1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

End of the Melbourne Grand Prix?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by DHCanary, Jan 28, 2011.

1. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hi all,

Interesting news on autosport today (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89121). To paraphrase for those who don't want to read it, the Mayor of Melbourne has said the city can no longer handle the costs of having the grand prix, and Ecclestone has said he's prepared to end the contract (currently running until 2015), if Melbourne no longer want to host the race.

So, do you think this is the end of the Australian Grand Prix? Or will it move to another track, back to Adelaide maybe?

Maybe to make room for some of the newer tracks on the calendar, Melbourne might be the first of the more traditional tracks to go? There was talk of Vietnam wanting to host a race, and I'm sure theres other countries interested.

Thoughts people? It may not be my place to say this, as I'm not mod, but can this stay on topic, and not degenerate into personal abuse, or which driver is best? Theres other threads for that.

Thanks.

2. Hyperupdate

Hyperupdate Member

As long as it goes somewhere else I'm not bothered. Races are races <ok>

3. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

Melbourne is one of the circuits I really like. The races are always exciting and I always own everyone online on that track (in F1 2010).

With all the interest from other countries, I doubt Melbourne will have it's contract renewed.

4. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Have always struggled at Melbourne on the F1 games. Don't know why, just one of my bogey tracks. Barcelona is the other. Never do as well there as on other tracks such as Monaco, Hungary, Belguim and especially Turkey!

5. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

This is Bernies angle of negotiation. Its the same that happend with silverstone, montreal and spa

6. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I think El_Bando is probably right, I like Melbourne, it usually produces decent racing. One of my favourites on F1 games too (even if I am still playing 06!!).

7. McLarenBluebird

I think F1 will leave Australia at the end of the contract. They've spoken out about the cost to host and how it makes sense, and Bernies calling their bluff. Although I love the racing and the early mornings and the passion of the crowds there, they should have learnt from Silverstone, if you play mind games with Bernie, he always wins

8. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

I was surpised to find out it takes a month to build the circuit each year, and then 6 weeks to remove it. You can imagine why locals would get annoyed, traffic must be terrible for those 10 weeks. I'm not sure how many other events are held there during that period. It'd be a shame to lose it.

Adding to that, the reason why monaco has practice on thursday and not friday is to allow the roads to be opened to the public, to ease traffic. Does this not happen at melbourne? Apparently the monte carla gp also takes 6 weeks of construction each year, then 3 weeks removal.