1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Effectively relegated tomorrow

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by DAPARKERSAFC, Mar 10, 2017.

1. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

If Bournemouth beat West Ham they'll go to 30 points.

Looking at the forms of Swansea Leicester and Palace under new management I think they are all safe as houses now so our only hope of survival was Bournemouth take our place and drop with Boro and Hull.

If they beat West Ham they go 11 clear of us with Boro and Burnley still to play at home. Plus a trip to our place.

Saturday 11th March 2017. A nail in the coffin of Sunderland Association football club?

2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I think we will be relegated but never stop looking for the glimmer of hope.

Regardless of that, to say that Bournemouth, who are currently 8 points ahead and simply state that all the rest are uncatchable because of their reversal of fortune is looking far too hard for something negative.

I think we'll go down, but I won't think it's over until the gap is far larger than any 6 points

mackemwelder likes this.
  3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Lots of twists and turns yet.

LAMackem likes this.
  4. RedNWhite4Life

RedNWhite4Life Well-Known Member

We still have to play Burnley West Ham Swansea and Bournemouth at home as well as Boro Leicester Hull and Watford away. 8 winnable games there. Highly doubtful we will win them all I know but while there's points to play for I won't give up.

Nacho and RTB like this.
  5. David Moyes' Stupid Face

David Moyes' Stupid Face Well-Known Member

I think Palace are our best bet.

Their fixture list is hideous - all the top 6 left to play plus saints and a revitalised Leicester. They do have Burnley Hull and Watford to play at home but those are probably their only realistic chances of points...

6. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Like in all the past few seasons the pray mat will be out. I agree with Cumbrianmackem.....there will be a few more twists and turns yet. I don't feel the optimism as in the other seasons. Everything is just so flat right now. Maybe this emanates from the board room and sideline. The signage around the pitch of keeping the faith just doesn't sit well with me....signing a big lad upfront in January is keeping the faith and us fans not getting thrown under the bus.

7. Billy Death

Billy Death Well-Known Member

I couldn't give a **** anymore.
    I have more on my mind than them twats.

8. Libby

Libby 9-0

Wouldn't rely on that. Sams great at picking up points in away games they're not expected.

9. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

That 3 would take them to 34 points and I think they'll beat an Arsenal type of the top 6

10. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Nice cheery thread for a Friday. You can't predict which games we'll do well in as we lurch from winning games to getting spanked seemingly at random.

All I know is that we're finally getting players back from injury, historically we do well at the back of the season and regardless of what happens in other games unless we're down mathematically then we aren't down.

hettonist likes this.

11. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Burney is crucial, beat them and confidence will come back and set us up for the next match. Get beat and we're as good as down cos the heads will be right down then. If they can't motivate themselves for that game we may as well chuck the towel in then.

LAMackem, Libby and cumbrianmackem like this.
  12. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

We have some winnable games and with our returning players we ain't no way down yet. All to play with the players to do it.

13. Libby

Libby 9-0

As an outsider, this is spot on for me. If you fail to beat Burnley then you're gone imo.

If I'm honest, I have to say that I think this the year your luck runs out, but if you beat Burnley you might go on a run. With injuries coming back you might have a chance, is Kirchoff back soon? Guys a class act.

Actually on the topic of Burnley, how many points do they have now? They're away form is shocking and have more away games left due to their game with Pool being switched at beginning of season.

For me, Boro have gone and they will finish bottom. Hull will probably go too, they've got the best manager imo but are massively short of quality.

I did think Leicester will go too but the little bounce they have now will probably get them enough points.

You're most likely to join them right now, like I say I think you're luck has run out but beat Burnley and you never know...

I hope I'm wrong and you do it, can't help but have a soft spot for a team in red & white stripes who do the great escape every year ;)

Though I really hope it's not at Bournemouths expense.

mackemwelder likes this.
  14. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

Unless he gets injured again this week, Kirchoff will almost definitely start against Burnley. As you say, he's a class act and his accurate passing and calmness on the ball is something we haven't see all season and will make a massive difference.

Not commenting on the rest cos i'm too hungover. But spot on :emoticon-0148-yes:

15. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Things will look different as long as we win our next game.

It's looking bad but have not totally given up all hope yet.

Bart

16. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Until it is mathematically impossible for us to stay up there is always a glimmer of hope.
    The return of Kirchhoff might improve us in midfield but we will still lack dynamism in that area. For the number of central midfielders we have its shocking how poor we are in that part of the pitch.
    What would really make a difference is a change in approach. We have to try and take games by the scruff of the neck, not continue with this passive soak-up-the-pressure-and-hope-to-nick-something approach. We don't have the players or the pace to play like Leicester did last season. We need to get Khazri and (because there is no one else) Januzaj on the pitch and on the ball, looking to cause opponents problems. If we continue giving space and possession away, we've had it.

17. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Thing is I'm not relying too much on Kirchhoff because his though he's great on the ball etc. we're lacking the pressing midfielder, like Catts.

We don't pressure teams enough when they have the ball and not sure Jan will add a great deal in that respect.

18. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

Past the stage of being bothered now.

Still hoping obviously but nothing`s changed over the last 3 seasons. Plenty of opportunities, none taken.

19. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

Moyes will play Kirchhoff in a 2 6's formation to make sure he negates and positive effect he may have. It's becoming increasingly clear Moyes would rather go down than play Sam's (successful) system or players. He's the worst kind of fool, a stubborn one.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  20. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

You might be right but it's a very negative defeatist post. As a Sunderland fan you should be experienced on our rollercoaster - it's never over till the fat lady sings and she's waitng 'till well into April.
    I don't consider Bournemouth as a relegation rival - I still feel 3 from Leicester Swansea Boro Hull and us -
    Try and keep (blind) faith - even tho' its hard <doh> :emoticon-0148-yes: