1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Early goals

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Malky is quoted today in the Watty Obs as saying he does not know why we are conceding so many early goals. I am not knocking him but perhaps he should know that.

I don't get to the matches much any more so cannot say from the play but one factor I would guess is involved is lack of suitable alternatives. I am not saying the players we have are poor (although actually I guess I do think that at LB) but that in a strong team with money and resources you have reserves queueing up to pounce on your place if you have a bad game or two. Our inexperienced young and no doubt now tired squad does not have that competition so the focus can drift more easily without penalty.

What do others - especially those who actually get to the games think?

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

You could have a valid point there Leo - but, Saturday's early goal was entirely down to Lloydinho - hardly young and inexperienced, and fresh from a short break!

I'm a little bemused by Malky's talk of "so many early goals". Tuesday night's made it two in two - not really an alarming stat IMO. However, if it happens again against Leeds............

3. Roger68

Roger68 Active Member

And Tuesdays was down to Eustace, again not an inexperienced fellow.Every member of the back 5 has a weak spot and collectively they can seem nervous on occasion. So conceding goals is to be expected. A good job we have a 27 goal a season striker to keep us competitive. But the chance he missed on Tuesday was probably easier than every one of the 27 he has scored from this season....

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Cant remember exactly what he said but something about 5 in ten or fifteen games.

Aber - you are probably right - hopefully they are just up playing FIFA 2011 or whatever the latest incarnation is

5. harrowhorn

harrowhorn Active Member

....and nothing to do with Eustace giving it away 30 yards out with an abysmal pass?

6. harrowhorn

harrowhorn Active Member

Ooops, should read more carefully - yep, Saturday's goal was Lloyd (Loach could've done better!)

7. harrowhorn

harrowhorn Active Member

I'm not sure what Tiny's weak spot is! Mapps has been superb this season as well.

8. zen guerrilla

zen guerrilla Well-Known Member

There was Tudgay's goal at Forest after one minute and the goal Leeds got earlier after 6. I think Malky has a point but it is for him to fix the problem.

9. Sir_Luther_Blissett

I've been a student this year and haven't been able to go at all due to lack of money and excessive workload... please excuse the following commercial
    please log in to view this image

Welcome back.

I've said for years that if these players were the finished article, they wouldn't be playing at this level. We (Mrs SLB is an Arsenal fan) watched a frothy little comedy on ITV1 last night entitled 'Champions League Football' and even at that level there were shocking errors.

And, BTW, Lloydinho is the Chosen One.

Current STH pray continue :wink:.

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Arsenal and Lloydhino - you know haw to choose them SLB :)

11. Sir_Luther_Blissett

No offence taken at the "frothy little comedy" quote, I trust :wink: ?

12. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Very true SLB. One of my biggest dislikes of televised football is having to watch players constantly haranguing referees over (possibly) wrong decisions that they have made. If the shoe was on the other foot, and the fans were allowed to crowd around players who made a mistake, games would never finish.

Why can't everyone accept that everyone is human (except for GT and Lloydinho and DG.......) and that mistakes will be made - and simply get on with the game?

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

None at all SLB - Spurs achieved far more this year than they expected and the best bit was they survived longer than the Ars*n*l :)

14. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Hopefully yet another trophyless season for Wenger

15. Sir_Luther_Blissett

Mrs SLB read that and wishes you all the best in next year's Champions League <whistle>.

16. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Well that is very kind of her but we have to get promoted to the Premiership first :1980_boogie_down:

Spurs however have a game in hand on Man City and are just 3 points behind and still to play in Manchester where I think they have a recent track record of winning almost every time

Please repay my compliments by congratulating Mrs SLB on her team for probably managing to achieve yet another bridesmaid's gown. Will they ever win anything ever again and unlike their successful North London neighbours do they remember the joy of winning a trophy :)

17. Sir_Luther_Blissett

<laugh> I'll leave you two to fight this one out :wink:. She's a karate black belt so I'd watch what you say <whistle> (I made the mistake ten years ago of drunkenly saying "Come on then, Hong Kong Phooey, if you're so tough..." - you can guess what happened next... which was a bit like that famous US General in the American Civil War whose last words were: "Pah! They couldn't hit an elephant from th...")

18. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

19. Norwayhornet

Norwayhornet Well-Known Member

Sounds very painful SLB ,can see why you havent repeated the exercise<laugh>

20. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

We have scored a few early goals too, remember