1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Curtis Davies

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by onceatiger, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

So he didn't play as many games because he was lazy? What are you talking about? He's a total professional and usually on form most of the time. He's a damn sight better than any of your ****e, lazy centre backs.

2. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We had problems with him in training. He couldn't maintain enough fitness to play twice a week.

That's not to suggest he's not had a rethink.

But it's certainly why Villa dumped him.

3. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

It was three months and he played 12 of 18 games.

He was Sven's number one target to sign for the reminder of that season, until Birmingham came in and hijacked the deal, so there was obviously no attitude problem. You're talking bollocks.

4. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Which one of us knows what happens at Leicester City and which of us has just done a quick Google search?

He wasn't a great trainer and his fitness was the reason we didn't want to stump up the money that Birmingham did.

We'd paid 5m for Matt Mills in the following summer so we weren't exactly shy of spending.

5. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

<laugh> Which one of us knows the most about Curtis Davies' attitude, the one who saw him on loan for ten weeks seven years ago, or the one who's watched him play 141 games over the past 3 1/2 years?

6. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<laugh> This conversation is about his time at Leicester. You'd know that if you read the posts above.

I've said that his attitude may no longer be a problem. It's why I asked the question in the first place.

7. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

That is the last thing he is, is lazy. Since he has been with us, like all players he has had ups and downs, but for the most part has been very consistent performer and rarely let's you down.

8. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Consummate professional is our Curtis.

9. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

I don't believe there was an issue with his attitude at Leicester either, that's rather my point (and Leicester's manager obviously agreed with me, as he was desperate to keep him).

10. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Believe it all you like.

Sven's character judgement is hardly much to go off. His sides haven't ever been built around hard working professionals.

11. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

Wasn't Diego Simeone the lynchpin of his title winning Lazio side...?

12. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Davies poor attitude and pushing for more money was a major contributor to our relegation. FACT

13. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

I was in Leicester when Curtis was there and the mutterings were that he had a spat with a member of staff. The times I watched him at Leicester he didn't look at all lazy on the pitch, but he was nowhere near the player he is now when he was there.

I went for a few beers with Bruno Berner (who was an absolute hero) and Matt Oakley, there were some good lads there in that 11-12 season. And also some **** ones, like John Paintsil. And Gelson Fernandes. And Michael Johnson. <laugh>

14. BrAdY

BrAdY Well-Known Member

that johnson was good at man city, he's now retired and weighs about 20 stone
    think he got a bad injury and it just messed him up

15. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Matt Oakley got so much stick for being ex-Derby. He was a model pro and got us out of the worst period we've ever been in.

Bruno is a club legend. Everyone here still loves him. I remember thinking we'd signed a gem when we got Paintsil. He did a lap of honour whenever we won, the novelty of which soon wore off.

Gelson Fernandes is such a Sven player. Great on his day, but can't be arsed on the whole and thought a bit too much of himself.

The less said of Johnson the better. Never seen a player piss his dream up the wall as much as he did.

16. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

17. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

He suffered very badly from mental health problems.

18. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

I rate Curtis very highly as a player and as a great team captain. As I said earlier in this thread, I think he may have been carrying an injury.

Clubs don't tell anyone when a player is carrying an injury. James Harper for instance played with pain due to there being a plate in his foot, but everyone just thought he was ****.

Bernard Mendy went off the boil, people thought he couldn't he couldn't be arsed, but he had a fracture in his foot.

Curtis is an excellent defender and is fully committed to the cause, but I think he'd been feeling some pain for a while.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    PLT likes this.
  19. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

I think it was just before xmas when he was one of just 13 players in the Premier League who had played every minute of every game. In addition, unlike the other 12 he'd played cup games, every preseason friendly etc. Not sure how his commitment can be questioned. Unfortunately that will lead to tiredness and more prone to injury. We never get to hear about those who play through injuries, but he came back from his hamstring injury only for it to go again. In fact he was declared unfit for Fulham game, initially didn't travel, but had to play and had a reoccurrence.
    Same happened to Dawson recently too, not sure about Silva injury management so far. Brucy would have been slaughtered.

20. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

That's way better than I said it <ok>