1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ellis Short, what do you think then? Part Deux

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by J๏E.., Jan 21, 2017.

1. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Asked this question on here last year, so what are your feelings of the man now? He seems quite an elusive bloke but if you go into him deeper, he never stops working, taking over failing businesses and banks and all kinds of wonderful **** like that..

As the Owner of our club though, what's your thoughts?

I will say again what I said last year and first said about 4 years ago that the man came here for a quick profit, a quick fix, call it what you want after being sold an idea from our then Chairman Niall Quinn, who was desperate for investment. Give Quinn his due like, he could sell cars and race horses but he hooked the major one in Short to get him and his merry band wagon of fellow compatriots out of the ****..

Like I have said so many times, we basically have an owner who came, invested and looked for profit from day 1 who has ended up, lending the club money at crazy rates by his own failings, his desperation of wanting a piece of the Premier League gravy train and the **** that was set out in the initial sell to him by a ****ing failing desperado ex-icon , he is clueless, has zero interest in the sport, ffs it's like baseball players at the SOL, how many would turn up? 200 at best and they would be foreigners..

That's my opinion anyway, enjoy the debate, one big ****ing mess at our club at the moment and personally, I blame these two ****ers, through greed and desperation..<ok>

article-2030486-0D80579E00000578-965_468x334.jpg

mackemwelder and Tel (they/them) like this.
  2. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

**** Short the greedy ****

3. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that anyone would get involved in with owning a professional football club who's prime motivation wasn't genuine interest in sport in general, even if football wasn't his primary interest. I also find hard to believe that a businessman of Short's standing wouldn't have looked into the ramifications of owning a Premier League club and what the likelihood of financial gain was.

What I can believe is that Ellis Short steadfastly and pigheadedly believed that he could achieve success in football his way and on his terms. His knowledge of the game appears to have been limited and he appears to have refused to learn from his mistakes until very late on. The people he surrounded himself with were either charlatans or had the same limited knowledge as himself. I read the other day that the Ricky Alvarez situation was down to an American with no knowledge of the game who held the position of club secretary and that the same person nearly cost us a points deduction.

The situation we're in is down to people in key positions not being fully equipped to do their jobs and because Short's belated realisation that he's in over his head has led to him panicking and turning the money tap off. I don't think he's malicious, just ill informed with regard to what he was getting involved in.

4. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

I like you, you put up a good argument in Short's defence..

But please do research Short further, he is a greedy ****er that looks for quick profit, he has ****ed us up as a club big style as has the hero that sold him the dream..

5. The Norton Cat

I will look him up. But I'm not defending him. I recognise that he's ****ed us up and I would happily see him go. His time in charge has been blighted by poor decision making and complete incompetence. To me, that's worse than being greedy. He's the custodian of something that belongs, spirtually at least, to the people of Sunderland and the diaspora of Sunderland ex pats and the fact that he hasn't taken care of it like any one of us would is unforgiveable.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  6. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

The fact in my belief is that he has taken the fans for granted so so many times, lied to them through the teeth like he did with the 'Moyes, I wanted him 5 years ago ****' and more so by his wall of silence on every issue that has affected the club during his tenure, he seems to like to pass the buck and not be accounted for and it's only when the pressure is on, he turns up, no longer tipping local waiters but digging himself out of a hole.

I also don't think he has one iota of interest in Football, just his next big deal..

7. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

We wouldn't have had the continuation of Premier league football, like we are doing for the first time in my lifetime, without Ellis Short. How could I possibly hate anybody who has done that?

Like was the case with Sir Bob Murray, he has simply gone as far as he can and it is now time to hand over the reigns to somebody else.

Yes, he's made mistakes with the people he has surrounded himself with, but who hasn't?

JustMeMan likes this.
  8. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

Hardly a quick profit. He's owned the club for years.

Time he sold the ****er now like. Then he can **** off and concentrate on his other wheeler dealer ****e.

9. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

He always had good intentions and has spend money. However he's appointed ****ing clowns to run the club and they (and him by association) have failed.

The buck stops with him and now he wants out and doesn't want to put any money into the club.

He ended up relegating us (prediction).

10. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Can't be arsed repeating but I agree with the bit in bold though..<ok>

11. JustMeMan

JustMeMan Well-Known Member

We've been a premier side since Ellis took over so I can't fault the guy.
    Might change after this after January?

12. JustMeMan

JustMeMan Well-Known Member

Spot on marra didn't see this when I posted.

13. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

It's all our own opinions lads..<ok>

We all see things different..

The Norton Cat likes this.
  14. The Norton Cat

I can well imagine that he did want Moyes for a long time but only because of the reputation Moyes got at Everton for achieving success on the cheap.

J๏E.. likes this.
  15. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

In fact, there are parallels between Murray and Short. Murray transformed the club with the new stadium and Peter Reid, but the one who eventually let him down was Reid with his lack of ability to replace the team he had built despite the amount of money he was given. Had we got some sort sort of traction and were competing in the top half then I can understand the argument for Short being in it for the money. He was part of Drumaville and bought them out when they struggled, which is how he ended up sole owner.

In his time Short has searched for a manager who could lift the club and his appointments after Keane have turned out to be inadequate. The money has been there, but like Reid, it was not particularly well spent in the end.

One thing stand out for me is that without Short we would be dead and buried.

16. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Tell you what mate, I have always given you the benefit of the doubt and it is all about opinions and seeing things as we do..

I was a season ticket over over the 19 point and 15 point seasons and Bob's hands were literally tied, I also remember the demo's outside the main entrance against Wigan in 2005/06 when the police rushed in a few kids got hurt, I got arrested that night for flattening two of the coppers.

To draw comparisons between Murray and Short tells me you have never been near that ground for a match for quite a few years?

Short was never part of the original Drumville, Quinn sold the Premier dream to him on a golf course in America when things were going tits up for the Drumville lot..

I'm legging it now, back to my real world..

Thanks for the input lads..<ok>

Billy Death likes this.
  17. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Not comparisons but parallels. Both wanted the best for the club and there financial support was thwarted by the footballing side .

FYI I was last in the SoL 2010 when on a visit to UK, gave up my season ticket in 2003 and endured the DivIII days and even saw us play at Shrewsbury and Wrexham. I have campaign medals for what I have been through with the club.

18. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  19. JammySAFC

JammySAFC Well-Known Member

He's a tosser. End of story.

20. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

He brought in good managers, but something behind the scenes has ****ed us up and I'd like to know what it was and who is responsible. Might not be him to be fair. You can't argue with the managers, though. Bruce, O'Neill, Poyet and Allardyce were all decent calls, even if they didn't work out. And Moyes is no slouch either...

clockstander likes this.