1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Crystal Palace v Sunderland - Saturday 4th February KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Feb 3, 2017.

?

Your Prediction

Poll closed Feb 5, 2017.
  1. Home win

22.0%
  2. Away win

48.8%
  3. Draw

29.3%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Saturday 4th February 15:00, Sunderland face Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park
    palacesunderland.gif
    Last time out Sunderland drew 0-0 at home to Tottenham and Crystal Palace won 2-0 away at Bournemouth.
    Sunderland head to Selhurst Park on Saturday hoping to extend their two game winning run away to the Eagles. Sunderland are five points from safety and the game against Crystal Palace couldn't be any bigger.
    Sunderland are up against their former boss Sam Allardyce and left-back Patrick van Aanholt. Defeat doesn't bare thinking about given the increasing gap to safety, with Swansea City on a good winning run, while Hull City have showed they are still fighting.
    Sunderland should be buoyed by the hard-fought point against Spurs on Tuesday night with Ndong and Kone making a real difference against Spurs and they will be key players for the rest of the season. New signings Joleon Lescott, Bryan Oviedo and Darron Gibson give David Moyes more options and added competition for places, which can only be a good thing.
    Sunderland can't afford to lose this one.

David Moyes:
    “Every point is important for us” “We will go there and try and win the game”
    “I wanted players who have played in the premier league”
    "Darron (Gibson) and Bryan (Oviedo) will be in and around the squad”
    “We have had our share of injuries and I hope there is nothing new”
    “I want the players to be involved in the community”
    “Sunderland have fantastic support away from home, they really do”
    Free agents: “If there is something out there we will look at it, but I think our business is done”

Sam Allardyce:
    "I just need the players to handle the pressure, because it is massive pressure on us.
    "We will be - particularly from our fans - expected to win. We had that sort of expectation against Swansea just a few weeks ago. There were different circumstances why we lost that game then, but it is the same pressure we have to deal with and produce a performance.
    "For the players it's making sure they focus like they did on Tuesday night, with the level of performance they gave.
    "Hopefully that'd be enough to win. I would hate to see the type of performance we gave against Swansea."

Head2Head.GIF

After winning three successive home PL matches against Sunderland, Crystal Palace have lost their last two versus them at Selhurst Park.
    Crystal Palace have won a league-low seven points at home this season (W2 D1 L8).
    Jermain Defoe has scored four goals in his last five Premier League matches against Crystal Palace, with three coming in four appearances for Sunderland.
    Jack Rodwell is still yet to win a Premier League game he has started for Sunderland (D17 L20).
    Sam Allardyce has won just one of his last five games against clubs he’s previously managed in the Premier League (W1 D1 L3).

Lawro's Prediction: 2:1
    Merson's Prediction: 2:0

Referee: Andre Marriner
    Assistants: S Ledger, S Massey-Ellis
    Fourth official: J Linington

Team Lineups:
    Sunderland

Team.gif
    Subs from Mika, Lescott, Pienaar, Love, Honeyman, Januzaj, Gooch, Gibson
    Injured Pickford (knee, Feb), Gooch (ankle, Feb), Cattermole (hip), Kirchhoff (knee, both Apr), Watmore (knee, Oct), McNair (knee, Aug)
    Suspended Djilobodji (3 games)
    Form LLDLLD
    Leading scorer Defoe 12

Crystal Palace (5-4-1)
    Hennessey,Ward, Tompkins, Dann, Delaney, van Aarnholt; Zaha, Cabaye, McArthur, Puncheon; Benteke
    Subs from Speroni, flamini, Remy, Townsend, Ledley, Fryers.
    Injured Sako, Schlupp, (Ham string), Wickham (ACL), Mandanda (Knee)
    Suspended None
    Form LLLLLW
    Leading scorer Benteke 11

Key Men:
    Jermain Defoe
    please log in to view this image

Defoe has scored 60% of Sunderland’s goals this season and is the Black Cat's main goal scoring threat.

Christian Benteke

Benteke is always a threat with his physical presence and his great heading ability. He does like playing against Sunderland having scored 7 goals against them in the Premier League.

Betting:

Palace 4/6
    Sunderland 17/4
    Draw 11/4

My two pence...

Palace have been on a long losing streak but Sam finally got his first win and an important clean sheet. We need to pull out a performance similar the one against Spurs on Tuesday keep it tight at the back and press them high up the pitch. I am going for a 1-1 draw

Ha’way the lads <cheers>

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. J๏E..

J๏E.. The King of Hearts

I can see us winning this game..

Gobs have been opened and belly's will be fired and I also think a couple of Moyes old boys will turn up for him..<ok>

3. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

We`ve seen PVA`s defensive frailties at first hand for a while and plenty would argue he`s cost us more than few points. Hopefully we can exploit that.

Having said that it depends on what Sam does with him. He did up his game and may indeed play him further forward. If he does that he may be a bit of a nuisance. Might be worth backing him to score. We usually do that. <doh>

Fancy we might get a draw but would rather we didn`t play for one. Soaking up pressure is not something we deal with well. It gets scary.

Top thread RTB <ok>

RTB likes this.
  4. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

They are not at their best defensively and we could take something from their confusion of playing Sam's game rather their own instinctive one of self proclaimed flair. I would settle for Manquillo again though as he did nothing wrong on Tues night. Jones against PvA could be interesting unless DM thinks Janazaij could keep him busier that he likes to be.

5. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

6. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

I think that this game is going to be the one that breaks ‘The Rodwell Curse’. 0-1 Defoe

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  7. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Just got to watch the big guy up front...not let him dominate us like Lukaku, Giroud etc have done. Going 2 - 1 to the lads....Borini and Defoe

J๏E.. and RTB like this.
  8. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

I think Moyes might play Januzaj, I remember in the Stoke game that PVA gave Januzaj a hell of an ear bashing after he didn't play the one-two through to him. It could be a good tactic to get Adnan fired up and skin him a few times.

9. grandpops

There should be a bit of confidence in both teams. Might be a decent game this if it doesn`t turn into a Marrinerfest. That blokes capable of some almighty wreckage. I don`t mean just us but I`d rather the post match conversations weren`t all about him, They often are.

Billy Death and RTB like this.
  10. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Is this a ''must'' win game ?
    Yes. Because if we don't, and Chelsea (as they most likely will ) win, then we'll be too many points behind to win this years title.

11. grandpops

I can honestly say I never thought of that.

12. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Should be a close game, there's a bit of extra interest in this one because of Allardyce and PVA.

I'm buggered if I know what I think the result will be. A draw maybe.

13. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

14. safc-noggieland

safc-noggieland Well-Known Member

I've gone for the draw - but we are capable of a win. Really hard to put money on any result to be honest.
    I am hoping for a repeat of Sams early days last season - he took quite a time finding his eventual team and then he had January to strengthen the weaknesses found.

He has had less time to analyse his side this time around and I hope he is still trying to find his 'team' so if we apply ourselves like we did mid-week and with better finishing then at least a draw.

KTF

RTB likes this.
  15. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Hated voting a home win but BSA hasnt won a home game and its little ol Sunland rolling into town. Our mentality will be that we will win cos they arent a big team. Swansea, Burnley, Hull, Boro and a few more have beaten us because of our sh*te complacency and concentration levels.

Sincerely hope I'm wrong and Rodders is finally on a winning team. And hopefully PVA hurts himself, quite innoculously of course, and is out for 3 months. Oh how i will laugh.

16. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

Good thread - I think we might sneak it and get the elephant off Rodwell's back. Unfortunately we need to hope Palace are below par and have no heart for a relegation battle - my winning vote is cast <applause>

Sunderlad and RTB like this.
  17. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Now that would be amusing <cheers>

18. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

We smashed them 3-0, mate

Sunderlad and Gil T Azell like this.
  19. crumble bungle

crumble bungle Well-Known Member

For me on paper Palace are a much stronger team, especially up front.
    It's a very hard one to call and all depends on what teams turn up on the day.
    Need whoever is facing PVA to have a blinder and am sure Moyes will have tactics to play against him in this game.
    Hoping for the win as usual but expecting a draw.

20. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

I just slipped that one in to see who reads my posts.:emoticon-0111-blush<whistle><whistle><whistle><whistle><whistle>

Makemstine Roger and Deleted like this.