1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Does Jose Need a Plan B?

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by luvgonzo, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Mourhino has pulled off the greatest con job in top-flight footy, making out that he's some footy guru!

With the amount of money he's given to buy his way to glory, any numpty could run a football club, even those with nothing more than a scratch-the-surface knowledge of footy, such as Skiddy.

2. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Not sure about that, on less money (for porto), he's already surpassed all of the achievements ever in the history of Spurs and their managers.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  3. Yawn.

Stock "Yeah, well my cock's bigger than your cock!" response.

If Spurs had unlimited funds - like Real and Chelsea - don't you think that maybe we would have been a tad more successful?

The point I am making is a very simple one, Bobby... It's far easier to be a success with unlimited funds than it is with limited funds.

Or do you disagree with that statement?

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

This season reminds me of AVB 2013-14 at Spurs.

1. A large influx of new players.
    2. No obvious on-pitch playing style (playing as N individuals rather than as a team) .
    3. Slow and laborious attack against teams who pack MF behind the ball.

#2 is most telling.
    What are the attacking/MF/defensive hallmarks of a typical Jose team ??

5. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Not even a cock bigger than your cock.

It's a fact, Mourinho on less money than spurs which i gave an example with Porto has won more in europe than Spurs have ever done. That alone has rendered the buying his way to glory argument null.

With respect to your question there is a high correlation to money spent to success and so i agree having money helps you be successful, which mourinho has had abundance of since Porto.

I would argue that having money and winning trophies is better than doing it frugal and having no trophies though.

6. <laugh>

I'm glad you said that, because mine is supremely huge.

BobbyD likes this.
  7. I tend to agree.

What I love about Spurs is that we have been in between the two positions, although I suspect we are veering closer to the former.

We all like to flatter ourselves that our club beats the odds, and wins things because our players kiss the badge (and mean it), and our manager (despite being a closet genius) won't move on to a bigger club because he loves our club so much. It's nothing more than Roy Of The Rovers Syndrome, of course.

Lovearsenalcock and BobbyD like this.
  8. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

Plan E
    Get the ref to award late penalties etc.

9. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Porto is not, and never has been, a small, poor club. They haven't finished lower than 3rd since 1978, had won the title in 7 of the preceding 10 years prior to Mourinho's arrival, and 7 of 8 after he left. They have also won all the major European trophies without Mourinho.

He's fallen in to the trap of believing his own hype, now he's being found out.

10. BobbyD

BobbyD President

yeah all them european trophies they won, the uefa super cup in 1987 and european cup in 1986 and obviously they spent millions to win them trophies (~3m in 2002/2003 and ~7m in 2003/2004).

Next you'll be telling me that if Frank De Boer wins any european trophies with Ajax it's because their giants of the game and really it was easy peasy as it's in their DNA

11. The Ginger Marks

At least AVB has the better win rate than any spud manager over the last 20 years.

12. The Ginger Marks

1) Embarassing the country 2) Bending over and bottling it.
    We all agree Gimps. <ok>

13. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

No, just pointing out that Porto is not some small **** club with no history of success like you seem to be trying to make them seem so you can big up Mourinho, they had a pretty good record in the Champions league, making plenty of QF and SF appearances. it's not like they came from nowhere, and he nothing to do with buying the players who won it, they were bought by the previous manager, much like his successful teams at Chelsea and Inter.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  14. The Ginger Marks

Have to agree when Jose came here he was fresh had loads of ideas and pots of money although Ranieri had done a good job prior. What we've witnessed is a bitter, acrimonious man when things go tits up. Jose is a good cheque book manager but I can't say more than that. Now he is doing the same at United criticises players, slags off other teams for being defensive and slags off officials.

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Jose's never usually needed a Plan B because his Plan A of buying all the best talent has often worked out well. Now at a time where money in the Prem has reached crazy levels, it's becoming increasingly harder to soak up the best talent as other clubs are now able to afford (or keep hold of) top players. Managers are actually having to prove their worth these days instead of just relying on the big money signings always doing the business and making it easy for them.

As for the Porto stuff, they've often been a good side in the CL/ Europe to be fair, the season he won it - while a great achievement - was at a time where they had a fairly 'easy' route when considering what other winners have had to face in other seasons.

16. Exactly, DH.

Mourhino got lucky, and he has been clever enough to ride that luck hard.

Now, his luck is running out, and he has nothing else left.

17. The Ginger Marks

Buying what one perceives as the best talent does not always pan out. All managers strike a period where signings gel into the team but this becomes harder to manage when you have so many world class egos to feed. With that in mind Jose is far from the best.

18. The Ginger Marks

Based on?

19. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Porto in CL are like Everton in PL. Middling power with pretty much 0 chance of winning it. Just for your benefit here are the CL from the 10 years Mourinho took over, bearing in mind big money didn't begin rolling in until the last 90s.

1993–94 SF
    1994–95 Did not participate
    1995–96 GS
    1996–97 QF
    1997–98 GS
    1998–99 GS
    1999–00 QF
    2000–01 Qualifiers 3
    2001–02 GS
    2002–03 Did not participate
    2003–04 W

And those quarter final appearances were the rounds immediately after the group stages so akin to the modern era of the round of 16. Hardly getting close at all

As for inheriting those teams please, i suppose Bilic only made top half last season because of Big Sams team?

In his first season, Cech, Robben, Carvalho, Ferreira, Tiago, Drogba and Kezman were bought in. Cech and Robben deals done beforehand but thats still 4 main players Jose used in the team. He followed that up with the Del Horno and Essien as squad/key player so thats 2 squad players and 4 key players that were part of the championship winning teams.

As for Inter again, in the treble winning season, out of the 13 players to play 20 games or more, 6 of those were players bought by mourinho (muntari, sneijder, etoo, lucio, Milito, Motta)

20. The Ginger Marks

Tiago & Kezman were ordinary tbf