1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chester City FC - an inspiration and a reminder

Discussion in 'Non-League' started by Channon walked on H2O, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Channon walked on H2O

Channon walked on H2O Active Member

As Chester don't have their own sub forum, just thought I'd post and see if there is any reaction. Living only 30 odd miles away, as a football fan I felt for them when they went out of business. Given they were forced out of business owing less than Pompey owed the local hot dog vendor meant I was enraged!

Their fans wouldn't let them die and bought out the embers of the club. Now they have won one Evo Stick league and top the next. I have no idea of the structure of non-league footie, but the only way is up and their crowds are better than they were when they were struggling at the bottom of Division 4 (or whatever name it had at the time!). They are now moaning at only possibly getting 1600 tickets for a local derby coming up; in the old days they'd have been happy to fill a mini-bus for away games. Saints fans stared down the abyss, and must every day thank the footballing gods (if no other deity) for Herr Liebherr and our salvation. For that reason alone I hope Saints fans will join me in keeping an eye on them (http://www.chester-city.co.uk) as they push for further progression. Their fans are an inspiration and deserve the congratulations of all football fans. They also serve as a timely reminder of what might have been.

2. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

It was a said day when they were pushed out of business, glad they are on the way back now. Go Chester!

3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

As you say, there but for the grace of God (and Markus)...

An inspiration and a reminder indeed!

4. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

It's sad when any football club goes out of business, particularly when it's one that represents an entire area, town or city. From my childhood days, I can still see some of those old clubs in the football results, and when they disappeared they were quietly forgotten. With the internet, one can find out what became of them and whether they rose again. Clubs like the recently discussed Bradford Park Avenue [called simply, Bradford, in those days], Third Lanark, Clydebank, Airdrieonians [formerly Clydebank, now Airdrie Utd], Accrington Stanley [they've properly made it back], Halifax Town, Wimbledon, and of course, Chester City. Plenty of the old clubs and names are plying their trade in non-league, but just occasionally they disappear altogether, and that's a real shame.