1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Dwight Gale

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

I have to say... I've always liked the look of this lad.
    Maybe we throw in a few of our players who Pardew may fancy...?

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/06/2...ling-to-spend-10m-on-crystal-palace-striker/?

Newcastle United are reportedly willing to spend £10m on Crystal Palace strikerDwight Gayle, according to the Daily Mail.

The Mail reports that Magpies boss Rafael Benitez has become frustrated with the club's inability to find value for money as they continue their preparations for their Championship campaign.

please log in to view this image

However, he feels that the 25-year-old would tick the boxes and thus, he is seemingly prepared to part with a large of his transfer budget to bring him to St James' Park.

The Mail adds that Gayle only signed a four-year deal with the Eagles in April - which may help explain just why the fee involved in a potential move could be so high - but having struggled to hold down a first-team spot at Selhurst Park, he may feel that dropping down a division to aid Newcastle's promotion bid may be the best way to become a regular in the Premier League.

please log in to view this image

2. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

3. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

No.

Have a look at his scoring record. Hardly inspiring.

Would prefer McCormack if we could get him.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  4. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I just don't think he guarantees the goals anymore than Mitro or Perez. So I can't really see the point. We need a natural goalscorer. I'd go down the leagues. Or look at promoted teams. Buy Will Griggs for the song alone.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  5. Blacker-than-Knight

Contrary to others I don't think he is that bad an option, given the opportunity can score, may be a decent bet in the Championship.

Seabass and Salomon #9 like this.
  6. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Of all the names mentioned so far, Mitrovic still seems like the best option to me. Not to say that we don't need to buy a striker to bulk the squad up a bit and Gayle wouldn't be a bad option. I looked at last season's top scorers in the Championship and League 1 a while back and, honestly, Armstrong seemed as good a bet as any of them. Ross McCormack I would be interested in but he would cost a kings ransom. To be honest, I look at the names mentioned and the prices and I do wonder whether keeping Cisse for the last year of his contract wouldn't be the best option.

7. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Gayle seems to be injured quite a lot.

8. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Not very inspired here, but as has been said, I'm struggling to work out what would inspire. The only name I personally come back to is the lad at Wednesday, Forestieri. Gets goals, could make the transition up a division, based in England .

anyobrien likes this.
  9. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Gayle > Riviere

10. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

Mitro is suspended for the first four games and its vital we get off to a good start. Unless he learns a few lessons, which up until now he seems incapable of doing, Mitro will be suspended again at some point within the season.
    Before anyone talks about his passion and heart on the sleeve stuff, l don't mind a forward showing a bit of fight, but it needs to be controlled. Opposition players are going to target him in the knowledge he has a short fuse.
    I for one don't want to be relying on Mitro alone. Cisse and Rivière need moving on, but who knows perhaps the Championship is Rivieres level.
    It would be money well spent to go get a guaranteed, proven goal scorer right from the get go. Not sure Gayle is it though.

Ellis Short Is likes this.

11. General Lee Speaking

But £10m for your 3rd/4th choice striker in the Championship?

I could see Rafa looking abroad but **** knows who he'd bring in. As large a club as we are and as odds on as we might be to get promoted, we are still a hard sell to anyone of any real quality being a second tier club.

Flash likes this.
  12. Warmir Pouchov

I'd honestly rather chance someone like Clough at Bolton who had a 1 in 3 record last season. Only 21. Kemar Roofe. Nicky Ajose at 23 and 24 could be developing belatedly like Cole did. I think we should be good enough to do a Burnley and pick up the next Andre Gray. I think Ajose is interesting because of his pedigree.

13. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Boloocks to to this like. £10m? Jesus wept! <doh>

14. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

?.

15. General Lee Speaking

Ajose is only 5' 6" which on paper would put me off for someone who we would be looking to be able to make an impact in the Premier League in the longer term. I wouldn't get him in at the expense of giving Armstrong a try.

16. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

I always think he looks pretty decent but 10m is way over the top

17. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Palace were low scorers last year, but Gayle chipped in with a fair few, could see him being a regular scorer in Championship.

Not worth even close to £10m, and McCormack would be the better option imo....but yeah I'd welcome him as a signing.

18. Warmir Pouchov

Really depends how we intend to play. I expect Armstrong to get a go and to be honest I don't see why he can't be close to dislodging Perez. It should come down to who is scoring and assisting the best out of the two. Ajose may be a little too similar I don't really know? Roofe certainly looked more of a last man type striker and I'd be happy with that. I don't really mind about size as long as they are strong. Aguero is only 5ft 8in but he can play with his back to goal, is strong and can link play.

We have a big man option and I don't think you need more than one. I think Roofe is capable of playing at Championship level and would represent a decent option price wise. Whether he can go on again is hard to say. I would rather chance that than 10m for Gayle who has struggled.

19. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Conner Wickham gets picked ahead of him……… he must be awful.

20. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Tony Cunningham > Riviere

Griffy likes this.