1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Club Statement On Wycombe And Third Party Ownership Regulations

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Gasheadseamge79, May 27, 2014.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

if the FA come forward and say...

"the original punishment was wrong. we missed certain info meaning wycombe should have had a points deduction and not just a £10k fine. however its too late now to change that decision. as a result of this we will offer rovers a compensation payment of X amount".

would that be the best result here? or because the FA took responsibility and admitted doing wrong, do you think we should then appeal as we would have been done over?

im not saying this is how it will go but i can see us getting some sort of compensation as our best case scenario.

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

sorry rod, i dont really get your comment. you have replied to my post which doesnt mention anything about us beating them and they having an advantage over us.

3. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

What I mean is you are saying that it only concerns Rovers with their wrong doing. But if you beat them then it don't matter what advantage they had over you. If you are saying that they had that advantage by doing their wrong doing over a course of a season then that effects every club in your division. So like someone posted it would and should mean a major shake up.

Yes you get reinstated but what about the clubs they beat that are couple points from auto's or play-offs that Wycome beat?

If you won your appeal then say Oxford (used as an example) could say if they didn't beat us we would of been in the playoffs because of their wrong doings?

4. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

Not a word on BBC Points West tonight but they mentioned the rugby team,if Rovers claim was serious surely it's the biggest local sports story.

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

ok, you didnt understand my comment then. here is what i previously said.

"If they are guilty then it's a punishment to Wycombe. No other team will get a points deduction or awarded new points. Meaning no teams will be effected apart from teams who would benefit from Wycombes point deduction which would be us."

i'll explain this better for you...

if wycombe are found guilty...
    NO team will get punished other than wycombe as NO other team has done wrong.
    NO team will be rewarded points that has been lost due to wycombe being found guilty.
    therefore nothing will change in the league standings.
    HOWEVER if the FA gives a points deduction to wycombe as their punishment then they will drop points.
    this means no team above wycombe in the final table will benefit.
    HOWEVER the teams below wycombe would benefit depending on how many points are being deducted.
    now there is just 2 teams below wycombe: rovers and torquay.
    as rovers and wycombe are on the same amount of points, just 1 point being deducted would therefore benefit rovers.
    torquay cannot benefit even if wycombe gets enough points deducted to drop below torquay. torquay would only go up 1 place and still get relegated.

so 1 team would be punished - wycombe.
    if points deduction occurs then only 1 team will benefit - rovers.

the FA and football league cannot change results. so all results throughout the season stands meaning other teams that may have lost out to wycombe during the season cant do anything about it. the only thing that can be done is punishment to the team who broke the rules. and if teh punishment is a points deduction which rovers are fighting for, for obvious reasons, then only rovers can benefit for this.

hope you now understand as i really cant explain it any better <laugh><ok>

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

it was on bbc points west yesterday between 6:30 to 7pm.
    it was also on itv west news yesterday between 6pm to 6:30pm.

it was on yesterdays news as this all came out yesterday. it wasnt on the news today because there is no new news on the story yet.

7. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

He probably still doesn't understand, he is after all a ****head. :D

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

dont be so harsh on him gas. we all know what the south bristol education system is like. sometimes we need to remember this and show patience when explaining things and be prepared to explain things in difference ways <ok>

ROD <hug>

9. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

You've changed :(

I went to school in Wales and Gloucester <doh>

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

yes but you mix with bad association - other reds who has used the south bristol education system.

bad association spoil good habits :)

11. optogas

optogas New Member

I don't think the board expect to get reinstated, I believe they expect to win and be able to sue for the loss of earnings that relegation brings. Problem with that approach appears to be Wycombe our broke so just covering the legal fees may push them under so other than being the club that bankrupted another though spite would we gain anything? Would we also sue the fa? Surely that's biting the hand that feeds you? What's the end game here? I don't think anyone believes we will be reinstated so how do you see this playing out?

12. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

FA will have to come a quick decision - and it won't be in our favour. I just can't see us pursuing Wycombe for compo as they don't have any money and it will cost us a load of money in lawyers and court fees - for a very uncertain outcome. I think once the FA declines to punish Wycombe with a points deduction, the board will drop the whole thing - at least I hope they do.

13. optogas

optogas New Member

My concern with that is I can't see our board having even started this and the costs involved without expecting to win in some form. They may run a football club poorly but business wise they seem to know the ways of the courts. Just wonder if they would see it as acceptable to asset strip wycombe

14. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

I've a feeling we are missing the point here. We don't have many facts, so everything is speculation. I would imagine that the key to this is in the second paragraph of the Rover's letter in that 'others may be involved'. I wouldn't be surprised if the whistleblower has forwarded information which has not previously been brought out in the open. He and the barrister were involved in the original Matt Phillips enquiry, I believe.
    The gas sharp suits may not have been the best judge of who should run our football on the pitch, but in the business end of things they have done us proud on the new stadium.
    It's possible that the Board are seeing this just a business protecting it's own interests where unfair and illegal competition has been uncovered.

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Sports lawyer John Mehrzad believes any legal bid Bristol Rovers embark on to seek reinstatement to the Football League is likely to end in failure.

He said:
    "Rovers are claiming that if these rule breaches had been discovered and investigated earlier then a points deduction would have been the expected punishment. The big issue for me and what I have some real difficulty with is how causation can be proved. Wycombe have admitted to breaching the rules, but the issue is how Bristol Rovers are going to argue that it put them at a disadvantage last season. I'd say the most likely outcome from here is that Rovers will look into taking their case to the High Court in a bid to make a claim for significant damages. The Tevez situation is a lot clearer-cut because it was pretty easy for Sheffield United to prove causation. Tevez played a lot of games for West Ham during that season and scored the goal that kept them up on the final day. Even then a fine was handed down as a punishment rather than a points deduction. There are more complicating issues in this case and my opinion is that Wycombe could be fined by the FA again and then Bristol Rovers will probably look at a High Court action in a bid to recoup some of their lost revenue. Rovers are likely to be out of pocket to the tune of around £1 million as a result of relegation to the Conference, and if some of those losses could be recouped through compensation it could be really significant in helping Bristol Rovers in their bid to return to the Football League very quickly. Going to the High Court can be a costly process in that it can often run in to hundreds of thousands of pounds, but if Rovers were to win the case then Wycombe would have to cover those costs. I think they would certainly have a fair chance of winning if they take that particular course of action, but it would take a number of months and I would also be surprised if the case would go all the way to a hearing. It does seem like there has been a breach of the rules, so the likelihood is that there would be a settlement made out of court, as is often the way with a lot of these sorts of cases. I can imagine that the Football Association will want to expedite this whole situation and find some sort of resolution as quickly as possible. The fixtures for next season are scheduled to be published in a few weeks and that would have to be put on hold if Bristol Rovers were to seek an interim injunction to delay the official confirmation of their relegation."

His statement above was taken from the post.

16. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can see an out of court settlement coming to offset some relegation costs!

17. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

They won't be fined again. They were fined last time and it made no difference. They will get a points deduction for this breach - almost a cert...

18. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

I'm unsure as to how you can claim that a points deduction will be a 'cert' Gastro, when sports lawyers seem to think that this is 'likely to end in failure'.......?

19. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

gastro was thinking the £10k was given 4 years ago meaning they didnt learn their lesson meaning should get points this time <ok>

20. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Goofed up... sorry... points deduction unlikely...:emoticon-0103-cool: