1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

European GP?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Forza Bianchi, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

The "European GP" has been in F1 for a while now, and with all the new bid from other countries, some people are questioning the purpose of the European Grand Prix. After all, we already have plenty of races in Europe, and 2011 will see the most number of races in one season.

For the last 3 years, the European Grand Prix has been held at the Valencia Street Circuit. In my opinion, none of those 3 races have produced much excitement, bu unfortunately we are stuck with it for a few more years, as Bernie signed a 7 year deal in 2007.

One the deal expires, would you prefer to see the European GP stay at Valencia?

Or should it go back to the Nurburgring (meaning the German GP would always be at Hockenheim)?

Perhaps hold the European GP at another venue? Austria maybe?

Or should the European Grand Prix be scrapped, in order to accommodate space for circuits like Austin?

2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nordshleife?

I don't see why I rotating grand prix should be limited to Europe, why not have a 'wildcard' race each year, hosted at a different circuit each year. Theres plenty of decent tracks out there. Why not hold it in South Africa (Kyalami), Austrai (A-1 Ring), The scandinavian raceway in sweden would be a slightly different area to host one too. Couldn't it be used to trial a track, before it is accepted onto the calendar long term?

3. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see F1 racing at the Nordschleife but it will never happen unfortunately.

They should scrap the Euro GP, no country should host two races and if they went back to Austria for example, it would be the Austrian GP not the European.

Personally I think they should go back to Magny Cours, always seemed to produce an entertaining race.

4. Forza Bianchi

I didn't mean Nordschleife, I was talking about the Nurburgring GP circuit (GP-Strecke).

AbsolutelyGlorious,

Bernie did say that each country should only hold one GP, so I'm assuming that the European GP will not be in Spain once the contract for Valencia expires.

5. Canary f1

Canary f1 Member

I agree Jose, Valencia has not provided very entertaining races. The Nurburgring GP circuit is a pretty decent track.

6. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I knew you didn't mean the Nordschleife Jose, it was only a sarcastic suggestion, shame it'll never happen. I'd love a really long track on the calendar though, something with about a 5 minute lap. Although I guess it won't be as attractive to spectators, and logistics aren't brilliant, but still.

7. McLarenBluebird

Personally I love Valencia. It has that appeal about it, nice weather, street racing, great scenery and tbh, although the races are a little on the dull side, its a great challenge and is a better spectacle than Monaco in my opinion. I prefer it to Catalunya in some respects. Really dont want to see it vanish from the calander!

8. Forza Bianchi

It will stay on the calendar for the next few years, but if the spectacle does not improve, I don't think the contract will be renewed.

I think people find Catalunya boring because the final chicane makes it very hard to overtake on the main straight. A shame really, because otherwise I think it's a good track.