1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cotts Turns Down Brum

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Angelicnumber16, May 17, 2017.

1. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

He never lost the plot to the same degree LJ did at one point??

The difference between the two was support from the chairman. (unless someone knows differently for a fact?)

I believe Cotts was at a point where there was no way back. LJ position was worse for me.. A lucky man, because it wasn't his talent that clawed him back (IMO)

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  2. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Basically agree with you here. Fair enough to those who say that both LJ and SC should have been sacked, as I think we all reached that point and we all know LJ was given more benefit of the doubt. What annoys me is those who say SC was the greatest manager alive and shouldn't have gone when in reality he was absolute ****e for us at the end of his tenure.

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Leeds away. Four formations in one half and Taylor and Tomlin trying to play in the same position. Pub team management.

4. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

As long as he's learning by his mistakes I'm happy!!

5. oneforthebristolcity

Thing is, Like SL, I wouldn't have sacked LJ either...not because there's a love in with him, but I think some of us can see he's learning and does try to put things right when it's going wrong.....Tactically I think he will become a really good manager...but time will tell if it's with us..
    Everyone goes on regarding how much has been spent.....in football today, IMO it's loose change!!

6. banksyisourhero

I just seriously don't know where you get this from?? .. I have seen pub team managers with more tactical nous.

7. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Cotts had to go because he played the same tactics and formation and we were adrift at the bottom of the table staring relegation in the face.

LJ barely entered the relegation zone and when he did he changes tactics/formation and pulled us out almost immediately.

I wanted LJ sacked during our bad run by the way - just saying........

8. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

But that was because we'd made a reasonable start to last season and Rotherham, Wigan, Burton and Blackburn had struggled from the off.
    We were still 12th or thereabouts in the league last December then we plummeted.

9. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

SC was given the resources ffs, however he couldn't persuade any good strikers to join us, why was that. LJ persuaded a young striker to join for free and scored 20 plus goals, so despite what the fans think players certainly had different views on their approach. I keep saying it, just because SC couldn't spend it, doesn't mean he didn't have it available

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  10. banksyisourhero

Tammy wasn't available the season before so it is a ridiculous comparison. SC made bids for 2x strikers that have gone on to win promotion with their sides and play premiership football, we couldn't match the deals offered by Burnley for Andre Gray and Dwight Gayle saw us as a backward step for himself. Do you really think either of those players would have given it more consideration had it been Lee Johnson on the end of the phone???

If LJ is so fantastic at spotting strikers, what happened to Engvall?

11. banksyisourhero

Then that begs the question, why did it take him so long to see what the crowd, players and tea lady could see weeks before then??

12. oneforthebristolcity

Just my opinion Banksy....hey ho!

13. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

He should have been learning on the job elsewhere before being allowed to waste millions of pounds and a very good squad

14. oneforthebristolcity

Wasted?? Didn't we get 14 mil for kodja? Where's he wasted it? Plenty of managers spend far more....players cost more.
    How can you learn in the championship without being in it? I don't really see your point..

15. banksyisourhero

Never said it wasn't? You're quite entitled to it. I was just answering the post with my opinion.