1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Derby County v Cardiff City

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Masky, Feb 13, 2017.

1. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

Oh! Sod it! I've worked out that if we win all our final 14 games, we will have 84 points. I guess that will not be enough for automatics this year? But it should be play-off time and with that run of victories we'd be a shoe-in. what are the odds Sparkey?
    And by the way, I presume your pay-out on that bet (Swans down, Leeds up) must have dropped like a stone? Maybe we ought to have a separate thread for that alone?

2. Jay-Rede

Jay-Rede Well-Known Member

We've beat 2 of our fellow play off hopefuls <laugh>, I'm joking before anyone jumps down my throat.

3. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The cash out was over £22 at one time sausageman, but it's dropped to £3.61 right now. <doh>

Never mind, Leeds beat the Wurzels last night and the Swans are away to Chelsea on the weekend - let's see where it is then.

4. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

I listened to the whole game and the commentators seemed to mention vital turnovers of possession in our favour from Halford time and time again.

I know we conceded 3 (talk about focusing on the negatives <laugh>) but Derby are absolute class attacking wise. Ince, Bent, Nuggent, Russell, Anya, Hughes, Blackman, they have an embarrassment of riches. They haven't lost at home since September.

I'm not saying Halford is the answer to all our problems (not that we have that many current problems), but based on results alone he seems to have improved what we're doing.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Derby have got some class attacking players but if we concede three then we can't be a "class defensive side"

I just hope Halford can't play against Rotherham as part of his transfer.

Whitts in for him would be my choice for that game - the rest the same.

6. Stevoldinho

Just watched the highlights. Maybe Halford was a little bit at fault, he stopped but as the ball diverted but I'm not sure it's his fault.

2nd goal was a mishit shot, Bent reacted first. That's what he's always been about. 3rd was a foul on Morrison by Bent that the ref ignored. Ince was a constant threat and first 30 mins it sounded like we were going to get absolutely battered. My wife was demanding we turned it off and watched the tv <laugh>

I'm not sure Warnock will change the side, I'm not sure I want him to either.

Jay-Rede likes this.
  7. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

I gave up the radio at 0-2 and "watched" it on my phone (BBC live text) but every time it noted we scored, I switched from PSG game to SS news to see the goal but the live text was too late.

However I changed to Bet365 which is totally live when it said "Cardiff penalty." So I switched channels but pressed the one for Radio Wales by error just as Rob Philips was going mental that we had scored, and then switched to SSN to see Ralls roll into the net.

Amazing result & full credit to the players, management & hardy travelling fans<applause>

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Halford totally at fault for their first goal letting his man de Sart get in behind him when McGregor palmed the header across the goal. He should have muscled him out not waved him past.

Their second was a case of standing off and ball watching whilst Bamba went walkabout chasing Hughes. Equal blame to Bamba for that bad decision.

It's just my opinion about a player and not detracting from a great win especially coming from that disastrous 2 goal givaway in the first 20 minutes.

Like I said, I hope Halford can't play against his former club on Saturday and Whitts takes his place.

9. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Not a loan so a clean transfer. He is eligible. I would prefer Whitts for this one too. Time we took the game to the opposition at home.

I see Ajayi and Adeyemi both scored for Rotherham last night. Went 2 - 1 up and still lost 3 -2 to your favourite team in the last minute Sparks. I guess both will be ineligible for Saturday as our loaners. Adeyemi has scored 6 in 20 for Rotherham. Not bad as a midfielder in a struggling side. Second highest scorer after Danny Ward who has scored more than any of ours. Adeyemi must have something about him which we just haven't seen. They loved him at Birmingham and thought we stole him off them at £1m. Could he succeed with us if Colin got him under his wing?

10. Stevoldinho

It'd get boring on here without opinions <ok>

Hindsight says Halford shouldn't have stopped, you can say he should track his man all the way and he should have. But (and you see it time and time again) when the ball deflects or rebounds, people stop. In that second the ball might come 3 yards further out to a perfectly placed ,stopped, Halford or it skims across the goal to the attacker that 'anticipates' the play.

If he loses him like it off the first ball it's 100% his fault and very poor.

Are you blaming Halford for the 2nd goal?

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Yes - always liked the lad and was never given a chance by Slade.

True box to box player with a good engine. Maybe not the most skillfull but I'd rather have him than Halford.........<laugh>

12. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

To his credit Halford got the flick on Gunner's long throw leading to Harris' 2nd.

Connelly at fault for their 2nd. He left Bent too much room goalside.

Why is Morrison so good in the opposition penalty area but gets out jumped by Bent in his own box? He also got out jumped by Kodja at Villa for a goal.

Was that Noone's first goal since Wolves away over a year ago?

13. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Sorry Stevo - hadn't noticed your last post about Halford's involvement in their 2nd goal until now.

Whilst I still put that first goal down to Halford's weak marking of his man letting him past like that, their second goal was poor collectively. Bamba chased Hughes out instead of staying where he should have been. Halford as the spare man should have shuffled across to cover instead of staying out on the left with Richards. The middle of our defence had a huge hole in it.

Maybe a bit hard on the guy to pick on him but he's a part of a defensive system at the end of the day that didn't shut them down - that's why I said Bamba was equally to blame.

Like you say, it's great to have so many varied opionons on here. <ok>

14. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

Obviously another fine collective performance.

I think we were just slow to get into the game.

3rd goal for me was the most disappointing. Morrison should have done better but Connolly should have done far more to stop that ball coming in.

Didnt matter in the end and a great result only possible from a collective team display.

As for Saturday Im happy with whatever line up Warnock puts out.

Stevoldinho and BluefromBridgend like this.