1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Democracy affirmed.

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Jan 24, 2017.

1. moreinjuredthanowen

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  2. moreinjuredthanowen

The court also rejected, unanimously, arguments that the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly and Northern Ireland Assembly should get to vote on Article 50 before it is triggered.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  3. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Which is the bigger win for the govt. Labour will have enough yes votes to add to the Tories to pass the legislation through the commons. Can't see the Lords blocking it.

It's why it was silly of the govt to go to court at all. It was always going through if they'd originally put it before parliament.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  4. moreinjuredthanowen

yup. its really just a snow job. and one of the nobodies who brought the case said it was about the process not the result.

We all know this will be a rubber stmap but it puts any pm firmly in their place.

5. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

It was a matter of such importance that the government had no choice than to go to the highest court of the land and get their final ruling, knowing full well that they will likely lose. Now there is absolutely no doubt.

On the question of devolved administrations and governments, yes there is no LEGAL requirement. There is however a signed and approved convention and a POLITICAL understanding that there will be consultation with them.

6. moreinjuredthanowen

they all have seats in westminister and westminister has primacy.

if nothing else it proves these regions have more going for them than the north of england.

westminister decides. but the welsh and scots and ni get to decide how their money is spent on things.

7. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

Of course. Scotland has more autonomy over their people than the regions of England. They have total control over their affairs except in income tax and defence. They decide their own health services etc. It is a union and it makes sense to consult with their Parliament. They will no doubt ratify their opposition to Brexit although that wouldn't derail May in any way.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

They all get a vote....

Didnt they realise this when they confirmed their subserviance to westminister by referendum?

9. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Just for the record: I'm against Brexit and would love nothing more than for it to not happen.

With that out the way, I think this is antidemocratic:
    The people voted for Brexit, now they're being told their referendum means nothing and Parliament gets to override the will of the people if it so decides.

10. moreinjuredthanowen

for the record me too. I do not agree with that they are being told that the ancient laws and unwritten constitution is being upheld. There is nothing binding about that referendum as no constitution says it is now law.

This decision says parliament must vote by law. this goes back into the dim and distent past.

since the EEC came about the UK voted to enter by referendum and NEVER AGAIN voted on any treaty signed with the EU. the conversion of the EEC to the EC to the EU was never voted for or against by the people of the uk,

the rules of the UK are the rules of the UK, just as the rules of the US are the rules of the US and different.

The government were riding rough shod over the 48% of people who did vote and voted against. 72% of population who could vote did. we could say that added up the majority didn't care or didn't want it and the rest did. nothings perfect so the result of the majority who did vote yes must be respected but now parliament must do so not a bunch of hawkish tories off on a solo run.

11. FedLadSonOfAnfield

Majority of MPs are in favour of Brexit anyway so this makes no difference at all, maybe it will add a couple of days to the process overall whilst they draft and finalise legislation and hold a token vote, but that's it.

12. moreinjuredthanowen

yeah. i think they've written it all already

The house of lords is funny. the landed gentry depend on farm payment from the eu so its like turkeys voting for christmas... its not really but i find those who are funny. The bishops and such won't care of course

13. FedLadSonOfAnfield

Why do any of the Lords give a **** at this point, they've had their lives, made their money, got their assets, will be dead in like 20 years or senile and invulnerable to any of the blowback from this and how it will affect the country and would have a negative affect on them.

And yeh I'm sure the government had two sets of legislation drafted before today, one for if the vote went their way, one for if it didn't.

Article 50 will be triggered by the end of Feb I'm sure. So pretty much on schedule with what May wants and what most of the MEPs in the Euro Parliament want. Dragging it out just causes more economic and administrative hassle and uncertainty for everyone and politicians like to be able to speak in certainties at least, even if the world we live in is the very opposite of that.

I just hope that the idea Verhofstadt has been putting forward about associate membership of the EU for Brits who still want freedom of movement and freedom to work in the EU transpires. You can just say **** it to the UK then and let the idiots get on with returning to the dark ages, it's the prospect on restrictions to those things and being stuck here, unable to move around without incredible difficulty that really bothers me the most. On a personal level that's what will affect Remainers most. The trade and business side of things, yeah you'll see that reflected in general commerce in some ways but it's less tangible and a more abstract acceptable thing than infringements on your movement and ideals.

14. moreinjuredthanowen

probably not really but they are all different. the bishops only care baout their bag and the peers only care about protecting their own wealth. It is a rather dead and pointless house. and yeah other than passing the country pile and 1000 acres down to their little princes and princesses they won't care

I knew a professor in uni who said his friend used to get over 1 million pounds form the ec in payments just or having land so.... well that prof wore a cravat so he must have known a toff or two <laugh>

I agree 99% of the eu want this done before the next round of thier own elections for that euro parliment. and they want to get on with hammering the uk into the dirt.

15. LuisDiazgamechanger

I wonder why Theresa May has been scared of taking the whole thing to Parliament. Scared of losing?.
    She should call a general election which labour are not likely to win.

16. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

When I was living/working in Ireland a well to do landowner/farmer used to have a pint in the pub I drank in, he told telling me he gets paid over a million euros a year for growing rape seed on some of his land, he said that because there is an excess in the amount of rape seed grown within the EU it has to be destroyed after its harvested, and then he plants next years crop ready for destroying.

Your mate from uni was like that farmer, getting money for nothing, I'm not knocking it, I'm just jealous.<grr>

<laugh>

17. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Now Trump is president people will get paid for rape over here too.

Actually, I understand the reasons behind farm subsidies, it's important a country be self sufficient for times of war. Especially as an island, you don't want easy floating targets full of food being blown up before it reaches your shores. Also helps preserve green spaces.

I think there needs to be some intelligence though. Wheat, vegetables, etc... These feed the people not rape seed oil.

18. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Except a lot of the EU subsidies force farmers to clear land to pretend it's in use despite it not being economic to grow or pasture on. All it does is remove natural water barriers that slows run off. Result? Rivers overflowing and floods on the lower plains...usually towns and housing lol.

It's also why all this rich land owners are all into grouse...they get paid to "maintain" the land I. E..burn old heather etc...then charge a fortune for shooting....hilarious since in cities they'd be fined for producing that much co2.

But hey, nothing beats the Renewable Heating Initiative over here. Farmers businesses etc paid more to run heating than it cost for the fuel to heat. People literally running heaters day and night 24/7 with barn doors wide open and raking in up to a million quid...you couldn't make it up!

19. RogerisontheHunt

RogerisontheHunt Well-Known Member

BT and Easyjet shares dropped with falling revenues (partly to do with dodge **** with BT) due to fears over Brexit and the falling pound, Banks threatening to move out of London. This Brexit thing is really making the British economy better.

The MPs should look at the **** in the short space of time since the referendum and see that its weakening the UK.
    Think the general population were also sold a pack of lies and bollocks, most people only voted for it cause they dislike Polish and Romanians.
    Look the EU isn't perfect and the Germans have too much influence, but you can't change things on the outside and Nationalistic boarders are holding back future progression (Nationalism should have died in WW2)

20. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

Its nearly as bad as getting paid £1.60 for every pound you spend on heating a barn 24 hours a day 7 days a week.<whistle>