1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Complete Lunacy

Discussion in 'Wolves' started by evergold, Feb 21, 2012.

1. evergold

evergold New Member

Well, here we have it. We've been turned down, effectively, by Warnock, Curbishley and now Bruce. Would you not have thought that Moxey might have sounded them out before formally approaching them and releasing to the world his thoughts on the criteria necessary for a new Wolves' manager? Instead, he has simply embarrassed the club.

What is more, he seems about to embarrass the club yet further. Having stressed in his recent public statement that an experienced man with Premiership experience is a MUST, he now is apparently interviewing McDermott who, at 50 years of age, hasn't got one single minute of such experience!

Lord help us! We are going down for sure, no matter who is appointed, but do we have to heap ridicule upon ourselves in the process?

What is more, if any Happy Clappers are inclined to believe that we will simply sail back up into the Premiership next year, believe me, we won't. Not so long as the 2Ms are still in charge. Lord knows how many players will want to abandon ship after we are relegated but you can be absolutely certain that their number will include the few decent ones we have presently.

The reason we are going down is simple. The team isn't good enough. Most players on Wolves' books are Championship level at best. If you don't believe this then you are quite simply deluded. This squad, even though enhanced by new arrivals, has lingered around the bottom of the Premiership for two and a half years, never looking like becoming even a mid-table Premiership team. Sure, boardroom, stupidity (short-sighted meaness) and bad management from Mick (a Championship level manager at best) have contributed (especially in terms of bringing in inferior players) but, unsurprisingly, it is the performances of those players on the pitch which has been the critical factor. They are simply not good enough. Even welded into a unit where every player gives 110 percent every week, they are still not good enough. Nor were they getting better under Mick.

The answer is not rocket science. Quite simply, Wolves must either settle for Championship status or the club must be sold to a buyer with sufficient funds to re-build from scratch. It is just ridiculous for Moxey to say that he was entitled to give Mick the January transfer window before sacking him. He sacked him two weeks later, for God's sake! How could any incoming players be effective in that timescale? And did Wolves (i.e. Mick) make use of that window? Barely. MM got Bassong from Spurs but completely overlooked Krankjar and Corluka from the same club, both of whom were receptive to loans within the Prem. (or overseas equivalent) to help retain their International team places. In short, they would not have cost a fortune. Just look at some of the other low-price and loan transfers done in this recent window. Wolves could have easily picked up five or six players all of whom are FAR better than anything on their books at present. Except, maybe, for the question of who wanted to work under Mick as manager!

On the old BBC 606, I posted regularly last year to the effect that Wolves HAD TO SPEND (on both transfer fees and wages) to stay in the Prem. Around 80 percent of replies were from Wolves' fans paranoid about incurring debt which, in their eyes, could induce a Portsmouth-type scenario. They were proud of the fact that Wolves FC was run on a relative shoestring. Well, now they have the result of that policy. Guess what? The same people are now the most critical of Morgan and Moxey. They should look in the mirror! Spending wisely is not the same as spending recklessly. Astute spending can actually greatly benefit a club (see David Moyes). Also, if it is possible to run a Premiership club on buttons, why do not all the top managers do it? Because it cannot be done, that's why. Wise spending is the only method to both improve the club's position and keep it financially safe. And that's why Wolves are in the mess they are in. The 3Ms just didn't do it.

Now, it's too late. Forget miracles, Championship here we come!

2. hedgeworth

hedgeworth Active Member
    Forum Moderator

Nothing official has actually been announced by any of these candidates yet, we don't know if Warnock was interviewed and we only have media gossip to why these others don't want it. Two days ago Curbs was not happy with only getting a short term contract and i read tonight he only wanted a short term contract, so any news being leaked by the media is 95% bollox, 5% more bollox.

There are still 13 games left and there is no point moaning about going down until it actually happens. I have seen similar posts since our first year in the premiership but 2 years later we are still there.

I don't think anyone thinks we would simple get promoted again next season if relegated. Teams in at the top of the championship are of decent quality and i would hope that we would be amongst the top 10 at least if we did go down, but depends on many factors, one being the manager we have not got yet and two, the players we would lose.

I think this is a little harsh, we have improved the squad since it was in the championship, and at the start of the season were predicted to be mid table by most the pundits. What has happened is that Mick has had us playing the same style of football since we hit the Premier League and where it may have been good enough to keep us up for the last couple of seasons. I think it has hindered some of our more gifted players. O'Hara when he first came was excellent. most games this season he has been naff, and we have many players the same, Doyle not a patch on last season. Jarvis only got going in the last 4-5 games.

I agree that the time for sacking seems a bit naff, should of done at the same time as QPR and Sunderland and gave a new manager a good stab at getting us out of this mess. As far as getting in loan signings, its not just a matter of if Wolves want them they will come. First the club need to agree and then the player needs to agree and then they need to sort out payment. Not as easy as it sounds i am guessing.

The problem is that other teams are not standing still while Wolves make these massive improvements. Other teams are getting wealthy owners, building new stadiums, building new accadamys, buying new players as well. So as a club we need to not just do more, but do more than clubs around us who we are hoping to overtake this season. Pretty sure that's why the new stand was built this season, new shop, restaurants and museum to bring in extra finances. next season the upgraded academy to get more out of the youth team. They seem to be making the right moves off the pitch but if we go down this season then they have messed up calculations on the pitch and its a costly mistake knowing how much money the premier league status gives us.