1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Commercially Inept

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by TampaBayBCFC, Jun 26, 2017.

1. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

Back in the UK for a week and decided to visit The Gate to see for myself the changes & buy some shirts.

Stadium very impressive.

City shop....no home shirts & staff had no idea when they would be coming in. Plenty of purple but that wasn't what I wanted.

Does the commercial arm of the club have any idea what they are doing??

2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

The new ones are not released yet. We don't even know the new design. That's why you could not get any, nothing to do with being inept just not in stock yet.

3. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

I had breakfast in the grill bar to watch the rugby on Saturday morning .. that was inept!!

4. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

What was inept ?
    The food, the service, the price, or all of it combined ?

5. banksyisourhero

The screen is good, cant really complain about that. but we booked a breakfast table so we had a reserved seat to watch the rugby, he then led me to a table directly in front of the standing area so we couldn't see the screen! he was bemused by this and said "didn't you come to eat?".. I said yeah and watch the rugby!! he couldn't get it, So I gave up.

The breakfast was poor to be honest but then it was cheap (£7.00) but instead of just putting simple stuff on the menu, it was all Advocado and lamb and mint sausages.. I dunno, they just cant get the balance right!

The juice they put out was disgusting. (so many complaints they changed it but after the game and too late)

Also the bar didn't open until 10am, which royally pissed off some of the Rugby lot there to watch the game!

The staff do try hard, its just a lack of common sense to me, they don't think things through from the customers point of view.. my mate said its like you're at a party where it feels like you haven't been invited.

6. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0102-bigsm :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl:

7. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Sounds like some customer service skills need to be implemented but perhaps it's not part of the new corporate image.If any of my employees were ever heard saying "I thought you had come to eat" when you clearly wanted to watch the rugby they would be in the office asap. Sarcasm is not a remedy for poor service or did I get the wrong end of the stick?

8. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

I bought bacon sarnie for my son & I yesterday at the cafe and they were good but service slow. They did apologize. Hate to think what it's like on a match day.

The shop workers had no idea why no red shirts or when they would come in.

It's okay that there's a redesign but educate your staff! Even our new signing is sporting purple today....we are the REDS!!!!

9. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I had cornflakes, and Raene had Coco pops. But she did talk all the way through the game if that makes you feel better <laugh>

10. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I've been saying for years that the old Ashton Gate was big enough for our needs - we very rarely sold out. I would have preferred to see us get to the Premiership FIRST and sell out a couple of seasons to prove the interest was there, rather than invest £millions on a new stadium which we rattle around in during our on-pitch struggles.

Is Health and Safety still restricting the capacity to 24k, rather than the 27k it was designed to hold? If so, that's an awful lot of money spent to increase the capacity by 3k!!!!! (assuming that the 27k doesn't allow for segregation)

11. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Forty five million pounds was not spent to increase the capacity by 6-7000.The money was spent on increasing non match day revenue, and could not have been spent on the XI under financial fair play regs. Spending money on building based assets is exempt under FFP rules.

City had approached/reached the threshold of permitted loss and debts being covered by the owner via equity (Bristol City holdings generally) circa twenty million, and loans - The club accounts identify a twenty million pound loan used to cover operating costs (players).

Mr Lansdown has spent in the region of a hundred million pounds pursuing the Premiership.

By devolping Ashton Gate income is increased, allowing Mr Lansdown to spend and almost certainly lose more of his own money.

12. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

The FFP sounds like a minefield for the accountants and you have given me some more insight as to why we have to tread lightly. Thanks Cliftonville.

13. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

probably earns that a year in interest, so has to pay a little bit of tax .. he is in the CI's about 20% AD's

14. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/financial-fair-play-explained.php

It is not so complex. Mr Lansdown has been covering losses via share issues and loans. City (Mr Lansdown) can lose thirty nine million over three seasons.

To put that into perspective in regards attendances and Ashton Gates capacity 2015 - 16 season ticket sales raised less than three million pounds but the wages and salaries and other costs of the staff (everybodies) were something like fifteen million pounds. The next set of accounts will highlight a significant increase in income via season tickets sales, but filling Ashton Gate week in week out wont cover the staffs wages = The ground had to be redeveloped as Mr Lansdown was reaching consistently the ceiling of what he (its his money not BCFC's) can lose

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  15. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Very interesting - I admit I didn't know anything about the FFP rules. Thanks.

16. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bad joke. Regardless of the price, why don't the idiots who plan and cater for these events realise that this just needs to be a standard full English (for those that want it), and given that you're there to watch an event, and eat and be merry, then the bloody bar needs to be open from the start.

banksyisourhero likes this.
  17. banksyisourhero

Its the disconnected thinking that annoys people..