1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cody Mcdonald is on his way

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by Gills-Prog-seller, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Gills-Prog-seller

Cody is coming back to us on loan. dont know how long but he was at the game on sat against Millwall. it will prob be a year but might be for 6 months while birchall is out. this is good news!! i think Kedders and cody will play well together

2. brb

brb Guest

3. Gills-Prog-seller

well rumor is cody has or is going to sign a 3 year deal with norwich as i heard he was named in there 25 man squad for the premier. but he was at priestfield on sat and was talking to someone in the club who reckons we will get him

4. GFCSTU

GFCSTU Member

BRB I read that the Oldham deal had fell through somewhere on a Oldham forum. I hope it has and he does return, although why now? Have we increased an offer that was turned down or have Norwich only now decided to let him go? I would not write it off the way Hess and Scally have been dealing recently so fingers crossed.:emoticon-0100-smile

UTG!!

5. brb

brb Guest

Obviously it would be great if he did sign, however, in response to your last comment in regards to Cody has or is going to sign a 3 year deal with Norwich, it is a bit contradictory to your thread? especially in light of the link I provided with Paul Lambert saying 'they' have no place in the side.

The doubts I would have is this article stating something about being pushed over budget...
    http://www.kentnews.co.uk/sport/gillingham_keen_to_find_birchall_deputy_1_975870?

Although if it were to happen I would be delighted <ok>

6. Gills-Prog-seller

it would be a loan deal if we do get him. norwich have 3 places left with 6 players so they either will sell or loan to reduce wages, so we should be loaning him as then norwich dont have to name him or lose money as no one will pay what they want for him

7. jokeykid(606)

jokeykid(606) Member

only way we'd get him is on loan till jan with the view to a perminant or the hope for norwich that he will score more goals and put himself on the radar to be sold to someone else. dont get me wrong i'd be over the moon but norwich clearly wanted a silly sum for him given our position and the number of players we needed to bring in.

so unless we sell a few players i highly doubt it will happen

8. brb

brb Guest

9. jokeykid(606)

jokeykid(606) Member

right the plan, all gills fans to buy many many lottery tickets this weekend and all our winnings are to be put into the sign cody fund, hopefully with around 5000 fans buying lottery tickets we should raise the funds required as long as noones gready and keep their winnings :p

10. CanterburyGill

As you said brb, there is no point looking too much into this unless we have a concrete source. Rumours are just rumours without a bit of hard evidence. Not that i would object him comming back.

As for the gills365 link, if Norwich do drop the price for cody, then surely clubs in league 1 and above will be better suited to put an offer in. Unless Mr Scally does another brilliant bit of business like for Whelpdale, lee, kedwell and birchall then I cannot see him comming back, even on loan.

But stranger things have happened!:emoticon-0100-smile

11. brb

brb Guest

Putting any links to the Gills to one side for a minute, I think Norwich or more so Cody have a problem.

Paul Lambert according to that report clearly states there is no room for him, also Peterborough were reported (6th July see link) to have been put off by the £550k + asking price...http://www.eatsleepsport.com/norwich-city/posh-put-off-by-mcdonald-price-1235599.html

So it appears Cody is in limbo, he has until next summer left on his contract, it appears no one is going to come in and pay the asking price for a player that cannot make the Norwich first team and played league two football last season, so the question is at this supposed price tag of £550k + who is going to pay that sort of money despite his goal scoring record?

I can see loan as his only option at the moment - so back to the Gills, Cody said something along the lines of that he enjoyed being with our club, so why not another approach by Mr Scally (if we can afford it), because at the moment Cody does not appear to be going any where for at least the next 6 months.

12. Gills_Steve

Gills_Steve Active Member

I think this rumour falls into the "too good to be true" category...

13. Gills79

Gills79 Member

Agree with GillsSteve. Sounds like more of a wind up.

14. Gordon Road Blue

Gordon Road Blue New Member

This story comes with a lot of if's and maybe's ...
    If Norwich are prepared to loan him back to us, if we can afford to cover his wages (they won't want to be paying too much themselves this time and it's no longer part of the Jacko deal), maybe we could do something short term, say until year end when Birchall might be nearing a return?

As another recent story has stated, Hess is over budget and Scally, thankfully, has backed his manager with some good signings ... I am sure Cody would cost us wages wise, so maybe we could get a helping hand from Ian Hendon at West Ham? That Frank Nouble looks OK? lol

15. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

If Cody is sent out on loan it would make sense for it to be as part of a potential sale, have him till January and buy him then.
    This wouldn't rule us out, but it would make it unlikely.

16. Gills-Prog-seller

if norwich do have him sign a new contract for a couple years, the rumour was a 3 year deal, then a loan to us with us paying the wages will be good for both parties until he has proved his worth enough for a club to come in with a decent offer

17. jokeykid(606)

jokeykid(606) Member

i highly doubt that norwich will sign him up to another contract given the statement they've made about him not being required. if we're cheeky we offer a small amount of money with lots of add on's and a big sell on clause this way we dont have to pay out masses now but we still get the player. they get him off their wage bill but no they are gonna get some money slowly but surely

18. brb

brb Guest

Gills Prog seller - no disrespect but you keep stating these rumours, what's your source?
    You don't seem to be backing up anything you state.

quotes:
    'Cody is coming back to us on loan.'
    'well rumor is cody has or is going to sign a 3 year deal with norwich'

19. bristol407

bristol407 Well-Known Member

I find it hard to see a business case for Norwich to loan him. The limited benefits of a loan deal from a Norwich viewpoint have already occurred but football is a funny business. However something must happen. Birchall seems to be out until the New Year, SPayne is out (possibly no loss) and now Oli is injured....some things do not change.... so there is not exactly much competition up front despite a decent squad. Time for a comeback for Mulligan and Dickson (no I am not serious).

20. gills4everandaday

gills4everandaday Active Member

have noticed that 6 players have been put on the transfer-list by norwich city, 3 of which could be of interest to us gills...CODY MCDONALD, OLI JOHNSON & ANTHONY MCNAMEE!:smiley-finger007:

THOUGHTS?:emoticon-0108-speec