1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Dwight Gale

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Jun 26, 2016.

1. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Good buy for me, has experience at this level and will score goals. As someone else has said he will stretch teams with his pace and create opportunities for others as well as finding the net.

Just read he was Palace's top scorer for the last three years as well which is a positive.

magpie290761 likes this.
  2. Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck Active Member

He's a terrific option to have as he'd play off of the shoulder of the last defender and get many goals that way. Not too dissimilar to Arma but with more experience.

magpie290761 likes this.
  3. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

For me the jury is out on him. Marked out of a game too easily(?) and I'm not sure he's Premier League standard.

I will keep an open mind and give him a couple of games before I start heckling and booing him from the sidelines.

4. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Very good signing imo. He knows the Championship, he's a quality finisher and he's got bags of pace too.

magpie290761 likes this.
  5. daztoc

daztoc Well-Known Member

We aren't in the PL.................... he just needs to get us there.

6. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Was waiting for that reply. When you spend £10m on a player he needs to be able to play in the Premier League. Just my opinion and maybe he will do the job long term. Like I say, I'll have to make a judgement over time.

Flash likes this.
  7. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

He's ****e

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  8. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Isn't he a 1 in 3 striker? A striker who was top goalscorer for a PL team yet only started 34 games in 3 years? Sounds better than our strikers!

magpie290761 likes this.
  9. Tasty Magpie

Tasty Magpie Well-Known Member

I must admit to not being super excited about signing Gayle, but most Crystal Palace fans seem to feel that it's a good purchase for NUFC:

‘Good luck to the kid, he’s gone to a club with great historic pedigree and if he starts scoring for Newcastle he will become a legend for them.’

‘Newcastle fans should be delighted. They got themselves a real gem there. Hard worker, young, potential and ability. If he is used correctly it could greatly benefit both Dwight and Newcastle. I’m sad to see him go but I wish him all the best. A good fresh start for the lad.’

‘That’s in doubt if you ask Mssrs Pardew, Pulis, Warnock and Holloway.’

‘Smart move all round that WILL develop both players concerned. I’m delighted that Dwight has gone to a club like Newcastle as despite Championship status, expectations of immediate promotion will be immense , and that challenge in itself for The Toon faithful will help nurture and push his game on. Time will tell that in the big league and in the bigger picture, that Dwight’s best is yet to come….but it will because it can.’

‘In the cold hard light of day getting Townsend for 3 million is fantastic business whichever way you look at it.

A player who has scored goals up to and including international level, against one who has scored (for whatever reason) 5 goals a season.

I wish Dwight Gayle all the success he deserves. But I would have done that deal in a heartbeat.’

‘Long term he wasn’t the answer for us but I reckon if Newcastle use him in the right way and often enough, he could easily hit 20-25 in a season.’

‘I’ll be backing him for Championship top scorer next season if it looks as though he’ll be Newcastle’s main striker, his scoring record for us has been fantastic.

Though the goals per appearance stat is fairly modest at around 1 in 4, it is slightly misleading given how often he came on as a sub. Perhaps a fairer stat is minutes per goal which in his case is 138. To put that in context, Vardy scored every 131 minutes in the league last season.

Good luck to him, shame he didn’t quite have the all round game to prosper in our system.’

‘That includes the goals he always banged in against the sh*te teams in the league cup.

Prem is not as great – 15 in 2735 premier league minutes – 182 mins per goal. Not bad but not as prolific as some make out.

Should do well for Newcastle, just unfortunate that it’s very difficult to play 443 in the Prem these days.’

‘Unbelievable bit of business.

Dwight was never a proper Prem quality striker but thanks for 3-3 and the Villa and Burnley goals. You will do very well in The Championship. Twenty goals easily. I’m glad he is gone tbh.’

‘Good luck and hope all goes well for you in Newcastle, just keep off the Brown Ale….its a killer.’

‘Was a fan of Dwight but at the end of the day it’s good business for us, I’m sure he will do very well next season, will never forget that 3-3 with the scousers good luck Dwight !!’

‘Good luck to Dwight. He gave us some truly memorable moments. I think this probably works well for him and us.’
    ‘In my opinion, this player is a true box man who has an innate and phenomenal eye for goal.

In the Championship I’m thinking that a bet for him to be top scorer looks the deal here. I agree that he’s capable of scoring any amount given the squad, the manager and a sympathetic system. I don’t know what odds you’ll get but I’m having a look.’

‘Shame we have sold Dwight Gayle as I don’t think he really got the run that he deserved.

Hope he does really well and I for one will be keeping tabs on him. Not keen on looking out for NUFC results but never mind.’

‘I have always said that Gayle could be a revelation in the Championship. This could be a terrific signing for Newcastle.’

‘Not a massive fan of NUFC but I hope he bags them an insane number of goals. Hat-tricks home and away against Brighton would be nice.’

‘Best of luck to him. He’ll rip up the championship with some good service.

We never played the style of play that suits his game so he became a bit part player which is a shame, I’d like to have seen what he could do with a set-up that suits him.’

‘He won’t be top scorer next season I don’t think.

What’s with everyone going on like he’s world class, he looked good for us because we had no other strikers who could score a goal.

Good luck to him but £10 mill for a player who doesn’t suit us? Fantastic bit of business.’

‘No one is saying he is ‘World Class’.

And after Monday Night all Englishman would agree we have NONE.

What they are saying is in a two up front he will do very well.’

‘Good deal all round, he should be back in the Prem soon, he’ll score loads for NUFC and we get a very good sum of money out of it which almost wipes out the Townsend fee.’

‘Just a shame that he generally seemed to find the net in the insignificant games at the end of the season or in the cup. Hopefully NUFC will find a way to get him going for a full season and he’ll hit his potential.’

‘I think he’ll do very well at Newcastle in the Championship. I remember when we got promoted and I was thinking about (realistic) wish lists of players for us to sign, he was top of the list – and then he signed. I was delighted.

Good luck to him – in a front 2 I think he will get an absolute $hitload in that league with good service.’

‘All the best to the lad, I just hope it doesn’t come back and bite us on the arse.’

10. magpie290761

magpie290761 Well-Known Member

People keep mentioning the price but take a look at the fees being talked about in the PL. £10M is small money now due to the tv riches on offer. Yes the lad is a bit of a gamble but he's championship proven and should be a great replacement for Cisse who will probably go. Arma is a great replacement for Rivierre who will hopefully go and with Perez, Mitro and if he stays De Jong who can play the so called number 10 role we probably now just lack that option as cover/competition for Mitro. Preferably someone capable of being the main man and also able to play alongside Mitro like we had with Shearer Ferdinand or Shearer Ferguson. Just got to trust in Rafa but remember also that getting players this year will be very tough as we are in the Championship not the PL and the PL this year is awash with cash. Remember also that no manager gets it right with every signing, just the best ones are right more often than than the others.

11. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

We'll that's a bizarre quote.
    1 The deals were independent of each other, so treating it as a swap isn't valid anyway.
    2 Comparing a winger with a striker doesn't make sense
    3 Townsend's play is far more than just goals.
    4 Gayle has scored far more than Townsend anyway, so this is fundamentally wrong.
    5 Gayle scored 7, 10 and 8 in the last 3 seasons, which averages at over 8, not 5. And has been their top scorer for the last 3 seasons, which is certainly impressive considering his injuries and lack of starts.

Not saying I don't have my doubts about Gayle, and I'm dissapointed Townsend left, but if the Palace fans are thinking he's a solution to their chronic lack of goals last season then they're wrong, they need a striker desperately.

12. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

I have less doubts over Gayle then I did over Townsend!

13. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Why are people concerned about people cost? It comes down to ability to produce on a regular basis for me. I couldn't give a **** if he is free or 300m. I'm just bothered about whether he is good enough. In that respect I'm not convinced but you have to give him a chance to **** up first.

The only time money would come into it for me is if we had a limited budget, and we've just 10m on him. I'm assuming that is not the case because I do not believe Benitez is daft enough not to buy a centre back and left back. I'm almost certain these areas will be addressed.

14. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

I think he's crap personally but then again I thought shelvey would do well, so hopefully I'm wrong again.

haslam likes this.
  15. Tasty Magpie

Tasty Magpie Well-Known Member

Indeed. Apparently he is targeting a centre back, a left back and a right back. Hopefully this is just the start of common sense transfer planning - it's been far too long.

Flash likes this.
  16. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Palace may have surplus fullbacks with the signing of Townsend.

17. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Under Pards there is no such thing as a surplus of fullbacks.

<doh>

18. Beardsley's Shimmy

Beardsley's Shimmy Well-Known Member

Rafa knows a player.

19. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Given how long he's been in management I'd be saddened to hear if he didn't know any players, I'd hope he knew the names of many of our team for starters.

20. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator