1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

End of An Era.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Lff, May 22, 2017.

1. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

I have been watching Southampton since 1965. I've lived away from the City for a few years and have played football on Saturday afternoons but that apart, and maybe the odd illness, I've seen every home game.

But no more.

I have fallen out of love with Premier League football. It has become an embarrassment. Every touch results in a theatrical dive, accompanied by a scream of agony and the clutching of a body part, increasingly, the head for some reason. Even genuine fouls have to be exaggerated, no doubt to get the attention of the referees who don't seem able to give a free kick if a player innocently tries to stay on his feet. It is becoming pathetic. The worst culprits are Chelsea but Man City aren't far behind them (and Tadic of course!).

And then there are the managers. They should be made to sit down and shut up. When we played Liverpool this year the referee actually stopped the game to come to the sideline and explain his decision to Klopp. Ridiculous. Hughes, on Sunday, who is far from the worst, was going crazy at every decision not going his way and that obviously influences how the players behave.

It is just getting too hard to watch.

Oh, and by the way, a note to any budding coaches out there, the way to stop an attack isn't by clever marking, a good interception or a crunching tackle; its by sitting down. Very effective and works every time. The real skill comes in getting the player back into the game, too quick and, what do you know, it might look like he was exaggerating a little bit!

Anyway, I won't even mention the wages!

So, I'm off to Eastleigh. 2 season tickets for less than a third of one at Southampton. I can't wait until the start of the season. Of course I'll still support The Saints and still hang out on Not 606 but I'll obviously be even more out of touch than usual.

2. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Thats a shame LFF (would re-signing Jack Cork make you reconsider?...:emoticon-0110-tongu), but I get where you are coming from. I went to watch Sholing FC a couple of times this season and I have to say that it was as enjoyable as watching Saints, without the comfort of course. Pleased to hear that you are not leaving us altogether.

Saintharry13 likes this.
  3. Libby

Libby 9-0

Brilliant post <applause>

I'm really starting to hate PL football too tbh, gets worse every year.

I'm genuinely at the point now where I wouldn't even be that bothered if we were to get relegated. In a kinda perverse way, it would bloody excite me!

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I couldn't do that. I must be made differently.

tomw24 likes this.
  5. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

You'll be back. Following a club like Southampton isn't something you can suddenly decide not to do. I tried it once and discovered there's something in my DNA that won't allow me to watch another team and commit in the same way.

9043graham likes this.
  6. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Never in doubt! <laugh><laugh>

7. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Blame the special one for that. If people can recall I have been singling out Drogba who would go down when his side had a corner and stop any counter attack as the opponent was "encouraged" to put the ball out.

It is not a new thing and I agree is still getting worse.

The only thing that brought me back was when Saints were about to go out of business and something stirred inside me which led to me being Saints mad again but that has drifted.

My Family Season ticket for next season at Lincoln? £289 total, not each, total!!. Me and both my boys for £289, 23 matches!!!

£4.18 each per game (although several beers and the bus adds to that.) There's still a bit of diving and "creative" stuff but nowhere near as much.

Although I kind of agree with the statement above r.e. DNA and not being able to support another team that I suppose would depend if you are local to that team and how much you are tied to where you now live.

After all how can all these Londoners support Man U with no tie?

I've been in Lincoln most of my life so despite my ties to Saints I feel pretty much a "Lincolner." Neither of my boys makes any effort to watch Saints on stream anymore. I'm not blaming that on Puel despite it happening this year. They both support Lincoln City madly now but then the whole city's kids are Lincoln mad this year.

Barcelona shirts will return if they don't do well next season. lol. They'll have to seeing as the club shop sold out time after time, meaning they hardly ever had any kid's shirts in all season.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    The Ides of March likes this.
  8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah I could never follow another team. Like you say you will never rid of the emotional attachment.

I'm just gonna renew my membership and pick & choose home games / try do more aways for the next couple of seasons.

Doing shift work makes this an easy decision to make though.

Will likely buy a ST in a few years when my lads old enough to go <ok>

9. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Likewise.

10. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

For all its problems, it still makes me feel emotions nothing else can and it is still the top level of the most beautiful sport on the planet. So as far as I'm considered I am as in love with saints and football as I ever have been.

11. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I despise the premier league for all the reasons listed above, but mostly because it's all about money. The clubs are businesses not communities (though I suppose it is possible to be both).

On the other hand, Milan, Wembley, and most of all being behind the goal at Anfield when Shane Long burst the net - these memories I'll have for ever. And I'm greedy enough to want more.

12. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

I will always be a Saint of that there is no doubt. Some of my absolute happiest memories come from supporting them (and some of my worst, but thats life).

I love football, ever since I was old enough to kick a ball. I can watch a bunch of kids kick a ball around on The Common. Its just Premier League/European 'football' that I hate. 'That' recent Barcelona game was arguably one of the greatest games ever played except that it wasn't. Decisive penalties and free kicks were won by cheating. Ibrahimović won a Euro tie for Man Utd by two outrageous acts of cheating that resulted in two goals being scored. Enough.

I know I'll never support Eastleigh like I do Southampton (why would I want to?). I just want to watch a decent game of football without the histrionics, without the 'simulation', without the fawning 'experts' and without the prima donnas.

And, by the way, the facilities at Eastleigh are terrific now and improving all the time.

13. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I agree and Saints could,t manage without me....still a lot of fun to be had. However, I have followed a non league side and there is fun there as well.

fatletiss likes this.
  14. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Sad but unfortunately all very true. A few of you know I contemplated ditching my ST this year also. More for Sfc issues but there was certainly an element (significant, I should add) of the above. Yes, very sad regardless.

15. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

I also agree with a lot of this. It should be a booking to put the ball out of play for an injury - and I would allow physios onto the pitch during the game. I bet the number of injuries would fall to, well, actually injured people.

16. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

We know why you followed them though Fran.... it was our destiny :emoticon-0109-kiss:

17. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

I love watching football but I have to care who wins so it's only Saints for me. The problems identified are a frustration without doubt and this has to laid at the door of the administrators. It has to be made unprofitable to feign injury and there should be a change to the rules to make it so. Perhaps if it was mandatory for players who stay down on the deck to be stretchered off whilst the game carries on and then refused permission to rejoice n for 5 minutes? Not sure but there must be a way. And nobody will stop me supporting my team. The Winter would be too depressing without footy!

18. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Spot on. This is exactly what happens in both rugby codes and having physios on the pitch during play is hardly ever a problem.

19. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

In agreement with most you've written, but I suspect you'll be disappointed how many times at that level players scream out when somebody has nearly touched them.
    They see it on telly and well you know the rest .
    Good luck with it mate.

Lff and Saintmagic like this.
  20. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Sometimes I actually enjoy it more when I don't care who wins. Really looking forward to both the FA Cup and CL finals, two fascinating games and I have nothing invested emotionally so I can just enjoy the football.

Also intrigued by Man vs Ajax tomorrow.