1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Derby v QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Mar 31, 2017.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

Queens Park Rangers take on Derby County live on Sky Sports tonight at Pride Park for what is the first game back after the international break.

Rangers head into this fixture as one of the Championship's in form sides having won three of the last four games. In contrast Derby are going through a real lean spell winning just one of their last ten league games.

Earlier this month the Rams made the decision to relieve Steve McClaren of his duties at the club and appointed the highly rated Gary Rowett. The former Birmingham manager’s first game in charge was a draw against bitter rivals Nottingham Forest but he has now had two weeks to work with most of his squad.

When you look at the quality of players that Derby possess it would not be unfair to suggest that they have slightly underachieved this season. They began the year in 7th place just one point off the play-offs but their poor run of form has now seen them drop to 10th and significantly nine points adrift of the play-offs. Rowett is adamant that the midlands club can still achieve their target of making the top six but will realistically know they will probably have to win their remaining eight games to make this possible.

Derby will look back to their early season run for some inspiration. In the reverse fixture between the two sides a late Thomas Ince volley gave the Rams all three points in what was their seventh league win in a row. In truth the game at Loftus Road wasn’t a classic and Rangers arguably deserved a share of the spoils but it shows the talent that they have in their armoury if they can get firing.

QPR are currently enjoying their best spell of the season with the two week break coming at the worst time for Holloway’s side after recording their biggest victory of the campaign against Rotherham.

However Rangers have not won at Pride Park since 2009 and have struggled in games directly after the international break this term.

TEAM NEWS

QPR: Massimo Luongo is unlikely to be involved after arriving back from international duty with Australia this morning whilst Pawel Wszolek has been ill.

Derby County: Darren Bent is available following an illness whilst Bradley Johnson is available despite picking up an injury against Forest last time out. The Rams will be without George Thorne, Craig Forsyth, Nick Blackman and Jason Shackell, who all remain long-term absentees.

Possible Starting Xl's

CARSON

BAIRD - KEOGH - PEARCE - OLSSON

BRYSON - JOHNSON

INCE - RUSSELL - VYDRA

NUGENT

PRE MATCH TALK

Ian Holloway: “The boys have had a nice break. We gave them four days off to spend with their families and they’ve come back refreshed. The boys understand what I want from them. I’m craving consistency – and we’re showing that at the moment. We need to keep that ticking over now, because we’ve got a crazy period coming up."

Gary Rowett: “Sometimes it’s going to go great, sometimes it’s not going to go so well but I think that’s when we need us all to be together to maintain that positivity. Results are going to do that, energy and effort are going to do that - that’s the way we show the fans what we’re about. There’s a perception that this group of players don’t have enough hunger to be successful but that’s certainly not something I’ve seen in training in the past two weeks.”

MATCH ODDS

QPR win: 14/5
    Draw: 12/5
    Derby: Evens
    QPR first goal scorer: Matt Smith 7/1
    Derby first goal scorer: Darren Bent 9/2

LAST TIME OUT

QPR 0 - 1 Derby - Championship, Wednesday 14th December 2016
    Derby goal-scorer: Thomas Ince

HEAD TO HEAD
    (In all competitions)

QPR wins: 15
    Draws: 18
    Derby wins: 19

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Geoff Eltringham
    Assistant Referees: James Mainwaring and Billy Smallwood
    Fourth official: Christopher Kavanagh

Ian Holloway Pre-Match Interview ... http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/qpr-ian-holloway-derby-county-3649002.aspx

The Rams are unbeaten in their last three home league games against QPR (W2 D1) since losing 4-2 in October 2009.

The Hoops have failed to score in four of their last six league games against Derby, scoring exactly twice in the other two games.

Derby County have won only one of their last 10 league games (D4 L5) and drew 2-2 last time out vs Forest in Gary Rowett`s first game in charge.

Since returning to the club, Ian Holloway has won 41% of his Championship games with QPR, while previous boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink won just 28% of his matches.

QPR have won five of their last seven Championship matches (D1 L1), as many as they`d won in the previous 20.

QPR have won more points in the last seven games than any other Championship team (16).

Matej Vydra has scored two goals in his last three league games, the same total he`d bagged in his last 31 combined.

QPR's 5-1 win vs Rotherham was their biggest margin of victory in the league since a 4-0 victory against Swansea on Boxing Day 2010.

Last time out, Yeni N'Gbakoto became the first QPR player to have a hand in three goals in a league game since Charlie Austin vs Rotherham in August 2015.

Ian Holloway is unbeaten in his last three games away to Derby as a manager (W2 D1), keeping a clean sheet on each occasion.

rangercol, kiwiqpr, QPR Oslo and 3 others like this.
  2. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Great research <laugh> ...

NorwayRanger and finglasqpr like this.
  3. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Nines, great preview as always. I admit that I am looking forward to the watching the match (via KODI) and am quietly hoping for a good performance, and three points.

I like your team, but for personal reason, I would swap Mackie for Wszołek (assuming he is match fit) :)

QPR Oslo likes this.
  4. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Anyone ever get tired of watching this?

5. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I get the feeling that Wszolek will be rested as we've got 3 difficult fixtures this week. If Mackie doesn't start I think he might go with Ngbakoto.

6. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

How did this get picked for TV?

7. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Always look on the bright side..........

QPR boss sends out big warning to Derby County, Aston Villa and Brighton coming up
    QPR boss targets eight wins out of eight to end the season on a high, starting at Derby County tonight

Ian Holloway's QPR won't afraid of Derby County tonight and wants to win away from home (Photo: Lewis Darling)

Ian Holloway has sent out a warning to the Championship that his Queens Park Rangers side mean business and will be going all out in their remaining games.

The Hoops have won five of their last seven games and are certainly one of the form sides in the league.

Ian Holloway reveals his QPR masterplan is coming together as he makes transfer plans for next season
    Next up for Holloway's men are games with Derby County, Brighton and Hove Albion and Aston Villa, but that hasn't put Holloway off - he wants maximum points from them all.

Tonight, the Hoops return from the international break with a trip to Derby.
    "I was disappointed with the week before (at Leeds) because I thought we should have won, and that's what I want to breed here," said Holloway, who spoke after crushing Rotherham 5-1, two weeks go.

QPR star ruled out of trip to Derby County but will return for Aston Villa

"I don't just go to Leeds expecting a point is good, I wanted to win.
    "So hopefully we can keep going now. We have eight games left, I want to win all eight of them. Can we? I don't see why not but we're going to have to earn that right.
    "It's a good run at the moment, I have to say. The boys are really, really working hard.
    "The choices I've got are fantastic and I actually enjoy watching us play, providing we get it in behind their midfield and we hurt their back four.
    "But right now it's a good feeling. It's much better than losing six in a row, isn't it?"

What Ian Holloway wants from his QPR side for the rest of the season

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-boss-sends-out-big-12825023

8. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

I'm liking Holloway's approach to games, let sides worry about us instead of the other way around.

A few weeks ago playing against a side that has only won 1 in 10 I'd have said we were a soft touch and get rolled over, but now we appear to be mentally stronger and look to play on the front foot so any side will have to play well to beat us.....

Up the R's

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Uber_Hoop, NorwayRanger and QPR999 like this.
  9. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

Form says a win for the Mighty Sooperhoops.

10. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

Matt Smith went 17 matches without a goal for Queens Park Rangers?

I don't think so & doubt that we've played 17 matches since his arrival!

QPR Oslo, Tramore Ranger and QPR999 like this.

11. sheffordqpr

Just by way of a change. I couldn't resist it!!

12. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

:emoticon-0159-musicThat Richard Keogh, he's one of our own........:emoticon-0159-music<laugh>

rangercol, QPR999 and Wherever like this.
  13. sheffordqpr

Possibly my favourite moment as an Rs fan!!

14. igor60

igor60 Well-Known Member

Always start the weekend with this! Bless you BZ!

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  15. igor60

igor60 Well-Known Member

The match is on live here in Finland too. Its a long time i have had a positive thoughts about the QPR-match which
    is live on here. Prob live on anywhere that matter

16. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Quite tempting to sack off the rest of the day and go up there but then I'd have to put clothes on.

17. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

Still gives me goosebumps.

18. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to seeing the Hoops on the telly!
    Come on you Super Hoopsa!!!!!

19. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Win 4-0 and we're up to tenth

20. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member