1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ellis Short, what do you think then? Part Deux

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by J๏E.., Jan 21, 2017.

1. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

I like him, I think he did well here but went as far as he could.

The time to sell has come.

2. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

so many similarities to Randy Lerner at Villa. The fans hero to start with, but surrounding himself with people who know nowt about football and spending money on players (not good ones) sacking managers right left and centre and losing interest and closing the wallet. He's had his play thing now its time to sell and move on, however, I'm not sure who would want to buy a club with our debt right now.

3. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

The biggest Mistake Short has made is when Quinn stepped down as Chairman, he hired himself to take his place instead of hiring somebody who knows what they're doing.

4. Brian Storm

I'll add to that prediction: With the biggest uncontrollable debt the club has ever had which will lead us into administration resulting in the sales of our assests so we're left asking the Mags and Boro if we can borrow their ground for home matches but having to settle for Victoria Park.

5. Brian Storm

Here's the true parallel, not the lose example earlier on.

6. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Well I blame England!!

If them c u n t s had kept their noses out, we'd still have Big Sam and be in mid table noo!!!

Bart

7. Brian Storm

Doubt it myself, Our big money signings Papy and Ndong were top of Sam's shopping list anyway. Chances are he'd have the same problems to contend with as Moyes. This season had relegation fight written all over it regardless of who was in charge imo. It would be as unfair for Sam as it is for Moyes though and I'd be backing Sam to keep his job like I am with Moyes. Infact, we could be worse off as I can't see Sam ever taking the Chance on Big Vic like Moyes has.

Nostalgic and clockstander like this.
  8. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

I agree with Bart, mate. My opinion is, if Sam was still here we'd be at least 7 or 8 points better off and looking pretty comfortable.

We weren't working on a director of football model, so not sure why Moyes would want Sams main targets? The only players I knew Sam wanted was M'Vila (and Moyes didn't want him) and Sakho at West Ham.

Sam had all the players fighting for him and playing well, he was getting the best out of Kone, Khazri etc, and he was also keeping all of our players fit, mainly Kirchhoff who was absolutely outstanding, last season. He seemed better in the transfer market, than Moyes and I'm sure we would have improved even further during the pre-season, going into this season.

We'll never know with this one, as it will only ever be opinion but I truly believe we'd be in a much better place with Sam, than we are with Moyes.

9. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

We had a side that was looking confident and fairly solid at the end of last season. No matter who was in charge, there were 5 key things that needed to be done to keep that momentum going:
    - sign a new striker
    - retain (ideally) or adequately replace M'Vila
    - sign a CM of similar quality to complement M'Vila and Kirchhoff
    - replace Kaboul
    - sign a right back (or work on the performances of Billy Jones/Adam Matthews)
    Perhaps one and a half of those things have been adequately. We don't know if Sam Allardyce would have been able to do those things and we don't know how much of those things not happening is down to financial restrictions but they didn't happen and the summer recruitment was largely misguided. If those things had happened, I genuinely believe we would have been in a much better position than we are now.

Makemstine Roger and Brian Storm like this.
  10. Brian Storm

Cause Moyes came in half way through the window and with no time to asses his squad, he had to make signings, what else could he do other than bring in Sam's top targets from his scouting list formulated around the needs of our current squad. It will take any manager a good month to get an initial assessment of a new squad. What could he do? Shop blindly? Or follow the plan left by the very good outgoing manager? What Moyes spent after those two was peanuts in the current transfer market. We'll never know, all about opinions but it was reported by the Echo on Twitter about Papy and Ndong being Sam's top targets and it was widely reported Sam tried to sign Papy the window before but he chose Chelsea. There is enough info to aply a certain degree of logic to what transpired. I think we'd be in a relegation fight regardless, because the squad needed more investment than it got and would have needed it regardless of who was in charge.

But like you'll say we'll never know. Pointless area to visit really.