1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Clive on being a yo-yo club

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by mcytiger, Jan 18, 2017.

1. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

Yes, I went to that one Nines. Seem to remember Warren Neil scoring a really good goal. We thought we were nailed on to qualify then we lost the away leg 4-nil or 5-1 and went out on the away goal rules. That was nearly the end of Mullery I think.

QPR999 likes this.
  2. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Yes he was sacked shortly afterwards. We had just beaten Stoke 2-0. The story of his sacking goes something like this ...

''He learned of his sacking through a mutual friend, Reg Drury, the old boxing commentator, when both and Jim Gregory were at a black tie dinner somewhere on Park Lane. Drury approached Mullery and said that Jim wanted a word. Something about a new contract. Mullery walked to the bar where Gregory was, Gregory put his hand out to shake and said "Arrividerci Alan - its not working out for me - I'll sort you out" - Mullery said he was flummoxed and wandered back to his wife at the table saying "I think I've just been sacked". His wife said for him to go back and check with Gregory. So Mullery wandered back and said "Jim, what do you mean?" to whit Gregory replied "Don't you f***ing understand French! You're fired!"

Read more: http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/19970/day-1984-alan-mullery-after#ixzz4WJJjk9MT

3. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

I am usually quite sad when a manager doesn't work out for us but I seem to recall being very happy when he got sacked. I was standing down in the paddocks back then and an ever larger crowd were assembling each home game to abuse Mullery just next to us. Although I didn't join in I did think it quite funny when at the next home game they were singing 'He's fat, he's round. we kicked him out of the ground, Mullery....'.
    They all then seemed to return to their normal places in the ground after that.

Tramore Ranger and QPR999 like this.