, he is a very good player, but so one footed, predictable and injury prone. Top Premier league player but not a top international player. (I would also place Sterling in that category but accept that he offers us something different)

I would like to see something along the lines of

Hart
    Clyne | Smalling | Cahill | Rose
    Dier | Drinkwater
    Lallana | Ali | Barkley
    Kane

unlike other tournaments we have genuine options off the bench to be able to make a positive impact on matches. I think we will be a bit chalk and cheese this tournament, due to the youthfulness of the squad but fancy us to make the semi finals.. which I would consider as being a good result given the long term prospects of this squad.

4. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

I have my doubts about Lallana and to a lesser degree Barkley......but if they keep Milner out of the starting lineup I'm happy.

5. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Nuggets
    You put down Vardy but surely you meant Varney

Nuggets likes this.
  6. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I have always though lallana is better suited to international football than perhaps the Premier League. His ability to find pockets and turn and drift past people makes him seem more continental and wouldn't look out of place if you were to be told he was Spanish. (Not THE Spanish.. Simply a footballer who is from Spain)

Milner is an intriguing one. He is the marmite of the current squad. personally I really rate him, he is a great athlete who covers a lot of ground and does all the simple things well, plus has a tremendous ability to put in good crosses from almost anywhere. He is not a wide player, but a good central midfielder and reads the game well. Like a comfy pair of shoes - he is to the England side what Cole Skuse is to Ipswich.... :emoticon-0138-think

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM likes this.
  7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

I like the way the England team is developing but I think this tournament will be more of a learning experience than a realistic attempt to win the thing.
    Like many, I want to see the old guard phased out and a new, vibrant team created from players who are performing well for their club.
    Quarter final exit again but positives taken from the way we played.

8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Oh God, imagine that! However, in the unlikely event that he either scored or put in a good performance, we'd be more likely to sell him.

Regarding Milner, I've come around to the thinking that he's a rather underrated footballer. Normally always impresses when I see him on the televised games and he has notched up a load of assists this season. Should be in the squad, at a bare minimum.

9. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

I think we've got the best side for a while, I don't like Woy though!

Milner apparently is only second behind Ronny and Messi in terms of assists in Europe this year. Underrated by some and overrated by others, I'm quite indifferent to him. He'd be in my squad but not sure my 11.

10. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Roy is the best England manager in many a year Westy.........

San Diego and itfcptc like this.

11. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I like Hodgson. Think we have a decent team, however for the first time since I can remember (maybe since Venables) we seem to have a coherant team, it's certainly not the golden generation but all credit to Roy we no longer look like a bunch of individuals on the pitch!!

12. yorkiegit

yorkiegit Active Member

You have to be kidding,right

13. yorkiegit

yorkiegit Active Member

You do remember the last World Cup I presume
    Should have been sacked the minute the plane landed back in England

14. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

That would have been very shortsighted imo

15. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Better than the Italian....yup
    Better than the wAlly...yup
    Better than the swede...yup

Nuggets and itfcptc like this.
  16. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Better than Eriksson?! You must be kidding. Not in his league mate.

Better than McClaren? Yeah fine. So would a lump of wood be, awful " manager ".

Better than Capello? Capello was class in qualifying and let down by immature English players who wouldn't listen! How can you manage a national side when they find eating dinner together as alien, aren't disciplined enough to have one pint and have the likes of David Bentley ignoring orders / doing Postman the Pat songs. Jesus christ we have some very thick players.

Woy is such a dull manager. I don't think he should be given tournament after tournament. Embarrassing in Brazil and he should have gone then.

17. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Neither the swede or the Italian should have managed the ENGLAND national team....but that aside....in my opinion they were both just turning up to pick up the cheque......We wasted a golden chance to win something when they appointed Sven......

Roy for me beats all three hands down.

itfcptc likes this.
  18. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I agree weighty. For me Eriksson wasted a golden opportunity, bar the 5-1 win over Germany I can't think of any highlights particularly given the players at his disposal. For years watching England has been awful, we haven't looked like a team for over 15 years. At least when England go out under Roy they look like they are a team.

It actually excites me to watch England these days and I don't think ive ever said this!!

19. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Possible sweepstake?

The round that England make it to. The leading English goalscorer and eventual winner?

I will go for:

Quarter Final
    Harry Kane
    France

20. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Final
    Rooney
    England.