1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Claude Puel

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fatletiss, Feb 27, 2017.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Being in the right place is a major plus for a striker. I think we are going to see a lot more tap ins with Gabby....they all count. Prepared to be proved wrong, but don't see him scoring many headers....mainly because he is built like a string of spaghetti. :)

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Apparently, under that sleek exterior is a muscled bronzed god..! He isn't noted for his heading ability. Great players are often **** at heading. Here's his Wikipedia style of play description:

"Regarded as one of the most promising Italian players of his generation, Gabbiadini is a versatile, creative, well-rounded, and hardworking forward, with an eye for goal, who is capable of playing in several offensive positions, either in the centre as a striker, as a supporting forward, as an attacking midfielder, or as a winger on either flank. His preferred role is on the right, however, where he is capable of cutting into the middle and curling shots on goal with his stronger left foot, rather than looking to deliver crosses into the area from the touchline. A dynamic player with good tactical awareness, he possesses pace, as well as a good positional sense and offensive movement, which allow him to play between the lines, or take advantage of openings and spaces by making attacking runs into good areas in which he can receive the ball. He also possesses good control, quick feet, and technical skills, which, along with his strength, enable him to retain possession when playing with his back to goal and hold up the ball for teammates. Gabbiadini is capable both of creating and scoring goals due to his intelligence, link-up play, and his powerful and accurate shot with his left foot, in particular from outside the penalty area; he is also an accurate set-piece taker. In spite of his height and physique, he is not particularly strong in the air."

BTW, here he is without the huge face-fuzz and big hair. Needs to get back to that look, methinks:
    upload_2017-3-5_17-17-27.jpeg

3. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

The players all seem to be very positive about him - the exception obviously been Fonte who was treated pretty poorly by Puel. I cannot see the notorious diamond being re-introduced and I think that he will be allowed to play the more entertaining style in to next season. At least it is unlikely that he will be poached on the summer albeit I think he will eventually return to France. Seeing that we will not be playing in Europe next season, he will not need to revert to the extensive rotating and it will be interesting to see what he ultimately considers to be his best starting eleven. Since the excessive rotation has stopped and we have had consistency, he have played better. I would like to see some stability even though I would have suggested prior to January that retaining him would have been a risk. He deserves another season but I also hope that there are not too many changes in the playing staff as well.

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

*fetches popcorn*

5. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Seriously, what is the point of keeping going on about the first half of the season and the diamond?...there were reasons for playing it and for rotating the squad too.

6. Ian Thumwood

Because the diamond didn't work and the rotation policy was of limited success. <doh>

7. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

But it is history and the reasons for the policy were to avoid burning out the players in a long and hard season which we are now benefitting from.<doh>

8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

We're struggling to place twice a month at the moment!! One match between now and April!!

9. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Or more chance of playing Derby!! That might be better!!!

10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I'm actually proud of myself.... I decided to leave that one :)

11. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I have never not liked Puel, so unless you liked him at his previous club... ;)

And by the way, I think you're being a bit lukewarm with your 9th or 10th place finish. We win our game in hand and we're only 8 points behind Everton in 7th. Doable.

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

I'm actually proud of you too mate <hug> <laugh>

fatletiss likes this.
  13. Ian Thumwood

I suspect that the Arsenal game will be re-arranged for 25/03/17 as both teams do not have a fixture on that date. I haven't heard anything official yet, though.

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

Is that a European week?

15. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's international weekend. So a big fat no to playing then.

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Cheers, I hadn't checked and assumed it was midweek.

17. Ian Thumwood

St Bendy

cheers - this means I can take my nephew to a non-league match. I had forgotten about the internationals/

18. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

For the Utd game, the next available midweek for them seems to be Tues 11/Weds 12 April. But that gets taken off the table if Utd progress past Rostov. It would then be Tues 25/Weds 26 April, which would be unaffected by EL (or FA Cup for that matter - albeit with no QF replays, that's irrelevant now anyway).

As for Arsenal game, assuming they get knocked out by Bayern, then the same two weeks as above are option, together with the weeks of Tues 14/Weds 15 March and Tues 18/Weds 19 April.

The caveat to the above though is that there are CL matches on Tues 14/Weds 15 March, Tues 11/Weds 12 April and Tues 18/Weds 19 April - and UEFA don't tend to like non-European matches taking place alongside CL matches. But due to logistics, UEFA might have to lump it - exhibit A being Man City v Stoke this coming Wednesday.

Utd might well have to win the EL to qualify for CL football next year, because going deep in all three cup competitions will be a nightmare of a fixture pile-up for them. Especially when compared to someone like Liverpool.

Libby likes this.
  19. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Saints have already been informed by the PL that they won't be informed of dates for our outstanding games until the end of March.

20. Ian Thumwood

I believe that the Hampshire Senior Cup final is at St Mary's this season and that will also need to be factored in although I think this is later in April. The semi finals are this week with Winchester away to Basingstoke.