1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Early and late goals our undoing again

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Dec 26, 2016.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

OK back to simples......... "Pearson did you said so"
    .. 2013/14 Leicester - Nigel Pearson ....promoted

Other 'proven' managers at clubs over those years included Owen Coyle, Steve McClaren, Ian Holloway, Malky Mackay, Chris Hughton, Neil Warnock, Nigel Pearson
    In short, if you pursued a 'proven' manager, chances are you wouldn't get promoted!

ONLY 3 MANAGERS CAN GET PROMOTED so if there are 5 [managing teams as you follow up with] 2 will dip out 5 - 3 =2 if 6 then 6 -3 =3 will dip out etc

(a comment) Warnock is in your list of proven, and last season Rotherham destined for lge 1 stayed in the championship... bit like being promoted, with Warlocks help.

you actually say the only ones ...Redknapp, Bruce and possibly Jokanovic omitting Pearson

next phrase you put Pearson in your "proven ones, over the same time" ............ was there 2 different managers both named Nigel Pearson?

2. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

You agreeing with RR or disagreeing?

4. johngalleyfan2

not sure what you mean regarding RR

5. Red Alert

RR's point about lesser managers.

6. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Well no, because Pearson should be omitted. At the time that Pearson was appointed as manager of Leicester, he was not 'proven' in Championship success, so of course he should have been omitted. And yes, he should be put into that second list, because he is now proven in that sense. I don't understand why you're doing this 5 - 2 thing, I listed 5 managers as examples, it's not a mathematical thing.

The fact is, the majority of managers who got promoted in the past 3 seasons were not 'proven' in the sense that RR is trying to convey. It's absolutely incorrect to think that getting a big, highly-paid name will get you promoted, and going by the facts above, chances are it won't get you promoted.

And I'm sorry, but counting Warnock's 'promotion' as a success is a daft argument mate. If I was to suggest something similar for my argument you'd be laughing your head off, so it's not valid either side.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  7. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Notice he never mentioned LJ in that scenario as he too got us promoted from the bottom three as well.
    You're wasting your time trying to get anything out of him mate. All you will get is riddles.

BCFCRob likes this.
  8. Red Alert

I'm going to quote myself. Readings goals. Where was the midfield and what was it doing!!!!

9. johngalleyfan2

absolutely not mathematical in the sense it involves complex sums/ division/ algebra .. but you state
    x number of managers and if you have one doesn't mean to say you will be promoted .. totally agree BUT the agreement comes with the point that if there are 5 or 6 or 7 or 11 or any number over 4 proven managers at any time in one season only 3 could possibly get promotion so 1 will dip out .. you could have 6 proven managers and one get promoted other 2 heckingbottom and junior ...:emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl:

10. BCFCRob

Still struggling to understand that. Simply put, people are saying that we need an experienced manager to get us promoted. Fact is, the majority of clubs that go up do NOT have an experienced manager. I have no idea what point you're trying to make, apart from the fact that only 3 could get promotion, which I'm aware of.

If, as you say, there are 6 'proven' managers and only 1 goes up, surely that proves my point correct and not yours? <doh>

11. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Is it a fitness or concentration thing when we conceded so many late goals. The last 2 goals for Reading were absolutely shambolic defending, 6 or 7 behind the ball yet not a single player challenging or closing down the space.
    The coaching team are partly to blame, but a huge slice of the blame has to rest with the players, some of whom we've been here before with at least 1 if not 2 managers. Anyone can play well when the goings good, maybe we have a few 'bottlers' that need weeding out?

12. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

It is Mr Johnsons team. His selection. His team. He has talked about high tempos, high lines and pressing then sends out a team and formation to do something else. Mr Johnson is to blame.

There are players in the team who have proven they cannot do the above. However Mr Johnson plays them. Mr Johnson is too blame

If the midfield line was higher up the pitch - Reading are out of shooting range, but as the game wore on two lines became one, but Mr Johnson instead of imploring his team further up the pitch stood inactive on the touchline as the inevitable unfolded. Mr Johnson is too blame.

Mr Johnson has been given large sums money to spend and a lengthy contract to implement this style of football without the ball.

There is no excuse for Mr Johnson to not demonstrate just why he has earned his on the face of it his extravagant contract extension.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  13. BCFCRob

Can't you just call him Lee?

RedorDead and Angelicnumber16 like this.
  14. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

It is a courtesy... I will stick to Mr Johnson which is far more polite than what I have read on forums and heard in the Dolman stand Saturday.

BCFCRob likes this.
  15. Red Alert

I hope it is now a thing of the past but did you expect City to play counter attack from 35 yards out at home and not concede?

16. johngalleyfan2

You get yourself lost in trying to find something to reply to when there is no need . I simply re iterated your comment, pointed out how correct/ incorrect your statement was and added some superfluous detail to explain / point out your comment on calling it mathematical in #46 ...I don't understand why you're doing this 5 - 2 thing, I listed 5 managers as examples, it's not a mathematical thing