1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread DERBY DAY SPECIAL - Norwich City v Ipswich Town

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Feb 23, 2017.

?

PREDICT THE RESULT

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Canaries Win

73.9%
  2. Blues Win

8.7%
  3. Stalemate

17.4%
  1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 34

Norwich City 1 - 1 Ipswich Town
    FT
    HT 0 - 0
    Ja Murphy 69'.........................................................................................................Knudsen 63'

Attendance: 27,107

Referee: Oliver Langford
    Assistant Referees: Neil Davies & Matt Foley
    Fourth Official: Simon Hooper

Date: Sunday 26th February 2017
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 12:00PM

KIO's not606 Match Preview

Sunday sees Norwich City welcome Ipswich Town to Carrow Road in what will be the 111th competitive meeting between the two East Anglian rivals. City go into this game on the back of an abject performance at the Pirelli Stadium last Saturday where they lost 2-1 to Nigel Clough’s struggling Burton Albion side. It was particularly disappointing for Canaries fans as prior to this result City’s form had picked up of late and Norwich took to the field unbeaten in their last six games with a real chance of making a challenge for the end of season play-offs.
    As it stands City sit 8th in the Championship table 7 points adrift of Leeds United and Sheffield Wednesday who occupy 5th and 6th spots and 1 point behind Fulham in 7th, the latter having played a game less.

Cameron Jerome was on target for City last time out for City as they went down 2-1 to the Brewers

The Canaries haven’t lost to Ipswich since 2009 and they will be hoping to keep that record intact with neither Alex Neil nor any of his players ever suffering derby day defeat. The Blues and their fans are no doubt still smarting from their play-off defeat in the last meeting between the two and will be all out for revenge and restoration of bragging rights for the first time in eight years.

Norwich-City-v-Ipswich-Town.jpg
    Wes Hoolahan puts City in front from the Spot in the Play-Off Semi-Final 2nd Leg in 2015

Perennial Championship side Ipswich Town arrive north of the border struggling for form with only one win in their last 8 competitive games, including an FA Cup 3rd Round exit at the hands of non-league Lincoln City. In their last league outing at Portman Road the Blues played out a 1-1 draw against Leeds United, Freddie Sears giving them an early 9th minute lead before Stuart Dallas equalised for the visitors just before the break with their first effort on target.

Freddie Sears celebrates putting Town ahead against Leeds

In team team news Ivo Pinto and Steven Naismith could return for the Canaries having made good progress in training this week, both having recovered from their respective injuries. Sunday’s game is likely to come to soon for City midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu though who is still struggling with a thigh injury, while Nelson Oliveira (foot) and Graham Dorrans (knee) are definitely out along with long term absentees Matt Jarvis and Louis Thompson.

For Town David McGoldrick is now fully fit and available for selection, Steven Taylor (hamstring), Adam Webster (ankle), Dominic Samuel (broken toe) and Giles Coke (knee) all miss out, while top scorer Tom Lawrence serves the second of a two match suspension.

Alex Neil’s Match Preview

Alex Neil previews Sunday's derby

"It's going to be vitally important. The fans will want to continue with the bragging rights, we don't take that lightly. We want to make sure that we go and perform well, hopefully the fans can get in full voice and we can win the match.”

"It's one of the fixtures the lads look for right away because they know everybody will be up for it, we've got a good record in it and we want to maintain that, and because of the league situation as well we need to maintain that."

Commenting on Mick McCarthy's prefered 3-5-2 system:

"We've beaten every back three or five that have come to Carrow Road, we're well equipped to do that, we know how to break that down, but equally it starts from winning your own battles.”

"You need to win headers and dominate the ball, and then you can do the rest from there."

"You're excited about the game because derby day is one that, if you don't get excited, then what's the point in being involved in football?”

"Equally, there's certainly more onus on you to win this game because of how much it means to the supporters, and certainly with the league position it becomes doubly important."

Mick McCarthy’s Match Preview

Mick McCarthy gives his thoughts

“It’s a great game to look forward to, we need to play as well as we have done so far this month. If we do that, then we will compete with them [Norwich]. If we don’t reach that level, it will be a tough afternoon.”

“We go there with confidence though and I’ll certainly settle for another 90 minutes of the way we have been playing lately.”

“We’ve a few bumps and bruises and tired limbs from the games we’ve just come through, Chambo [Luke Chambers] was ill earlier in the week, but was in today. Toums [Toumani Diagouraga], he’s poorly and he’s gone home today and we’ll have to see how he is, there’s been a bit of a bug going around. All the other little bumps and bruises and tired limbs, I’ll think they’ll all be OK”

“Freddie Sears hasn’t trained, he’s had a bit of a groin from probably coming back not having been playing and the shift he put in last week. But I’m hopeful and pretty certain they’ll all be OK.”

McCarthy on his midfield selection dilemma:

“They’ve all played well, Skusey’s [Cole Skuse] been ever-present since walking through the door. Emyr Huws, along with Toums, has been outstanding, and one of the standout performers recently has been Wardy [Grant Ward] having gone and played in the centre. It’s a tough one.”

McCarthy says he’s yet to pick his team:

“Even if I had made the decisions I wouldn’t tell anybody as yet because you do that and you find out one of them injured and you’ve disappointed the other one who has got to come back.”
    “The lads are off tomorrow and I’ll sort that out on Saturday. I give myself plenty of time to think about it.”

Current Form (Last 6 Competitive Fixtures – Most Recent First)

Norwich City

LDWDWW

NORWICH HOME

Norwich have won 65%, drawn 10% and lost 25% of their last 20 home games.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned in the bottom half of the table, Norwich have won 17, drawn 1 and lost 2 of these matches.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned below them in the table, Norwich have won 15, drawn 2 and lost 3 of these matches.

Ipswich Town

DDWDLD

IPSWICH AWAY

Ipswich have won 25%, drawn 35% and lost 40% of their last 20 away games.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Ipswich have won 3, drawn 7 and lost 10 of these matches.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned above them in the table, Ipswich have won 3, drawn 7 and lost 10 of these matches.

MATCH STATISTICS www.kickoff.co.uk

Match History

Overall the two rivals have met 143 times, Ipswich having the slight upper hand with 60 wins to Norwich's 56. The first derby held between the two clubs was on 15 November 1902, when both sides were still playing at amateur level. The Norfolk & Suffolk League fixture was played in Norwich and finished 1-0 to 'The Citizens'. City were the first of the two to turn professional in 1905, Ipswich following in 1936. Ipswich were elected to the Football League in 1938 and the first league game between the two clubs was on 2 September 1939 in League Division Three (South). The game was played at Portman Road with the match finishing 1-1, although the league was abandoned that year due to the outbreak of the Second World War.

Other than the Championship play-off semi-final ties between City and Town in May 2015, two of the more notable meetings between the two clubs have come in cup competitions. In the 1972-73 season Ipswich beat Norwich 4-2 on aggregate to win the two legged Texaco Cup final, with 2-1 wins in both games. In 1985 the clubs met in the semi-final of the League Cup, Ipswich won the first leg 1-0 at Portman Road but Norwich scored early in the return leg at Carrow Road to level the tie. With extra-time looming Steve Bruce scored a late winner to send Norwich to Wembley.

The East Anglian derby has been contested 110 times in competitive games, 56 of which have been played at Ipswich and 54 at Norwich. The clubs have also played each other in friendlies and testimonials. The highest attendance in the derby at Portman Road is 35,077 in a First Division (Top Tier) match on 23rd September 1975 which Town won 2-0. This was eclipsed on 27th January 1962 when Carrow Road hosted 39,890 spectators in an FA Cup 4th Round tie*, the game finished 1-1 with City winning the replay at Portman Road 2-1.

*Click below to view footage courtesy of the East Anglian Film Archive

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/144195

John Wark is Ipswich's leading goalscorer in the derby with nine goals, while Hugh Curran remains Norwich's top scorer with five, a record that has stood since 1968.

John Wark the leading scorer in the derby for Town with nine goals

Town have put 5 goals past City on no fewer than four occasions the most recent being on 21st February 1998 in League Division One (2nd Tier) at Portman Road which resulted in a 5-0 win for the Blues.

Norwich had to wait until 21st April 2011 on their way to promotion from the Championship to the Premier League before they managed this feat against their arch rivals. Having already beaten Town by 4 goals to 1 at Carrow Road earlier in the season, they cruised to a 5-1 victory at Portman Road that day to record a 9-2 season aggregate.

Town's nemesis Grant Holt cannot hide his delight during City's 5-1 win at Portman Road

The highest aggregate score in a single match was on 3rd February 1968 at Carrow Road in League Division Two (2nd Tier) which ended in a 4-3 win for the visitors.

Highest Norwich City Score

Ipswich Town 1 Norwich City 5

Highest Ipswich Town Score

Ipswich Town 5 Norwich City 0

Highest Aggregate (7)

Norwich City 3 Ipswich Town 4

Club Connections

Clive Baker, Keith Bertschin, John Deehan, Louie Donowa, Alan Lee, Kevin Lisbie, Andy Marshall, Johnny Miller, Trevor Putney and Clive Woods are among those to have turned out for both the Blues and the Canaries.

Joe Royle City’s player of the season in 1981 also managed Town.

Did you know?

Ryan Bennett, City's £3.2M signing from Peterborough was a youth player at Town

Former Ipswich and England star Kevin Beattie did scouting work for City when Mike Walker was Canaries manager.

Ian Crook was involved in a "controversial" signing for Town from City in June 1996 he never actually played for Ipswich before re-joining City.

Ian Crook the signing that never was for Town

The late Justin Fashanu had unsuccessful trials with Ipswich when he tried to resurrect his career in 1990.

Danny Haynes, scorer of a controversial 'handball' derby goal trialled with City before joining Town in the of spring 1994.

Wes Hoolahan was one that slipped through the net at Portman Road having had an unsuccessful trial for the Blues as a teenager.

…………….. and finally

According to the Football Rivalries Report 2008, the East Anglian derby is the second fiercest rivalry in England after the Black Country derby between West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Former referee Keith Hackett, said of the East Anglian derby:

“As for the most aggressive atmosphere that I’ve ever encountered, believe it or not it was at Carrow Road for Norwich v Ipswich Town. There are certain derby fixtures that you always know are going to be highly charged, but the East Anglian derby tops the lot. The players came out of the tunnel as if they were ready for a boxing match. The noise was intense and aggressive."

Rob Hadgraft, who wrote ‘The Old Farm’, suggested some reasons for the intensity of the rivalry:

"I think it's because each club represents the entire county ... There's only one club in Norfolk, and the same goes for Suffolk ... The people live up to 40 miles apart, so they don't mingle and have pals who support the other lot ... you've got two sets of fans who never really mingle or mix, and there's no proper friendships. They really do despise each other."

POSSIBLE TEAM LINE UPS:
    squad.jpg

Match to be broadcast ‘Live’

Listen to full match commentary on BBC Radio Norfolk

95.1 / 104.4FM, 855kHz AM & DAB Digital Radio

With Chris Goreham

and Guest Match Summariser Iwan Roberts

Don’t forget to tune in to ‘Canary Call’ post match with Iwan and Rob Butler

OT
    C

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Thread up nice and early for this one Guys as I'm sure we'll have plenty to debate with our 'friends' from across the border :biggrin:

As I will be attending this match I have posted 'possible' team line ups and no doubt I'll be way off with my predictions :emoticon-0105-wink:

OTBC

3. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Simply excellent work KIO <ok>

KIO likes this.
  4. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Thanks Warky, I've predicted a City win in the Poll at the top of the OP but to be honest I'm not overly confident
    as you boys are well overdue a win :emoticon-0107-sweat

JM Fan likes this.
  5. johnnywarksmoustache

I will gladly settle for a draw right now mate! <ok> It would be a minor miracle if we manage to win with the **** negative tactics McCarthy uses most of the time! It will be edgy and far from a classic that's for sure. I agree that we owe you boys one but I just cant see it happening on Sunday! I'm going for a battling 2-2 draw.

6. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Very thorough job KIO.Let's hope it's a good game with plenty of passion.May the best team win(as long as they're in blue and white:emoticon-0102-bigsm)

ncgandy, johnnywarksmoustache and KIO like this.
  7. theyellowfever

theyellowfever Active Member

Great MDT KIO :emoticon-0148-yes: cant wait for the game now, lets hope saturdays results go our way to.

KIO likes this.
  8. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Holty guesting on 'The Scrimmage' this evening on BBC Radio Norfolk at 6:00PM fresh from scoring for Hibernian last night,
    I'll post a link on here for ex Pats later

9. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

10. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Wonderful work Rich, you really do work hard on these, I think for input you outclass CanariesSoccer, and that takes some doing! <cheers>

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Good post Bigal and let's hope for a cracking game.
    Great work as usual KIO!! <ok>

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  12. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Bring back Grant Holt. He frightened them to death.

13. johnnywarksmoustache

Look on the Brightside boys! If Town win on Sunday it may well hasten the departure of AN!

Surely that would be something to cheer about! <ok> <laugh>

ilovedelia likes this.
  14. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Warky I'm going corporate Sunday taking a customer who is a lifelong Binman, I can assure you there will be no bright side to a defeat for City !

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  15. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Great Match thread yet again, KIO. <cheers>

It should be a cracking match and I've gone for a Canaries 2-1 win. It's great to have Pinto and Naismith back as well.

16. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Happy 22nd birthday Jacob and Josh. Do the business tomorrow!

17. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

Excellent thread KIO...OTBC

KIO likes this.
  18. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Aarrrgh - Blue and White balloons????? <laugh>

canary-dave likes this.
  19. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Blue and silver to be fair, but I had the same thought JMF!

JM Fan likes this.
  20. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Probably a bad taste party

JM Fan and RiverEndRick like this.