1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Cheltenham...

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Tramore Ranger, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Surprised there's not been a thread on this so far......

Anyway some poor punter has just lost £500,000, yep half a million pounds on Douvan in the big race today....

Apparently the same person bet £400,000 yesterday and won......

Wonder in Hammersmith Junior had anything to do with it?

2. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Never mind that fella with his £500k, Douvan buggered up my £5 placepot.

3. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

i wouldn't be wasting money on a 2/9 favourite - those races are the ones to sit out

4. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat Well-Known Member

Been a festival for the bookies thus far to say the least!

Not fared well myself, been some interesting results, but credit to Gordon Elliot who's had a great meet so far

5. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Mugs game indeed. That punter bet £400k to win £100k yesterday, obviously a 'professional' gambler but staking that on jump races is lunacy. Apparently Douvan 'tweaked a muscle' at one of the early fences and that was that, nice 11/1 winner instead. Bookies laughing all the way to their bulging satchels...

6. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Not sure a professional would risk so much on a race like that. More likely just a mug with more money than he knows what to do with.

7. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Co Waterford trainer for Special Tiara as well no less.....:emoticon-0148-yes:

Sooperhoop likes this.
  8. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

You may be right there, the race he won yesterday was with Altior who was under pressure in 2nd place coming to the last when the leader fell, he may have won anyway but it was a less than impressive performance from such a hot favourite...

9. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Not had a bet yet as I've been swamped but I'm there on Friday and hopefully in front of the TV most of tomorrow.

Any Friday tipsters out there??

10. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Yeah don't go & save your money & buy a 17/18 season ticket!

11. Bwood_Ranger

Nah.

Get up that hill.

12. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

I'm not a big gambler but I won a few euros today thanks to Gordon Elliott's horse in the bumper. Free pints on Paddy's Day courtesy of Paddy Power.

13. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Wish I was that poor. "C'est la vie" "Some you win some you lose" Any other cliches that spring to mind?

14. goldcoast hoop

goldcoast hoop Well-Known Member

You stupid pr--k

15. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

Glad to report I wasn't involved in that lunacy Tramore. Been an absolutely manic 3 days and today is going to be even madder, what with it being St Patrick's Day ! It's been a very poor Meeting in my opinion,much lower standard than I can ever remember. Far too many top horses missing,and wide open races being won by inferior horses. Obviously it's been good for us bookies,but I honestly want to see the best horses running at the best meeting in the world ! Anyway chaps,i'm going to put up a few of my personal bets for later today. It's totally up to you if want to waste any of your hard earned on them. I'm having a wee wager on Charlie Parks in the Triumph,i do like a French import,especially a Nicky Henderson one. Secondly I think Augusta Kate can upset the favourite and provide Walsh and Mullins with another winner. Lastly we move onto the most open and poor looking Gold Cup for decades, with the previous first 3 in the betting all missing. There are so many possibles,I wouldn't put anyone off backing nearly anything in the race. For me I can't have Djkadam,I just believe his chances have come and gone(admittedly against better opposition). Equally I won't be on Native River,a hugely improving handicapper,but this might be too sharp a rise in class for him just now. I really would love to see Cue Card win at the age of 10,he is the true class horse left in the field,and if he stays on his feet I think he can make history and finish his great career on a high. I'm also going to have a healthy each way bet on Outlander,i can see him running a huge race and at the least making the frame. I'm off to bed now,absolutely shattered. Back up in 4 hours,to do it all again ! Good luck to everyone,and I hope you win a few bob.

16. Bwood_Ranger

Finished up yesterday thanks to Lil Rockefeller getting a place. Had it held on I'd be in The Maldives right now.

On to today and I won't pretend to be 1% as knowledgeable as HJ but I've plucked the following out of thin air

1) Yankee on Ruby's four horses- £3 Yankee pays out about £20k :1980_boogie_down:

13:30 Master Blueyes in the first

14:10 Joey Sasa EW as it wears hoops. Air Horse One EW as I like the jockey and name.

14:50 The Worlds End

15:30 my group always have a bit on Smad Place so have to back that EW. Will probably go for Cue Card on the course.

16:50 Gibrafaro EW at silly big price

Come on all the horses

17. NigsyHoops

NigsyHoops Well-Known Member

Watford I backed Lil Rockefeller as well EW along with a 12/1 and 16/1 seconds EW yesterday.
    Have backed Ami Desbios 2.50 anti post at 33/1 but don't think it's soft enough now.
    Vosne Romanee 2.10 Dr Newland knows his stuff. Mohaayed in the same race, first time in a handicap and bottom weight.
    4.50 Tommy Silver, Nicholls has not had a winner yet and I Shot The Sherriff Tony Martin likes to get his money down.
    And it the get out stakes Le Prezien.
    Up on the last 3 days and even if all my nags blow out still a little bit in front on the 4 days. Hope you back some winners. And ALL Jockeys and Horses return OK.

18. Bwood_Ranger

Done my bollocks so far. Fingers crossed for the last two races. Poor quality of racing though apart from the first I think.