1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Effect of Brexit

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Davylad, Mar 26, 2016.

1. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Judging the outcome of Brexit on one of Wetherspoon's outlets is illogical. The man has clearly expressed his view that Brexit is the best option. This clearly does not preclude him from doing business in Ireland.

There is a growing interest in Ireland about the possibility to leave the EU. A push by the eurocrats for greater control over corporation tax will see a major bust up with Ireland.

Will Ireland follow Britain in leaving the European Union? | IrishCentral ...

Ireland should not rule out leaving EU, says ex-diplomat | Politics | The ...

Wolfgang Münchau: Ireland may have to consider leaving EU

2. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My goodness you have been digging deep. Nothing current, all before the current Prime Minister was elected, and he is even more hard line that the last one over Ireland staying in the EU. You probably haven't noticed but a new electricity cable is now being laid all the way from France to Ireland. The need to buy over priced electricity from the UK will soon disappear. Just another little drip, drip, drip as people and services leave the UK.

3. superhorns

What the reports above say there will be many problems for the Irish when Brexit happens. The obvious answer to most is to also leave the EU. After the UK proves Brexit to be a success there will be others. Italy and Greece should have left years ago.

4. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The reports you place such touching faith in are totally out of date. They were written before anyone including the UK government had the slightest idea what route would be taken. As someone pointed out this week the EU is totally united, and as the problems with detail become more and more obvious, only a deluded individual would believe that there will be a happy outcome for the UK unless they draw back from their current position. We have seen that they are taking backward steps in asking for an extension of time, but until other issues move forward this will not be considered.

5. superhorns

The former Irish ambassador and senior Irish civil servant Dr Ray Bassett disagrees with you. His publication concludes Ireland would be better off outside of the EU. He state Irexit has to be considered. 'It would be a dereliction of national duty not to consider all the options available in such challenging circumstances'.

after brexit, will ireland be next to exit? - Policy Exchange

6. superhorns

Your anti-Brexit stance is becoming more isolated from UK public opinion by the day. You only have to look at the news to see EU members bitching at each other, far from united. Having a transitional period may have helped all concerned but I'm quite prepared for there to be no deal. The bully boy tactics from the EU will only further unite the British people. There will always be a minority of dissenting Brits scattered around Europe who the UK government decided they should not qualify for a vote anyway.

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Policy Exchange is a UK based anti EU organization, so I take what they write with a pinch of salt. You only have to read what they say about Leo Varadkar and his hard line views of staying within the EU.

So you are happy for there to be no deal. Why are government ministers agreeing that is a policy of chaos? Your showing all the signs already of looking for others to blame, rather than the government who got the country into the current mess.

8. superhorns

It does not matter how much information is presented to you your 'three monkey's attitude' stops you from actually absorbing any of it.

It is clear the EU negotiators have had instructions to prioritise keeping the EU 'banger' project on the road at all costs. Bits are regularly falling off only to be stuck back on with duct tape, short term fixes. Although the 'banger' fails the MOT every year it keeps being pushed until its inevitable destination, the scrapyard.

There is only one side clearly looking to negotiate an amicable settlement, no wonder a growing number of Brits want out a.s.a.p.

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Maybe you would like to comment on some real information and how you would deal with the problems it describes. As it says at the end of the article, "The government created the problem for the country, it is the state that is toying with the idea of interrupting the supply chain, it’s their problem, they have to solve it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...leaving-customs-union-holyhead-ireland-brexit

10. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Yes...the EU are desperate for an amicable settlement, at the least, for all the trade purposes you trot out as evidence we will get a great deal......

The Uk upset the applecart and expects special treatment etc....

11. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Here's a question to our hard Brexit friends:

upload_2017-8-16_10-28-24.png

I would

Would you?

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Strangely enough I was asked to express a view on this in an e-mail I received. The question came from the EU Parliament who thanked me for my time after I responded. I still await replies to e-mails I sent to my MP several months ago. Which Parliament is the most interested in individuals I wonder?

13. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Already do hold dual citizenship - but would like to swap from British/Australian to Scottish/Australian... <whistle>

14. superhorns

The UK is looking for a reasonable trading agreement which benefits both sides. The problem with the EU side is that it has baggage of not letting any other member dare want to leave the gang. Brussels will employ bully boy tactics until some of its members claim it is causing too much self harm. The intimidation will eventually fail and the UK will show it can thrive outside of the straightjacket of the EU.

The UK has always should up to aggression from Europe, sometimes alone, this is no different.

15. superhorns

Unemployment in the UK has fallen to 4.4% - its lowest since 1975. The number of people in work has risen to the highest since 1971.

As part of the Brexit negotiations and to add some goodwill the UK government should offer seminars to leading government officials from other EU countries to teach them how to run an economy with near full employment. The French and Italians should take note as their unemployment figures are particularly high.

16. superhorns

New report out,

One in five unemployed people in the UK are migrants, official figures have revealed for the first time.

The figures show that 317,000 migrants are unemployed, including 98,000 who were born in the EU and 219,000 born outside the EU.

The proportion of EU migrants who are unemployed is 4 per cent, while the proportion of migrants from outside the EU who are unemployed is 6.2 per cent. The overall unemployment rate of migrants is 5.3 per cent.

The number of Romanians and Bulgarians working in the UK has risen by a third over the past year to a record 362,000 in the wake of the vote to leave the European Union.

17. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

This is no time to be ressurrecting the Dunkirk spirit SH. - or are you trying to draw parallels which don't exist ? Do you dispute the fact that there will be some sort of exit bill ? This will be calculated by drawing together legally binding financial commitments (which Britain is signed up to) eg. to longer term budget items such as road and rail projects. Other legally binding commitments such as in less developed regions. Long term obligations and liabilities such as pension promises and contingent loan guarantees. These will be offset by reimbursing the UK. with a share of its EU. assets (admittedly disputed by some countries) and by reimbursing the UK. for the share of budget and project money which would have been spent on Britain. All that has been negotiated so far is the sequence of when each matter will be discussed and the agreement to some sort of down payment. The only actual figures which have come out so far have been estimates from the Financial Times. This is not a ransom - but rather a realistic assessment of Britain's liabilities. Don't forget also that Britain has been underpaying for years in relation to its share of the EU. GDP - not that this will be taken into account. It is also a well known fact that Britain had its way more often than any other country in shaping the EU. - Britain voted for 95% of all EU. laws. How can anyone take the argument seriously that Britain wants changes to the freedom of movement principle when it was Britain that encouraged East European membership and opened its doors to them (the first country to do so) whilst other EU. nations wanted a more transitional approach ?

18. superhorns

I'll answer later, I've laid 7 sq m of paving today single handed. Knackered, soak in the bath with a beer in a minute.

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Just one of the sums that has to be included is the £1bn loan from the European Investment Bank for the Crossrail Project. This bank is jointly owned by all all the members, and I am sure they would like to see their money returned.

20. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

A bit more on the European Investment Bank. The UK capital invested in the bank is €3.3 bn. During an eight year period the UK has borrowed €42 bn for projects all around the country. These loans are at lower rates for EU members than can be obtained elsewhere, and usually have fixed term repayments of up to 30 years. We could safely assume that these loans would not be called in on Brexit, but we could be paying money owed for many years to come. Quite where we go for capital project funding is not known, but it is likely to cost more.