1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

efl new rule or is it additional rule or lesser rule

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by johngalleyfan2, Apr 7, 2017.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

English Football League clubs will have to name at least one "club-developed" player in their matchday squads from the start of the 2018-19 season.

A club-developed player is defined as one who has been registered to the club for at least a year before the end of his under-19 season.

Teams have previously had to include six home-grown players, defined as those registered with a club in England or Wales for three seasons, or 36 months, before their 21st birthday.

The last statement seems to state ambiguously that a) " had to ", so no more OR b) will still need to, but one of those may be a home grown U19 player? OR c) will be in addition to the " 6 ".

I think that in all divisions at any given time during a match , that's on the pitch, there should be at least 3 if not 4 players who are eligible for the national squad. This should also be a template for all teams who play in European leagues, that have teams who qualify or play in champions league or the other compo whatever they might call it / rebrand it as.

2. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Under EU rules we couldn't limit players from within the EU, does this mean under Brexit that the FA and Premier League can change this ruling?

3. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

From what I read, it would be difficult to stop free movement in football given that there are so many here already. The only way they can do it would be to faze it out. There was some question on the other way as well. As Real Madrid had a few non Europeans so technically Bale would of had to be classed as overseas.
    Trust me that's the short version that I read :)

4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

There is an interesting item on page 151 PARAGRAPH 11, subsection 2l, paragraph 3 sentence 3 ..................:emoticon-0105-wink::emoticon-0105-wink: