1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Davis Cup

Discussion in 'Tennis' started by The Raging Oxter, Feb 3, 2014.

1. The Raging Oxter

The Raging Oxter Well-Known Member

Great to see GB defeat the US at the Davis Cup and end a 70+ year hoodoo but it does raise the question: where have all the quality US-male tennis players gone? I don't think there's one US player in the top 50. That's pretty shocking for a country that's produced the likes of McEnroe, Sampras, Connors, Ashe etc.

Even the women are in short supply if you don't count Serena.

What's gone wrong with American tennis?

2. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes the yanks have been bemoaning their situation for a while now. When you think back to their heyday in the 70's, both their male and female players were world leaders. I heard McEnroe comment on his concerns during Wimbledon - I think it was the year before last. I wonder what the reason for this is. I know many players used to train in Florida as it was the place where potential greats went to train, they certainly have the year-round weather for it. Anyways, it's about time roles were reversed and the Brits started doing good. We need more top British players too though. Murray isn't going to be around forever...and in any case he may not be British for much longer. I might have to find someone else to cheer on ;)

3. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

John Isner is ranked 13th in the world but has struggled with injuries over the last few months, he can be a dangerous player on his day with the big serve but after him you're struggling to name any potential stars in American tennis. Sam Querrey and Donald Young, the guys that represented America in the Davis cup are both plodders at best, Querrey did reach the top 20 in the rankings a few years ago but his best days are behind him, none of these guys will take America forward. They have young guys coming through like Jack Sock and Ryan Harrison but even the biggest of tennis enthusiasts in America don't see these guys going to the top of the game. Since Andy Roddick retired America have struggled to have that one big name who can carry their hopes and be a realistic contender at Grand Slams and there's no great hopes on the horizon either. American tennis is in decline and i can't see it changing anytime soon.