1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Danny Murphy denies rift with new Fulham boss Martin Jol

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Not606 News Team, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

Fulham captain Danny Murphy has rejected suggestions that he had a falling out with his new manager Martin Jol.

Murphy was a Jol signing when he brought the player to Tottenham from Charlton in 2006.

But there were rumours of a bust-up between the pair as Murphy started just seven league games in 18 months before quitting for Fulham.

Now working under Jol again, Murphy insists their was never a problem between the pair.

He said: “Me and Martin never fell out. Far from it.

“There were a lot of different factors that I didn’t talk about. My dad had a terminal illness during my only full season at Tottenham and it wasn’t something I started talking about in the papers because I didn’t think it was relevant at the time.

“When I did get a chance there was good quality about me and I only played eight or 10 games on my best run. We had our disagreements at the time as I wanted to play and he was playing other people, but there was more to it than that.

“But there are mitigating circumstances sometimes, which people don’t see and some of it might have been my fault and some of it might have been his. Of course I wish it had gone better but if it had gone better then I wouldn’t have had the fantastic four years I’ve had here at Fulham.

“He knows my quality, he knows the way I work and I have never foreseen a problem with me and him and I don’t in the future.”

2. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Yawn.

Biggest non-story thus far. Jol is not an idiot, he'll see how important Murphy is to us - Murphy didn't fit in at Spurs for many reasons beyond Jol (not least Spurs obsession with being bigger than they are).

3. Penguin

Penguin Member

I agree.

There's a fuller version of this on the FFC website in which Danny goes on to say even more positive things about Martin.

The bottom line is that even if they didn't get on particularly well they are both mature professional types who know the value of working with others and wouldn't let any personal differences stand in the way of team success.

4. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

Agreed. It's a non story. Tottenham had a bunch of good middle midfielders at the time all scratching for playing time.

5. RobespierreFFC

Agree with all the above comments, sounds to me like it descended from some rather lazy journalism.