1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chery asks for move

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by LondonCalling, Jan 2, 2017.

1. YappyR

YappyR Well-Known Member

That, along with really good Chinese food and some beautiful Chinese ladies.

2. GroveRanger

GroveRanger Well-Known Member

£4million looks like a decent deal but with where we are at the moment can Olly expect to attract anyone as good or better than Chery? It will be a tough ask expecting Championship or Premier league players to take a chance with QPR and would you want to come up from League One with the risk of dropping straight back down?

I don't know if the old cliché of "too good to go down" applies to us at the moment. Does it sound like Rangers are expecting the worst already and Olly is looking to off-load anyone worth a few quid to spend on a strong League One side for next season?

There is still a lot of time to turn things around so I'm trying to be positive and a couple more wins would see us comfortably in mid-table and we could look to structure a team over the summer that might get us into the top 10 or even a play-off place. I'd rather mid-table obscurity than a relegation battle.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I remember reading about Chery's family background and early years, which were very rough indeed. I think (may have dodgy memory) that he was fairly upfront about money being important to him for security for his family. In which case China would be very tempting, and Oscar going there adds a bit of credibility to the whole thing. Can't really blame him.

4. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

What is the problem with money being important to him? This is the reason he is a professional footballer!

I have no idea what his current wage is or how much he will be paid in China.

However, who would turn down a job offer of an increase of £20k per week?

Again, I don't know what his increase would be, but this isn't beyond the reals of probability. I also have no idea of the rate of taxation in China but this could be another reason to go there.

Staines R's likes this.
  5. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Those two, especially Oscar are rich beyond most people's dreams.
    Oscar will be a millionaire and Chery must be very wealthy.
    Go to China when you're 34/35. Not when you're still young/good enough (especially Oscar) to play at a very good level.
    I can never understand this type of greed.

LondonCalling likes this.
  6. rangercol

All sound logic if your sole motivation in life is money.
    I'd find it very hard to turn down another 20k a year.
    However, if I was already earning 20k per week and playing professional football I'd want to play at the highest level I could for as long as I could.
    Unfortunately it seems many modern players don't share the dream of becoming a footballer like me and my mates when we were growing up.
    It's the celebrity driven world we live in.

7. rajman

rajman Active Member

The reason these guys go are because they are offered silly wages which they would be stupid to turn down.
    In return, they are the top player in a less than average team, but they are the 'Franchise' player of that team.
    The Chinese league are trying to get a foothold in the 'premier league' market, it started withthe Japanese J League back in the 90's when Linekar went to Nagoya. It carried on with the MLS - who to be fair have benefited from the influx of over the hill foreign players, and now have a stable competitive league with good overall attendances. The Russian's and Qatar and Saudi tried it but didn't work out for them.

NorwayRanger likes this.
  8. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

It's a short career and you are only one bad tackle away from being finished
    Would anyone really turn down a massive pay rise because someone else thinks you shouldnt

9. rangercol

Players are insured against career ending injuries.
    I'd turn the pay rise down for the reasons I stated above.

10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I think it's debatable that Chery would experience a lower standard of football in China than he is getting with QPR at present. Oscar is another matter.

Just looked at the wiki list of foreign players who play/have played in China. It's a very long list, very very few stay for more than a year and there are very few big names on it, and hardly any players from the established Western European countries. I think Chery would be the first Dutch player. Looks like a quick pay day rather than a career move.

11. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

How many players live the dream and play for the club they supported as a child
    It's a career now
    Most peoples careers are rightly or wrongly based on what they earn
    Why should footballers be any different

12. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

Axel Witzel will join the Chinese league from Zenit St. Petersburg. He will earn the same as Messi and Ronaldo do, without the commercial part of course. Reportedly more than £300.000 pr. week! His only reasoning was money, he said it would be wrong to turn such an offer down, the security of his family was far more important than his own sporting ambition.
    His family are probably well off already, that isn't the point, the money on offer is so far over marked value it is impossible to turn down.

I know of only one player who have done it and that is Odion Ighalo at Watford. When Watford got promoted they accepted a +£10 million offer from China for Ighalo. He himself was offered around £180.000 pr. week, ten times what he was earning at Watford in the Championship. He turned it down cause he would then have to give up his dream of playing in the Premier League.

For a player like Chery who isn't in the same bracket as Oscar etc. will probably get more money in one year in China than he would make in 4 years playing for us. It really is a no brainer, good luck to him.

Staines R's and rajman like this.
  13. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

If I was Chery I'd be on the first plane to Shanghai or wherever it is. He won't have made fortunes from football and can set his family up for life with a few years there. Not to mention it's a new, interesting culture compared to living in a very pleasant but probably quite mundane part of Middlesex or wherever he is now.

NorwayRanger and kiwiqpr like this.
  14. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

NorwayRanger and kiwiqpr like this.
  15. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Ian Holloway should go to china, the fun just saying his name

16. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Then they could go on about him not speaking Chinese

Wherever likes this.
  17. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

It looks like he's off to his boyhood team <laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

please log in to view this image

18. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

I'm just amazed that anyone is scouting the current QPR squad looking for quality talent. More likely Chery just has a good agent which is also how he came to SLF's attention in the first place. The Championship is probably the toughest competitive test Chery has faced in his career and on balance he has failed it so if we can get a tidy sum I would say it was good business for everyone involved.

QPR999 likes this.
  19. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat Well-Known Member

We have a half decent striker already in Sylla. At this level he's an absolute handful and I think he'll continue to improve. If we're looking to play with 1 upfront, you won't find many better within our budget IMO.

However, you're not wrong in alluding to the point he needs help up top

QPR Oslo likes this.
  20. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

What did we pay for Chery originally?