1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Derby v City

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by RedorDead, Feb 11, 2017.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

THINGS IN 3'S!

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Sums it up below,Radio Derby suggested our problem is a inexperienced manager.

Agree 100%

IMG_2056.PNG

3. ibodyslamrhinos

ibodyslamrhinos Active Member

I've accepted he's here, I don't agree with it but accepted for some bewildering reason he's the chosen one.

As for today, I'm happy with 1 point. No point dwelling on yet another capitulation, does me no good anymore.

4. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

After today and a point. The run of games are A,H,A,A,H,H. 3 home and 3 away and a more positive way of looking at things.
    From here we have 8 at home and 8 away. Need 18 points to get to the magical 50 which is 6 wins out of 16. Just over 1 point a game. Doesn't sound a big ask put that way.
    Big games v Burton, Wigan and Blackburn.

5. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

Way I see it, we have a manager who is learning, and a squad who are trying to gel.
    Presuming we will stay up, which I think we will, the lessons learned this season will stand us in good stead for next term when we will hopefully be fighting it out at the other end.
    At least that is what i am trying to think, but a voice in my head says our manager is not street wise enough to protect a three goal lead.
    Fact is he should have taken one of the strikers of at half time and put on another holding midfield player. Thats not me being wise after the event either. I was thinking it at half time.
    He needs to educate this squad on the science of playing nasty.
    Or sign Joey Barton and he will do it

6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

RR

I've said before, what did LJ do wrong TODAY?

Nobody has answered- they just regurgitate old stuff about LJ not being right for the job - which I actually agree with, but WtF did he get wrong today?

The silence says it all.

7. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Sorry GDKNAC that was supposed to be a reply to a RR post.

gdknac likes this.
  8. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I think we lack a leader on the pitch, a really good captain that at 3 or 2 up can steady the ship, get nasty if he needs to keep other players in check. Not sure we have that in the squad......I believe with that sort of player we would be a decent side..

9. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Are you being serious?

Well if Derby with their history, fan base and stadium are only an average Championship club, then what are we?

FFS - some people are nothing but merchants of doom & gloom!!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  10. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Isn't that exactly why Gary O'Neill was brought in ?
    The been there, seen it, done it all mature pro ?

11. ibodyslamrhinos

ibodyslamrhinos Active Member

You didn't read the rest of my posts on yesterday's result then? How is suggesting Derby aren't a big club doom and gloom?

A decent history doesn't make a club big in the modern game. When is the last time Derby did anything to make them stand out as a big club? Is it just attendance and history that makes a club big to you?

If that's the case are Portsmouth a big club that you would be happy with 1 point against after being 3 up at present? Coventry played top flight football for over 30 years in a row, are they a big club? JeeeeeeZUS! <doh>

As I said many times yesterday on here, happy with a point at the start of the game. But I'm not the only one disappointed we let slip a 3 goal lead in less than 45 minutes, including your hero wonder boy LJ you are happy to knowingly walk over a cliff edge smiling and clapping with.

My point of my post you have quote a few words of, is that Derby are a team given our current squad we have should been looking to beat this year. They should be no bigger than us in stature in the modern game.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  12. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

It was good for a time ... Third different shape in three games. Higher lines (one defensive midfield player), higher tempo (one defensive midfield player) , less touches (one defensive midfield player), being more creative in possession (one defensive midfield player), creating overloads/underlaps/overlaps, and being able to play into more options up front playing in triangles = Two players and yes players beyond the ball due to only that one defensive midfield player.

In possession City played with freedom, Bryan and Cotterill bombing forward, Brownhill in support meaning City attacked with five sometimes six Little/Goldbourne instead of being obsessed with keeping shape like they were against the worst team in the division at home.

Second half wheels fell off. City dropped off. Derby players switched sides, overloaded the flanks ... No two million pound full backs on the bench to replace full backs who were fckd. In possession City still were the better team, out of it you now they will concede.

An old story. Exciting point snatched from the jaws of victory. Improvements in tactics with the ball due to team formation a cat could see for months ...

13. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

You might say that with all clubs in the championship with possibly the exception of Newcastle & Aston Villa......the point to this, is there's no point...as clubs like Bournemouth & Watford are in the "small club category" sitting in the Prem where as the likes of Leeds (massive compared to us, history & fanbase) have been in the lower leagues for years..
    Clubs like Derby & say Norwich that have yo yoed with the prem have had millions into the club through parachute payments, where as the likes of us have had nothing (apart from SL's backing). So really they should be classified as bigger in the modern game..

Supcon72 likes this.
  14. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

you can only say he did something wrong if you have an alternative ... to be honest I think he did something wrong at 3-1 but honestly do not think the option was there or obvious ( I have looked at what was available and all mt alternatives were less than leaving the 11 on for 90 mins!) we needed to close it down or put on more pressure we did neither. probably 1 game where at 60 mins he should have done something ..... he did at 74 and we lost a goal in 2 mins ?
    I didn't hear or see the game so not qualified to make cutting edge comments ... but 3 times we have conceded 3 goals and the net gain is 1 point from 9

those missing 8 points would put is in 12th!

15. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

The bench was lop sided. Lots of attacking options. Too many.

The team are not versed in what they do out of possession. City concede goals because of this. This is the first time this season City have played that shape. City are playing different formations to the game sometimes to the half. City do not know what and who they are. When the Managers tinkering and confusion ceases the collapses will too.

16. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Sorry mate not hiding been out today,the first thing he did was take both strikers off.
    Yes those two that were having a blinder.
    Attack from the front.
    Too much pressure then the capitulation,then the goals went in.

17. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Bringing Milan on looked the right call both strikers had run themselves into the ground and Milan would help hold the ball up and use his height advantage. I reckon a majority of managers would have made the same call

18. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Not RR he would of kept them on till they couldn't run any more and blamed LJ