1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Effect of Brexit

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Davylad, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Cornish Mark

Cornish Mark Well-Known Member

This is why I do not participate in this thread. If posters just posted honest views then I would. But when there are posts whose only purpose is to wind up another, and not express a genuine viewpoint, then I will not take part.

Hornet-Fez likes this.
  2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I expect an apology from you SH... if you think you can 'experiment' in ways like this on these boards you are wrong. It is not acceptable and not one member of this community supports your behaviour.

If you continue to find this message board 'hostile' to you then you know what you can do....
    As someone once said

"Shape up or Ship out"

3. yorkshirehornet

Totally understood Mark......

4. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

And so it continues. You knew exactly what I meant mentioning France and yet you persist on following your own course and again miss or in this instance ignore the pertinent point. I'm done here for the time being, I'll be back when the quality of the debate improves. I can but hope.

5. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Hopefully you can add some substance to any debate next time.

6. yorkshirehornet

I think it is only fair to comment at this time for the benefit of members of this board that more people are now using the ignore function for the time being....

People can still participate without having to experience the level of abuse that has been fostered.

7. superhorns

Hopefully Toby will not have any more bad days so will refrain from insults in the future.

8. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/government-is-letting-me-down/

I don't know what to make of this case - Brexit or no Brexit, surely she has some entitlement to claim help?

*Dutch national meets UK national in Holland in 2009 - moves to Aberdeen with him in 2009
    *Becomes ill, husband gives up work to become her carer
    *Married in 2013
    *Husband murdered in 2016 - murderer commits suicide
    *DWP withdraw financial support

Ridiculous really - and all I can say is that, if Welfare was a devolved responsibility in Scotland, I have extreme doubts that this poor woman would be facing a life on the streets...

9. aberdeenhornet

aberdeenhornet Well-Known Member

I see folk elsewhere objecting to her having got £400 a week when others even with cancer didn't get that but that's not the point. Impossible to know the absolute right and wrong in the specific case without more information, I seem to recall at the time of the incident drugs were involved but that may have been a rumor. What I would say is that when they were married she should have got her British Nationality, it's the first thing I did with my wife when we came back here who is Venezuelan, there are masses of things you miss out on if you choose to remain foreign in land of settlement (I always have remained foreign for British consulate protection). Brexit hasn''t affected this case at all but will if implemented effectively force people to choose their basis of settlement in a more informed manner (if borders do go up all is wishwash until they pull the trigger). As for devolving welfare to Scotland where would they get the funds to pay people under a different rules system even if they wanted to (which they would not do)? The rules under which this individual loses benefits are those that a person migrating to the country must be seeking work or have had work here. I can't think of a better policy, do you really think any administration would make benefits available on demand on arrival for anybody not seeking or incapable of work? If so how are you paying for it?

10. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

That pisses me off. I would love Cornish to engage. If we're all civil (and, yes, I know I went a bit overboard when I thought Asimov was insulting people, which I thought we resolved with apology and several PMs) then we can learn from each other. If I can't read Cornish's views because he doesn't want to post for that reason, that really annoys me. The idea that this a lefty backslapping exercise is bull. They are only a couple of people from the left of left, but someone makes out as if this is a Burgess/Maclean/Fuchs/Philby Fan Club. <laugh>

11. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

The ignore function works rather well.... it was either that or a Tobyesque rant (and seriously, who can blame him?) following our resident fascist's asinine comment to my last post.

12. yorkshirehornet

Yes ignore on here too...... maybe we can continue with a half decent debate .....

13. superhorns

The village idiot staying up way past his bedtime.

14. superhorns

I'm afraid you was pretty hopeless with the ignore button last time, maybe with a bit more training...

15. yorkshirehornet

In principle i agree with this.... i think most people do ...

I am thinking too of very traumatised authentic refugees and asylum seekers who may really struggle to work and who will need some support

16. superhorns

US republican chiefs reaffirmed Boris Johnson during his visit to Washington that the UK will definitely be at the front of the line for a post-Brexit bilateral trade deal.

Tony Abbott, one of Australia's most senior politicians said he hoped for a rapid trade deal with the UK. He said the movement of goods between the two countries should be entirely free of tariffs, adding : Brexit means that Britain is back' He also remarked that Britain and the world would be better after Brexit, as it would no longer be inward looking towards Europe but truly engaged with the rest of the world.

Meanwhile, New Zealand's proposed trade deal with the EU is in deep trouble. A senior politician has stated: 'we need to face facts and put our energies into a more likely trade deal with the UK after its separation from the EU".

In a mark of confidence the German owned Rolls Royce has pledged the firm's future firmly in the UK.

17. Bolton's Boots

I don't know how long it is since you came back here, but the rules are probably different now - as this case may show http://www.thenational.scot/news/14...fice_try_to_split_up_another_Highland_family/ . I arrived here with my family in 2004 - self, wife, three sons and step-daughter. Having dual nationality, meant no problem for me. My Australian-born wife has a UK passport thanks to her father having being born in England, no problem for her. My three sons also have dual nationality through me, so no problem for them either. My step-daughter however is Australian born and has no entitlement to claim British nationality - she was only allowed in on a 12 month visa. I had to jump through hoops to get her the right to stay permanently - but no British nationality. The Home Office opinion was that a 12 year-old was fair game to be sent back to the country of her birth where she had no family. She was then told that she has the right to apply for nationality after living here continuously for nine years - but in light of the recent spate of cases similar to the above, is loathe to do that - just in case. She is hoping for Scottish Independence, which will makes things much easier for people in her circumstances.

The issue of 'where would they get the funds' would only come into play under Independence, not Devolution. For example, Education is devolved to Scotland - but there is no expectation that Scotland raise the money to fund that. Funding comes out of the UK Education budget and is spent on Education by the SG according to their policies and priorities - not by Westminster & their policies & priorities. There is no plausible reason for that to be any different should Welfare be devolved - not forgetting that this Union is supposedly one of 'equal partners'. There would be no justification for England taking advantage of the resultant reduced Education budget by hanging on to the reduction for themselves.

18. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

I don't know if this still applies, but if you are born in Jersey and none of your parents or grandparents are born in any of the home nations, you require a permit to work in the UK and your passport has that put into it. It used to be that if you are born outside of marriage, only your mothers family counted. Luckily for my ex-stepson (is that correct?), my ex-mother-in-law was from Surrey. The ridiculous thing was that he was only 8 or 9 at the time - he's now 22. I don't know if the rules have changed so that the father's family is included.

19. Bolton's Boots

20. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If it is such a good idea why not do it now, nothing to stop them as far as I can see? I watched her in PMQs today, and she really looked and sounded that it was getting on top of her. I think that we see there is a huge vacuum in Westminster, and matters will only get worse. Ministers are bracing themselves to lose the Supreme Court appeal says another report, and the Court is refusing to give the government an early sight into the judgement. As I forecast back in December there would be trouble over N.Ireland and that is slowly coming to pass. As the SNP asked today how can the government consult with them over Brexit if there is no legislature to consult with? The shocking figures coming from the NHS also should not be ignored as they will have to be dealt with. From June this year if I go to visit my doctor, instead of paying €23 I will pay €25. There is the same pressure on health services here, but no one is complaining about this increase if it means maintaining the present high standards. To tell local authorities that they can increase Council Tax to pay for social care is an underhand way of deflecting the cost away from government. Time for them to get a real grip of the situation they have created, and be honest for once.