1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dave Jones

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by rossij8, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Lan Logger

Lan Logger Well-Known Member

exeter arn't really setting the world alight are they.

2. ibodyslamrhinos

ibodyslamrhinos Active Member

For what he has achieved with the players at his disposal I would disagree, in comparison to DJ and BD on the budgets they were working on, he looks like Mourinho!

3. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

One thing for sure is that unless we get 3 or 4 points from the next 2 home games, SL will wield the axe. Failure to win at least one of those games, which are both winnable, should leave no doubt that we're beyond Millen's capabilities.

Regarding who the next man should be, it's not easy. Most on here are touting an experineced head whilst others want fresh, young hungry blood. The former is the safer bet but more expensive, the latter cheaper but riskier. I look with great envy on what Poyett has done with Brighton. One can only inagine the energy at that club now with a new stadium, hot team and a manager that appears to be nothing short of amazing. Just think - he went to a struggling team with no ground & small crowds and has turned the team into a serious contender. I wish them well and hope that we can emulate this as it's pretty doom & gloom right now.

4. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Speaking to my boss today who is a Cardiff fan, he told me exactly what old sparky has said, Dave Jones was on a high amount but he was not at fault with the finances at Cardiff, it was down to the Hamman era. But what he also said that Dave Jones got players in cheap and made good money on them.
    Also for the past few years got them to the playoff's twice 55 mins from winning it 2 years ago, plus a FA cup final and missing out on playoff's by goals scored 3 years ago. Not a bad record when you think about it.
    I know who ever comes in is not going to get success this season (could do but it is very unlikely) but at least we will have someone who can change things at the end of this season at drive the club forward. Which unfortunetely I can't see Keith doing, which is a shame as when he was appointed I wanted him too. All I can see now is players that look like they are lost and don't know what to do.

5. ibodyslamrhinos

I was referring to the players he had been signings salary, not his actual personal salary... It was signing premier league quality players on high wages that almost destroyed the club. So to say him throwing money at players wasn't his fault is "in itself ridiculous"... He makes the signings, he decides who he wants, and he failed to get them in the prem, buck stops with him.

6. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Take your point about the players wage structure - I thought you meant Dave's personal terms. However, this is the Bristol City board and don't want to get bogged down into a discussion about Cardiff matters - the thread was about Dave Jones as a possible candidate for your club.

Suffice to say that Dave Jones was not responsible for setting the Cardiff' City's funding budget nor its' overall player acquisition policies - those were strictly board decisions.

Dave Jones ultimately failed to achieve our ambition and you're correct, that must rest with him, but it was not his "wage structure" at all. The club was on its' arse financially through the borrowing policies of Hamman and subsequently the profligacy of the Ridsdale tenancy.

Getting back to the subject of DJ and BCFC, I think he would do a very good job for you right now.

7. Caldicot Cider Red

Caldicot Cider Red Well-Known Member

If there was a choice of currently available managers to step in,it would be Dave Jones for me. Like my mate Redordead,we both work with a lot of Cardiff fans and they are all of the same opinion. The guy can work off a practicaly non existant budget and yet still get quality into the side...god knows he had us in his pocket enough times!
    Milly HAS to get 6 points from our next two home games.....for his sake if nothing else. I don't think the board are sitting back and saying "give him another dozen games and then we will see....."
    I like the guy tbh,but he has not proved to be strong enough to me yet. I saw glimpses last year and we did finish safely enough,but it ain't happened yet this term. I think the clock is ticking.............

8. CityAce

CityAce Member

You clearly havent got a clue and are making this up as you go along. DJ signed premiership players on high salaries...true, what you forgot to mention (because as I pointed out you dont have a clue) is that these signings were heavily subsidised by their parent clubs. DJ spent years with us buying players at a low price and devloping our younger academy players and selling them a big profits.

You said him signing premiership players that almost destroyed the club....WRONG, WRONG & WRONG again, it was Sam Hammann and him holding the club to ransom which almost destroyed the club, if it wasnt for DJ and the profits we made of his signings then we would have gone under. So you could say the exact opposite of what you stated is true, DJ was actually a big part in saving our club along with an unlikely hero in Peter Ridsdale.

Finally, do you honestly think that DJ decides on the players salaries, no he doesnt thats up to the money men at the club, so that puts an end to your argument that he threw money at players. An example being Joe Ledley walked as we wouldnt meet his wage demands.

Dave Jones would be a great manager for Bristol City, end of.

9. ibodyslamrhinos

Take it steady mate, its an opinion! Neither of us work high up for either club so nothing your saying is fact just as the things I am saying arent fact, they are our opinions and what we say is from how we see it!

You sound like a typical internet troll who seems to think he is right and anyone who disagrees with him is wrong, so I will just agree, so you will shhh.

As for saying Dave Jones would be a great manager for us "end of" thats an opinion, and one I won't lambast you for by saying "you don't have a clue", just because I disagree with your opinion, because its a football forum! (Even though theres nothing concrete about football, so to say "end of" at the end of an opinion just looks daft and like a child who says "I WIN I WIN" when he hasn't).

We are not professionals and no one is right, if you were a professional who was always write, you wouldn't be writing on 606 boards. You will never get that though, as to me, by the way you write, you show you never will ever understand that. It also annoys men when people like you show your completely unable to disagree with someones opinion without becoming personal and trying to cut someone in half (badly I might add), just so you can make your OPINION sound more factual when its not. I'll repeat, your a fan like the rest of us!

10. CityAce

CityAce Member

'So to say him throwing money at players wasn't his fault is "in itself ridiculous'

So is this not an example of being abusing when people disagree with you.

Have a look at your comments on this thread, they dont come across as opinions you plum, such as 'It was signing premier league quality players on high wages that almost destroyed the club'.....sounds like a statement rather than an opinion, yet I wouldnt expect you to know the difference.

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Quite correct Ace - it was nothing to do with expressing an opinion. The original post by the guy was purporting to state facts regarding the tenure of Dave Jones. The one fact that is abundantly clear is that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Rhinoslammer - your opinion is as valid as anyone elses. No-one is asking you to agree with them, just be man enough to accept that you were wrong about the facts.

12. Natchrawldry

Natchrawldry Active Member

This rumour isn't going away. Could have some legs this one...

13. CityAce

CityAce Member

For your sake you want this rumour to be true, most Cardiff fans I think hold DJ in high regard. Also after 7 years at Cardiff he is settled in the area which is only an hour away from Brizzle, mind you I wouldnt be happy about paying the toll charge every day.

14. Natchrawldry

Natchrawldry Active Member

I'm never happy paying to get into Wales! <grr>

Seriously though I'd be happy if DJ came here, we need a relatively high profile Manager who's able to command respect and he fits the bill. The only reservation I have is the drinking culture that seemed to make your season stutter at a vital point in your season. I know the players were ultimately to blame, but I can't remember how DJ responded?

15. CityAce

CityAce Member

He never got the chance, DJ got fired and the three players to my knowledge dont play for the club anymore (Chopra, Bothroyd & J Lloyd Samuel)

16. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Previous to that, Robbie Fowler was "too big" to upset, and Darcy Blake was too insignificant (like Adam Mathews for another reason) to get away with it.

Blobby Fowlup left of his own accord after screwing a season's wages out of the club for **** all, but poor old Darcy got his marching orders and was sent to Plymouth on loan as retribution. He admits he is/was a bit of a pisshead but seems to have turned the corner.

As for Adam Mathews - anyone in DJ's position can take out a bad performance on a 17 year old and subsequently refuse to play him, but to do it so publically was a huge mistake in man-management. The result was he turned his back on the club and went to Celtic on a free - certainly a black mark for DJ in many supporters eyes.

17. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

The poster didnt say Jones wage almost crippled the club - he said his wage structure.

The wages Jones was allowed to pay the players to come to Cardiff did play a part in almost crippling us. Not Jones fault - mainly the Riddlers.

However Jones was given backing and failed.

He had Arron Ramsey the most gifted player weve had for a generation and barely used him.

Poor tactitian , players had poor discipline , poor selections.

If Bristol City have a choice of Billy Davies or Jones they should go for Davies.

I hope Dave Jones goes to Bristol City though.

18. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Hilts - I realise why you want DJ to go to Bristol City, but I reckon you'll be dissappointed in your wish - I think he'll keep them up.

19. rossij8

rossij8 Member

Mark Hughes is another name I have heard today

20. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

<laugh> mark hughes, to big for this club mate