1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

David Moyes

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cytrax, Aug 22, 2016.

1. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I was surprised couple of weeks ago when David Moyes suggested that he was unfairly treated by United. His comment was actually infuriating given how terrible he was as a manager and as an ambassador of the club.

THEN today, I read this on bbc:
    Sunderland boss David Moyes told the club's fans to prepare for another relegation battle this season after Sunday's 2-1 defeat by Middlesbrough.

The Black Cats have lost their first two games under Moyes, who replaced new England boss Sam Allardyce this summer.

"That's where they've been every other year for the last four years, so why would it suddenly change?"

Moyes added: "I don't think you can hide the facts. People will be flat because they are hoping that something is going to dramatically change - it can't dramatically change, it can't."

I still cannot believe that we made grave mistake of choosing Moyes as our manager. Moyes has a distinct mentality of an average joe that never dares to dream and always has an excuse for failure. Would Leicester have won the league last year with Moyes? Odds of that would be 50,000 - 1.

2. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not at all surprising imo - I can't think of many, if any, managers who have been fired by a club after less than a year and turned around and said "yeah, that was the right decision, completely fair" no matter how badly they have performed. He clearly wasn't suited for the job, but probably still doesn't recognise that himself. Maybe after a few more years of reflection he will work it out.

That said, his comments about Sunderland are less surprising - pretty much every manager they have had emphasises that they are in a relegation fight, usually before the season even starts. It's the only way to keep the players and fans focused on survival as a goal, rather than targeting mid table and being dissatisfied with anything else.

Even when Martin O'Neill was getting them decent finishes he kept focusing on avoiding relegation as the main goal, and ultimately he was sacked for getting expectations too high - half a season of fighting relegation and the fans were calling for his head after finishing 13th the previous season. It wasn't the right approach for Utd, but keeping expectations low at Sunderland seems to be the key to being in a job more than ten months right now.

3. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Looking back that's correct.

United's manager has to have huge confidence and belief in his own ability AND has to have a track record of success with a big club. Moyes was too average and has had no real success. Giggs never stood a chance of taking over even though he spent three years shadowing people.

cytrax likes this.
  4. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I think he has very poor mentality as you mentioned. He has a poor me mentality. Some of his comments when he was with us were actually very damaging. The problem with that approach is it becomes self-fulfilling. I would think that the fans want a manager that comes with hope of making things better. To hire an ex-United manager that then talks the same absolute low expectation as all your previous managers gives the fans nothing to hold on to. I wonder how much he is getting paid which says a lot about him as a coach. Definitely not progressive.

There are also other ways to suggest that you're fighting for survival - "40 points is our main target", rather than "we are going to be fighting relegation battles". It's like wtf. You've just signed five new players with three of them from Manchester United.

Recommending Moyes was Fergie's biggest cock-up to date.

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Not having a go at you Cytrax but who the hell wants a thread about Moyes on here. He's done and gone.

6. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

LOL. He led us to here, Treble. I can't get over it.

7. Matth_2014

Matth_2014 Well-Known Member

I've been watching videos on him on youtube, how on earth was he our manager, i'm just glad he's not our manager anymore, I was fed up with his constant negativity, he barely signed anyone neither ( Marouane Fellaini and Juan Mata aside ), he also didn't sell any of our players neither, it was stale under him.

cytrax likes this.
  8. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's true Matth, but he did have us in the title race as well.

Or so I read somewhere...

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

You couldn't get me to watch videos of him on Youtube if you paid me!! Why? WTF are you thinking Matth! <confused>

10. Matth_2014

I thought we'd go on and challenge for the league after the Arsenal game, That went well.

11. Matth_2014

To appreciate that we have a world-class manager in charge.

12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

If you have to look at other (failed) managers to appreciate that then Jose is doing something wrong.

Treble likes this.
  13. Matth_2014

I'm not, I'm just grateful that we have him as our manager.

14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I had serious doubts before we got him and will not change that opinion until at least January, maybe even May.

15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

That's like saying I'm going to eat a bucket of **** to really appreciate a three course meal at the Ritz afterwards.

Why not just watch United play football and base your appreciation of Mourinho on that? Simples.

16. Matth_2014

I do actually.

17. bulletinthehead

bulletinthehead Active Member

You said that about LVG

18. Matth_2014

This feels different though, Our morale was low when LVG was our manager last season, there was nothing to be positive about.

19. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Different to van Gaal first season or second season?

I'd lay money you were one of many (led by UIR) who tripped out "at least van Gaal has a plan compared to Moyes".

Turns out that plan was to turn United and all its players (bar Rooney, who did it by himself of course) to ****.

This does feel different, yeah. The bloke we now have in charge is not a complete fraud.

20. Matth_2014

I wasn't, I gave LVG enough time but my patience ran out with him.