1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chris Powell sacked today

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Leftbehind

Leftbehind Active Member
    Staff Member

2. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Hope you don't mind, LB, but I merged the two threads <ok>

3. Leftbehind

Leftbehind Active Member
    Staff Member

nope all good

4. West Stand Willy

West Stand Willy Active Member

The defense is : QPR director of football Les Ferdinand said that replacing Ramsey was in the "best interests of the club". They can't argue with that given Sir Les' colour.

Leftbehind likes this.
  5. Leftbehind

Leftbehind Active Member
    Staff Member

Love it so Les is a race Traitor, vile scum bag

6. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Taking over from Onest Arry is a mug's game. He should just have left a note saying "there's no money left", same as at Portsmouth.

7. Scratchingvalleycat

Scratchingvalleycat Active Member

Disagree with a lot of this. CP was a good a coach and listening to Radio Leeds on my way south last night a lot of the Huddersfield fans thought so as well. He was given a small squad, no money and had players sold over his head, yet he still managed to be above us in the league. He is a manager like Curbs who makes a good fist of making a purse out of a sows ear. It is not a silk purse but it worked. He would have kept us up in 2013 I have no doubt if he had been able to select from the players he had at the start of that season, players he had brought in. The money that has been wasted since would have been used to strengthen wisely.

Would I have him back as a manager, someone who has the club at heart and speaks his mind to owners, you betI would.. Would he come back under Duchatelet and Meire, I sincerely doubt it and hope not.

The race card is not one which should be played here but the common thread here is owners who believe they know football and have taken control away from managers.

8. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Jurgen Klopps former assistant, David Wagner, succeeds CP at 'udders. It appears Powell's time was over before the credible 2-2 draw at Reading.

9. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

SCP finished 9th in his last full season with us, where he had control. i think if we had got decent owners in then, who were willing to spend between £5m and £10, we'd probably be a premierleague team now.

instead he got between 5p and 10p, and shyte like lillian the clown thuram, koc, and all the other crap.

there was never this feeling of disinterest when he was here. i have 3 spare tickets for saturday, i cannot give them away at present, that's how bad we are now.

10. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

Also it was Lillian's younger cousin Yohann, who wasn't/isn't fit to lace his older cousins boots. What a great player he was.

11. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

I'd have him back in a heartbeat won't happen I know re his time at udders he has so.d all his best players steered them to safety last season spent virtually nothing and sits 5 points above us this season .

Scratchingvalleycat likes this.
  12. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

Would not want Powell back. Football under him was negative. Would want either Lambert, Pearson or O Driscoll. But after Saturday's win it will be Fraeye.

13. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

So the big exclusive in today's VOTV is yet another interview with Chris "Can't let go" Powell.

Why ?

It's all been said as far as Powell is concerned, and his subsequent record at Huddersfield & Derby suggests Duchatelet was right to sack him on footballing grounds.

Why does Everitt & the Varney mob persist in perpetuating the Chris Powell myth, over 3 years after he was sacked as manager?

14. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I like CP. don't understand the flak he gets.

15. ForestHillBilly

Using SCP as a rod to beat Roland with seems fair enough. Using Riga, who should never have been sacked first time, would be fair enough as well. Riga was the only appointment of Roland's who actually seemed a proper fit at Charlton. Think of Roland's e-mail to SCP explaining tactics, and I'd always back SCP against Roland.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  16. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

i cant believe SCP gets any jip at all given the position he left us in and where we are now.

if our ground shrank to the size of wellings, our attendances went down to 1000, we sold the training ground; but we had new owners we'd be better off. SCP leaving us 9th in the champ no matter what sort of football he played cannot mean he's entitled to a bashing surely.

17. User deleted as requested

Our very own Dame Nellie Melba. That's why.

18. ForestHillBilly

Roland would love that one-liner.

19. User deleted as requested

He can have it - if he sells up and f*cks off.

20. User deleted as requested

The interview with Powell in yesterday's VOTV focused solely on how he built the 101 point promotion side, & was all the better for it.

CP said that he wanted a team of leaders in League 1 - so went out and in addition to Solly and Jackson signed Matt Taylor, Hollands & Morrison - all of whom he rated as captains on the pitch. Tough decisions were made on Semedo & Paul Hayes, who was popular within the team but lost his place to Yann.

Powell went into detail about background checks & signing people with the right character. Identical to the managerial model successfully employed at Charlton by Lennie Lawrence & Alan Curbishley, but then so disastrously abandoned by Dowie & Pardew plus every Duchatelet stooge manager.