1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Community Shield Special: Arsenal v Chelsea

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Hoddle is a god, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Match facts

Head-to-head
    • The Community Shield will be a repeat of the previous season's FA Cup final for the first time since 2007, when Manchester United beat Chelsea on penalties having lost to them 1-0 after extra-time in the cup final three months earlier
    • The FA Cup winners have never gone on to beat the same opponent in the following season's Community Shield
    • The FA Cup winners have won each of the last three Community Shields. The cup holders had been victorious in only one of the seven Community Shields prior to this run (Chelsea in 2009)
    • This will be the third Community Shield between Chelsea and Arsenal - with the Blues winning in 2005 and the Gunners in 2015
    • Only Manchester United (nine) have been Community Shield runners-up more times than Chelsea and Arsenal (both seven)
    • Arsenal v Chelsea will equal Chelsea v Tottenham and Chelsea v Manchester United (both four) as the most played fixture at the new Wembley Stadium
    • The last Community Shield winners to go on to win the Premier League in the same season were Manchester United in 2010
    Chelsea
    • This will be Chelsea's 12th Community Shield appearance. Only Manchester United (30), Arsenal (22, including 2017) and Liverpool (21) have made more (Manchester United have played 31 Community Shield matches as the 1908 edition went to a replay)
    • Chelsea have won the Community Shield four times (all outright) - 1955, 2000, 2005 and 2009. Their victories in 1955 and 2005 came as league champions.
    • Chelsea have lost their last three Community Shield matches - in 2010 against Manchester United, in 2012 versus Manchester City and in 2015 against Arsenal
    • This will be Chelsea's 17th match at Wembley Stadium since it reopened in 2007, an outright record for a club (Manchester United are next, with 16 appearances). They have been victorious in 10 of their 16 appearances at the stadium since it was rebuilt (including one penalty shootout triumph)
    Arsenal
    • Only Manchester United (21, 17 outright and four shared) and Liverpool (15, 10 outright and five shared) have won the Community Shield more times than Arsenal (14 - 13 outright and one shared)
    • Arsenal lost their first two matches at the new Wembley Stadium, but have been victorious on all eight visits since (including one penalty shootout triumph)
    • Aaron Ramsey, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Kieran Gibbs, Laurent Koscielny, Nacho Monreal, Olivier Giroud and Santi Cazorla are the only current members of the Arsenal squad to play in both their Community Shield wins in 2014 and 2015
    • Alexis Sanchez has won all six of his matches at Wembley Stadium for Arsenal and Chile, scoring seven goals. He has failed to score in only one of those games - the 3-0 victory against Manchester City in the 2014 Community Shield.

2. Catch all the action, here, lads!

What are your early-doors predictions?

My hearty says Arsenal to trounce the Chavs by a good margin, which will show just how far Chavs have fallen off top 4 pace; but my head tells me that Chavs should win comfortably.

Also, which of Lacazette and Morata will flop the least?

As ever, no wumming please, lads. Thanks.

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Forgot it was on, given its barely even August.
    Anyone give a ****?

Then again, we've got the European equivalent on Tuesday and I will be interested in that so no different I guess.

These matches involve teams who win things HIAG, not sure what your interest is?

gooner4ever, PINKIE and Blueman like this.
  4. Not really sure you can include Arsenal in that, Chief.

Okay, I know they've won the FA Cup in recent times, but that's only because all of the top teams treat it as a "kiddie-training" exercise. No one really takes it seriously anymore, do they?

When it comes to the important stuff, especially the Prem title, Spurs have got a lot closer to that over the past two seasons than Arsenal have done in a decade, so I'm not really sure what you point is, Chief.

I did say "no wumming," remember!

They are London rivals, Chief, playing on Spurs' home-turf. Of course I'm interested!

5. The Ginger Marks

Thread on the Arsenal board is better....but wait you're banned. <laugh>

PINKIE likes this.
  6. The Ginger Marks

Only Wumming.

7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Getting some tips on how to perform at Wembley from the winner, eh?

I get it.

8. Did you not see how we ripped Juventus apart?

I think we can safely say that Spurs' Wembley hoo-doo is now very much a thing of the past, Chief.

9. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

I think this game is 'the care in the community shield' seeing which teams are competing

Hoddle is a god likes this.
  10. The Ginger Marks

That was yesterday.

11. paultheplug

No. That was 'the care about the community shield' which we won handsomely

12. The Ginger Marks

<laugh>

13. <laugh>

14. The Ginger Marks

Reading this mornings headlines the Spuds best defender was Bar. <laugh>

15. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yeah mate, I did.

I try to catch as many Spurs pre season games as possible in August.

Hoddle is a god and pieguts like this.
  16. Stan

Stan Stalker

Do you never got bored of posting these childish, **** essays?

PINKIE likes this.
  17. paultheplug

And Juve's was Post

18. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Gooners to win, this is their type of game. No pressure on them.

Hoddle is a god likes this.
  19. The Ginger Marks

Chelsea don't do well in this traditionally but would settle for seeing us somewhere near a good performance.

20. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

They'll smash you and declare the League won.