1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Development squad thread

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Bitter & Malicious, Aug 21, 2014.

1. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

When I first saw Harry Osborne play for the U18s at centre half I thought he would definitely progress to the first team. But as All Hell says he hasn't been the same since breaking his leg.A great pity but I can see him going the same way as Ade Azeez and Kevin Feely.

2. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Yes, very sad, just like Ben Davisson, a boy with a great future ruined by a stroke of bad luck.

3. dick plumb

I am going to see the U21s this afternoon against Birmingham. I will post up my own report of the game.

4. ForestHillBilly

So will I! I'm the little guy near the halfway line with the grey jeans and the fawn jacket.

5. dick plumb

Sorry mate I have just seen this, I would have said hello. Despite us having the numerical advantage we didn't play particularly well in the first half. I thought we livened up a bit in the second and Munns coming on as substitute made a difference to us. As well as scoring a good goal he also passed it well. We had a very experienced team out and not many would have enhanced their reputations under the watchful eye of Bob Peeters. The penalty Birmingham got was a bit soft. But the penalty shout that they had later to me was a penalty. The poor Birmingham player got sent off for simulation. We had a decent chance at the end when Sub Ansah blazed over the bar.

It finished Charlton 1 Birmingham 1

Charlton team

Pope
    Pyke, Morrison, Thomas, Fox
    Church,Muldoon, Gomez, Bulot
    Harriott,
    Ahearne-Grant

Subs used Holmes-Dennis,Munns, Ansah,
    Subs not used Obileye Phillips.

6. ForestHillBilly

1-1, a penalty for them and a smartly taken goal by Munns in the second half for us. We were much better in the second half, partly because they played almost all of it with 10 men, Shinnie being sent off after a second yellow for diving. I thought Munns also made a great difference when he came on, did himself a favour with his performance, especially since Bob took over control from Jason Euell, I think at half-time. A bit odd, this, I don't know what to read into it. Church played the full 90 minutes, and denied Ahearne-Grant a goal when he selfishly chose to shoot from an impossible angle instead of cutting the ball back for a tap-in goal. Morrison also had a run-out, handled everything pretty easily.Gomez played the first half in midfield, but after Muldoon went off he played in a position about 5 yards in front of Morrison, with Thomas moving to RB.:huh:Holmes-Dennis came on as a late sub, and scored a "goal", but the ref blew for time just as he shot, so 1-1 it was.

7. dick plumb

The linesman had his flag up for offside. I thought the same as you but I looked across to the assistant referee.

8. ForestHillBilly

What did you make of Bob taking control from Euell at HT, Dickp? Barking orders from the touchline, didn't seem quite right, after all Euell's the boss of the U-21's. I can't imagine that Nathan Jones would have stood for this, although I did used to criticise Powell for not watching the U-21's, I thought Bob took things a bit too far. Euell probably agreed to it but probably had no choice.

9. dick plumb

I agree it did seem rather odd. It is all very well being hands on but I think he would be better off having a watching brief while Euell coaches. I really can't see Jason Euell being here at the end of the Season.

10. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

Very consistent with the general strategy of getting rid of anyone associated with Powell, by humiliating them, playing them in the wrong position, or whatever it takes.

I have no great faith in Euell myself, but no doubt he will be replaced by some Continental creep before too long. And maybe the Continentals do have a better idea on how to develop youngsters.

Under Jones the u21s' best results usually came with an all-u21 side. Mixing in seniors often messed things up though management may have thought it was worthwhile.

For nearly a year now Munns has been the best player in the u21s, but maybe the least likely to have a professional career in the top tiers because of his small stature for a battling midfielder.

11. ForestHillBilly

Munns looked a much better player than Bulot on today's showing, but we know who will get in the first team first. And I'm a bit puzzled about how Gomez is being handled. He is a CB, yet after playing RB for the first team he then plays in midfield, and playing further forward than Muldoon at that. Then when Muldoon went off he was given the captain's armband, and played about 5 yards in front of Morrison, a position I've never seen anyone play before. I want to see him in his natural position, do you hear, Bob? I know that youngsters are sometimes told to play out of position as part of their education, but I feel Gomez is past that stage.

12. dick plumb

I think it is part of Gomez education to play in other positions. It worked well with Cousins who played right back centre half and midfield. I am pretty sure that Bob realises he is a centre half.

13. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

U18's won 4-1

U16's won 3-0

both against the blades

14. Scoham

Scoham Member

15. Scoham

Scoham Member

Charlton: Phillips, Osborne, Holmes-Dennis, Muldoon, Obileye, Thomas, Cumberbatch, Daniel, Ansah, Gerard, Browne.

Charlton subs: Pyke, Kennedy, Charles-Cook, kelly, Thomas.

2-0 up through Cumberbatch and Daniel

16. dick plumb

This has not been announced on the OS but Dr Kish is saying that the Addicks have signed former Sheffield Wednesday Under-18 captain, Ayo Obileye. Obileye has been on trial at the club for some while and is a central defender.

Hackney born, Obileye will be pleased to return to London and will be part of Jason Euell's Development Squad.

17. deleted.....

18. deleted.....

Seems we have signed former England U16 international Elan Assiana who was released recently by Citeh.... they only signed him from Fulham in the summer so I guess he was homesick.

6'1" Central Defender who may go straight into the U18 starting 11.

Good luck Elan

19. ForestHillBilly

Yussuf comes on as sub to score twice for the Daggers.

20. CarrianCarcuss

CarrianCarcuss Active Member

Thats a different Yussuf, Rashid Yussuf plays in non league.