1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Close Season Rumours

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Whitejock, May 1, 2017.

1. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

2. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

I'll get this stickied <ok>

Whitejock likes this.
  3. patb

patb Well-Known Member

Leeds United want Marley Watkins
    The Daily Mail have reported that Garry Monk’s side have made contact about bringing the attacking player to Elland Road.

4. Mr Wolves-White

Mr Wolves-White Well-Known Member

Funny I read an article in an Exeter Newspaper posted on a Leeds group on Facebook that said we were going after Ollie Watkins and he should avoid us at all cost because we don't blood young talent and gave the example of Grimes to prove their point

5. Whitejock

Grimes' talent is so young that it's still to be born yet! :D

6. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic but tenable since Norwich have been cited as interested in Monk, now linked with NI boss Michael O'Neill :emoticon-0130-devil, and who will name new boss immediately after final game whoever it is.

Presumably so he can start planning for next season - are you listening Rad?

Some time in June is too feckin' late.....again. <doh><doh><doh>

7. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thing is, can we really be interested in anyone?

Cellino is selling his other half, Rad will be the new owner, new Chief Exec only just left West Ham, will Monk be offered a new contract, I can't see new players have even been discussed as yet?

8. patb

patb Well-Known Member

HITC Sport understands Peterborough star who Leeds tried to sign has £1.5 million buy-out clause in his deal. News of Maddison's release clause has alerted a number of clubs higher up the football pyramid with the winger regarded as one of the best talents outside the top two divisions in England. Leeds United came close to sign Maddison in January only for the move to fall through, but the Elland Road outfit could rekindle their interest in Maddison knowing he is now available for a lot less than the fee they would paid for him in January.

ristac likes this.
  9. Josh-LUFC

Josh-LUFC Well-Known Member

I really think that if we do sell Wood we should have a look at Britt Assombalonga. Only guy to have a better goals to minutes ratio than Wood this season (except Gayle) and he'd definitely cost less as well a being a year young, kinda one of the many reasons I wanted Forest to get relegated this season. If we have a decent amount of money for transfers I think we should look at him regardless of whether we sell Wood. Maybe we could push Antonsson to help fund it.

10. Whitejock

11. Josh-LUFC

I always like thinking of players who we could/should sign.

A couple wingers that come to mind would be Bakary Sako, who really hasn't stepped up to prem standard for Palace although showing flashes of what he can do there. He was absolutely superb in the championship and I would say one of the best wingers in recent years that i can remember for this level, incredibly fast, left footed with a fierce shot who tends to average 10-15 goals a season as well as a decent amount of assists. From memory he went there for around 4m or so and has been used sparingly this season. Maybe they'd wanna recoup their money but I'd say definitely worth it.

Another is Tom Lawrence, he's been on loan at Ipswich from Leicester this season. Vaguely remember us being linked with him in Jan but I'm not sure how that woulda worked at the time considering his loan with Ipswich was till end of season. Another winger but can play upfront or attacking mid, he's scored 11 goals this season as well as getting 9 assists. He's 23 years old now which might be time for him to make a permanent move away from Leicester if he hasn't made it there by now. Either way, permanently or on loan I'd take him.

ristac and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  12. Whitejock

13. Josh-LUFC

14. Whitejock

I agree that Bartley is a priority, but if nothing happens on that front, I have every faith in Cooper. He has been a mainstay for a number of seasons (excluding last season), covering for mistake-a-minute clowns like Bellusci, Bamba, Pearce, & Wootton. And he was consistent throughout this period. With game time, i have no doubt that he will return to his previous form.

But having said all that in his favour, I'd still like Bartley signed! :D

15. Josh-LUFC

I have honestly never seen a game that I have thought Cooper is good enough for a promotion chasing team (obviously don't see as much as you). Just my opinion but we need a lot better than him.

16. Whitejock

The point I'm trying to make is that you've only seen him play alongside clowns - not just doing his job, but covering for their mistakes too! He's done ok when called upon this season, especially when you consider he's not been match fit & hasn't enjoying the benefit of building a relationship with either of our 2 prime CBs.

17. Josh-LUFC

I have seen him make basic errors before on many occasions. Thats all I am saying, I don't think he is good enough and have never thought he is good enough. I remember one particular error he made defending a corner where he let his man run free and didn't even challenge for the ball giving the striker a free header within 6 yard box and obviously they scored. These sort of errors are quite common with him. I am convinced we would concede more with him in the team. Regardless, if we don't sign Bartley we still need to sign 2 more CBs just for competition and cover for places, should have 2 players for each position and with Bartley we only have 3 CBs total.

Whitejock likes this.
  18. Josh-LUFC

Its not like good CBs don't exist either. Aden Flint at Bristol City is a great CB and looks like he'll probably move this summer, he's 27 so probably starting to hit his prime as a CB. He does seem similar in style to Pontus but he has one of the highest headed clearances in the champ this season. He's also a leader on the pitch which we need. Would be a decent parting of cash to get him to sign up.

Ryan Bennett, just released from Norwich. He's a very good centre back who hasn't been fully utilised there due to them investing in Klose who is absolute quality. Can play right back as well costing nothing. Would definitely strengthen our CB situation.

James Tarkowski from Burnley. A player I've admired for years, was the captain at Brentford and signed for them when they got promoted. Hasn't really played as much as I'd have expected him to, maybe he wants first team football again. 24 years old and improving, problem is Burnley will probably want to keep him if Keane goes elsewhere.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  19. Whitejock

I'm not familiar with those players,tbh.

I see the NN press is still carrying stories of us following up our (apparent) December interest in Liam Lindsay of my beloved Partick Thistle for £750k. I'm a bit torn on this one. Thistle are having their best season since the early 80s and he's played a major part in it. But as the Jags are a selling team, and he's a target for a few teams, I'd rather him go to Leeds than anywhere else. Big lad (6'5", I think), young & a goalscorer too (6 so far). Deffo worth a good look.

20. Josh-LUFC

A player like Flint would probably cost 4-5m. Lots of interest in him from a couple prem teams as well as Derby who are currently favourites for him. He's one of THE top CBs in the league to be honest and I doubt without more investment than last summer we'd be trying to sign him. James Tarkowski depending on Burnley's situation might be the same, but at the same time they might be ok with letting him go for a standard fee. Bennett just seems like a no-brainer to me, prem experience, decent player, free and would add that bit of competition for places.

Obviously don't know much about Liam Lindsey, how old is he? do you think its a comparable enough level for him to make a decent impact or just go into oblivion here like Erwin?