1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England Manager

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Scowey, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of talk of who should take England forward since that fateful evening in Nice, which cost Roy his job. A lot of names have been thrown around, like Southgate, Shearer, Del Bosque etc.
    Wenger, Hiddink, Loew, Klinsmann seem the most discussed from the 'foreign' side.
    Allardyce, Bruce, Howe, Hoddle appear to be the English representatives.

What do people think? Does anyone actually care?

I actually think Allardyce might be a really good option. There has been a lot of people bemoaning his 'style' and not being able to coach better players, but I think there are some key factors that are being overlooked

- The 'Manager' has only a handful of days with the players. He isn't coaching them. If he has to, then something is going horrendously wrong at club level.
    - We need a tactician, not a coach. A 'game manager' who finds a way of winning.
    - The role is to pick from the best players available and find a system and style to beat the opposition. Something Allardyce has done throughout his career, find the opponents weakness and play to the strengths of the team you have.
    - Importantly, he actually wants the job. The guy would throw his all into it.

I am not for one minute banging the drum for Allardyce, just voicing my thoughts that he may not be as bad as some make out as it looks likely he will get it.

As for the others, I would love to see Wenger given his vast experience of English football and the failings that we have domestically and in European competition. He would certainly understand the size of the task.

As for 'foreign' managers. I would be happy to see a manager who has managed in England given the chance. Capello and Sven fell short as they were not familiar with the English game. Hiddink and others would certainly add something and know how we stack up in the Prem compared to the rest of Europe/the world.

San Diego likes this.
  2. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Certainly not Wenger, serial loser that man. Would align with England perfectly so no to that one <laugh>
    Klinsmann has helped the US a lot but I'd say no on that too.

Screw it, give it to Big Sam. At least we'll be led by a proud Englishman.

3. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Got to be an Englishman to manage England ...anything else is cheating.

itfcptc likes this.
  4. wellyblue

wellyblue Well-Known Member

There's a similar thread on the Norwich board, I thought that our good friend SN23 nailed it with this post...

Works for me! <laugh>

San Diego likes this.