1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Claude Puel - Gone!.............Confirmed.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by A Matter Of Time, May 1, 2017.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

If Schad had worded it differently and inferred Saints may have a better/closer relationship with Wilson than others, would that be more believable?

2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

It would be more believable because it would mean something different.

I am sceptical about the idea that Jeremy Wilson is our "pet journalist", or that every word he writes about Saints has been spoon fed to him by our press office.

To me the article linked above looks pretty much without substance. The sort of stuff journo's on autopilot probably turn out when they are under pressure to fill some column inches before adjourning to the pub. I may be completely wrong about that - I'm wrong on an almost daily basis about stuff I read in the press lately - but I'm not up for scouring a non article for clues that I suspect don't really exist.

3. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

No one reads the Telegraph but it's true, a Twitter search for "jwtelegraph + southampton" is all you need to confirm.

4. fatletiss

Sometimes my rabbits read it. When our local shop gives us old copies for their tray.

Archers Road and Missing Lambo like this.
  5. fatletiss

The article may be pants, I agree. Just saying that Schad has a fair point about Wilson, if his words are softened slightly. I'd take more note of what he says than others. "Believable" in my post referred to Saints relationship with Wilson rather than the article.

6. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

It's good for that because for some reason it's still about 2 metres long.

fatletiss likes this.
  7. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

An interesting thought to add to the debate..........An awful lot of us think of Lawrie Mac as a Legend.........Is this the time perhaps to remind folk that the first thing that happened in Lawrie Macs tenure..........Was to get us relegated from the then 1st Division? (Apologies if this has been mentioned before) Just a reminder as he turned out to be quite a useful manager until he was tempted to go back home and we all know how that turned out!!

8. fatletiss

Rabbit owners paper of choice.

Archers Road likes this.
  9. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Okay okay, so some great managers have had poor first seasons. But that doesn't mean poor 1st season = future greatness.

10. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Totally agree................however all I was pointing out that a bad first season doesn't necessary make for a bad second season............

11. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Indeed. I think they will stick with Paul. My brain says this is correct, my eyes say this is a bad choice!

12. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I would call this season disappointing rather than bad...had a cup final and finished 8th (good), but were boring a lot of the time and couldn't score (bad). All clubs in this country (apart from 7) would be happy to be us....but we have got used to entertainment.

13. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I was speaking to my Gran the other day(my source of knowledge from that era :emoticon-0105-wink:
    She said that Lawrie received hate mail during that time. He tried to change too much , too quickly was the big criticism, but Ted stood firm behind his protege.

A question for everyone.

If you're Puel or a perspective new manager, what would be in your manifesto for change? What key things do you think can get this club back on course?

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The new manager should be easy on the eye and have a nice line in dry wit during press conferences.

Oh, be able to manage a football team would be an advantage but not essential.

15. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Always worth re-stating, Beddy. Also we were knocked out of the Cup by 3rd Division Wrexham. Then he got rid of Terry Paine. Can you imagine how this board would have gone into meltdown in '74 :emoticon-0100-smile

16. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

And surely your brain is correct. If we start sacking managers after one ok season doesn't lead to success, only teams like Man City can replace a Pellegrini with a Pep.
    A first season sacking says either we made a mistake and need to correct it or we have a much better option now.
    The former is hardly proven by this season and the 2nd is unlikely, all our options would be another unknown quantity for success in the the EPL.

Next season is another ballgame and your eyes will obviously need to see evidence of improvement as we have all (fans, Manager, board) seen the issues and need to be finding solutions. Lets see what the transfer window and start of next season brings and if the Manager & Board have done their bit then the fans need to do theirs, which means being the 12th man not the entitled child throwing their toys out the pram.

Whiteley Saint and claytonsaint like this.
  17. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Totally agree but you have also correctly touched on the difference between 1974 and 2017. Social media puts incredible pressure and coaches, owners and players alike. We now live in a society where instant success is demanded so the minimum of three years for a manager to mould his own team and style is (sadly) unlikely to ever happen again. Fans are fickle and sway with the wind (Claude was the new messiah the week after we nearly won the cup and went on to beat Watford 4-0 awn from home) but a run of poor results can soon turn social media toxic. For me one the biggest (and most unpleasant) changes is player power. That the likes of Lallana, Chambers, Lovren, etc. can stick two fingers up at the club who have given them their first shot at the big time simply would not have happened in 1974. Not at our club anyway. Anyone who got too big for their boots would be shifted out - usually downward because the big clubs wouldn't take the risk of a disruptive influence on the changing room.

People need to vent their frustration over the fact that in 7 years we have failed to move from the bottom of league 1 to winning the European Cup and the hierarchy at St Mary's are easy targets. In truth, our success is a reality and is because the hierarchy - in the main - hold firm. I'm not convinced either way on Claude at the moment but will renew my season ticket and will support 'the team' come whatever next season.

18. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

Wilson isn't a bad journalist at all - he just has close contacts with Saints. Most accurate information regarding Saints' activity is usually written by one of Wilson, Adam Blackmore from solent, or Adam Leitch from the Echo - now they are back in the fold post-Cortese. (Plus Gordon Simpson, who used to work for the Echo, is now Communications officer for Saints).

I would certainly trust what Wilson writes: he reported Koeman, and Puel's appointments during the 'interview' stages if I recall.

19. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

My missus read this and is pressing my Armani suit as I write. I think she's trying to get me out from under her feet.

I was described as a "charming maverick" by the GS of my union when I retired, and I used to run an under 8's football team. My application is in.

20. fatletiss

Did you get the suit from a local lad to you and Have you checked the label on it Lambo?

Does it say, "R Mane" on the back of the label?