1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daniel Levy: League transfer spending unsustainable

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by luvgonzo, Jul 26, 2017.

1. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Not really. You are boring me with your pedantics.

I always do...

2. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I thought you were going for a swim?

3. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I see it like this:

1. Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal have had much more consistent success than Spurs so have much higher income and can spend much more than Spurs
    2. Man City and Chelsea have much richer owners so can spend much more than Spurs
    3. Spurs started well behind most the above when the PL and CL started due to very poor management in the 1990s
    4. We therefore had a lot of catching up to do and needed a long-term plan
    5. This couldn't involve spending more money as we didn't have it to spend and had no chance of outspending our rivals
    6. So it had to be based on a different strategy, namely developing young players and the club's facilities.
    7. It's working: we were mid-table when Levy took over; he first got us back to performing about where we should be on resources, we had a hiatus when Ramos was the manager which needed a short-term fix and now we are closing in on the top
    8. Why would we change this now by bringing in 'marquee' signings which could undermine the team spirit in the squad and will still result in us signing worse players than our five main competitors as they have more money than us
    9. I concede that we have not won a trophy, but I think that is mostly a side effect of the strategy being to cement ourselves in the top 4 so that we can retain the best players we develop. If we had won the FA Cup last year and finished fifth it would have been much harder to hang on the Dier, Alli and Kane
    10. I don't think we have been forced to sell a player since Bale and don't expect to lose another one while we continue to be in the CL. Walker doesn't count because he clearly fell out with Pochettino towards the end of last season and we have a consistent record of moving on players who do that. In those circumstances if City want to pay us £50m for the weakest player in our first team when we have a back-up who is nearly as good and a great young prospect why would we refuse.

4. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Do you not think it's a little un-ambitious having received 50m from tv money, + another 50m from Walker + gotten new sponsorship deals and literally being a couple of players away from the holy grail of the PL, you haven't bought a single player, not even as cover?

So as well as losing your first choice RB and potentially Lamela and throwing the CL in the first round (may happen again) you want to use the same team + a few extra youth players to "challenge" for the league.

You could at least buy some cover

5. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Some good points here, although it wasn't that long ago that some on here were saying that Walker and Rose were the 2 best full backs in the world. Now he is your weakest player?

The Ginger Marks and BobbyD like this.
  6. PowerSpurs

We may well buy some cover but the point is that our squad is so young, it automatically gets better every year.

7. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Like Arsenals? :p.

What i see is you are a few injuries away from a disaster. I can see that defensively you guys are sound as i think Pochs system is brilliant.

You have no one near the abilities of Kane, Alli, Eriksen should one of them get injured. Likewise you are relying on a reserve player who hasn't even started a PL game (well he might have) to be your 2nd choice RB

8. PowerSpurs

If we line up 3 4 3 like this
    Lloris
    Alderweireld, Dier, Vertonghen
    Walker, Wanyama, Dembele, Rose
    Eriksen, Kane, Alli

Then yes, Walker is the player who if missing would weaken us least.

9. PowerSpurs

The other PL clubs only have at most one player as good as those in the starting eleven. We've got Son and Lamela too.

10. Blueman

IMO Dier would be your weakest player in that formation. Don't rate him as a central defender quite honestly.

11. The Ginger Marks

We? Are you sucking Levy's cock or something? He mugged you off kept the money gave the manager some untried 20 year old nonce.
    Enjoy your mediocrity. <ok>

12. PowerSpurs

Certainly arguable but most independent sources have Dier worth more than Walker and equally importantly we have good back up for Walker. I think that is indirectly why we had to sell him. Pochettino wants players who fight for their place in the team and Walker acted like a prima donna when Trippier was picked ahead of him for the cup semi-final.

13. Blueman

That's fair enough to me. <ok>

14. The Ginger Marks

Predictably sour grapes from the Spuds. <ok>

15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Conte would have the same constraints in 95% of the worlds clubs especially if the said club had a £700 million project to fund instead of the wigged wonder's ego. Poch is trying to build something...for once the chairman is giving the gaffer his full backing...and Conte does not like it..therefore trying to up the ante..however no one related to Spurs is biting...so in reality he is not a wigged wonder, he's a wigged ****er.

If Poch is at a standstill in his 18th year at Spurs, then we can have this conversation about being happy with stagnating..however there is nothing stagnating at Spurs...we all know what the aim is.

lol...spend some money, on anything, lets please the new age fans.

NSIS likes this.
  16. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Oh, you know exactly what Levy did with the money, of course.

Talking out of your arse, as per!...

Enjoy your 'whiskey' sounds like you are already!

17. The Ginger Marks

The whisky of defeat , go roll around with some expats on a club floor mate it'll make you feel alive.

18. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Stick to your whiskey and ladyboys, pal.

19. BobbyD

BobbyD President

So whats the aim for this year then? Top 4? and the year after that? top 4 again?

20. Blueman

Just like you know why Roman spent money on the Russian people. You don't.