1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Cheltenham Town Vs The Gas Build Up/Match Day Thread And Poll

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Gasheadseamge79, Feb 4, 2013.

?

Final Score

1. Cheltenham Win

2. Gas Win

3. Score Draw

4. Goalless Draw

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cheltenham Town Vs Bristol Rovers, Whaddon Road, Cheltenham, Tuesday 5th February 2013, KO 7:45pm

please log in to view this image

Cheltenham Town Football Club Info

Nickname - The Robins

Stadium - Whaddon Road

Capacity - 7,066

Address - Whaddon Road, Cheltenham, GL52 5NA

Manager - Mark Yates

Telephone - 01242 573558

Website - http://www.ctfc.com/

Head To Head - The Robins Vs The Gas http://www.bristolrovers-mad.co.uk/head_to_head/cheltenham_town/vs/bristol_rovers/index.shtml

Current League Position: 3RD PLD 29 W 13 D 9 L 7 GD 4 PTS 48

Last Five League Games

Oxford United (A) L 1-0

York City (H) D 1-1

Morecambe (A) D 0-0

Rochadale (H) D 0-0

Torquay United (H) W 2-1

Form (last five games) - L D D D W - Total Points - 6 From 15

Last Two Games Between The Robins And The Gas

Wednesday 3rd October 2012 - Bristol Rovers 0-1 Cheltenham Town

Saturday 21st January 2012 Cheltenham Town 0 - 2 Bristol Rovers

[video=youtube;5tWVVhPMteE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tWVVhPMteE[/video]

How Will It Go

Well I still can't believe we have won four of our last five games its been a while since we last done this and on the other hand I'm a bit surprised by Cheltenham's current form having only won one from there last five outings. Judging by The Robins games of late there defense seems solid but hopefully it looks like there goals have dried up a bit so IMO their there for the taking something nobody would of thought that when this match up was originally scheduled back in December. That said The Robins have only stumbled twice at Whaddon Road in the league this season and will be a tough nut to crack at home but remember around the same time last year we managed to come back to Bristol with all 3 points and IMO we have a better team then we had 12 months ago added with a ever growing team spirtit and ever improving players. So looking back at the last five games for both clubs we have bagged 10 goals conceding 5 however 6 of these goals coming against high flying teams Cheltenham are high flying so maybe another 3 can be expected :emoticon-0100-smile. Cheltenham have scored only 4 but only let in 2. So both clubs have scored double to what they have conceded, maybe this has got a draw written all over it something I would take right now :emoticon-0148-yes:

Gasheadseamge79 Final Prediction - Cheltenham Town 2-2 The Gas

2. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

No tickets left for tomorrow's game

All tickets for Rovers' trip to Whaddon Road tomorrow night have now sold out for a second time.

A number of tickets went back on sale after the original fixture on December 29th was called off, but these have now been snapped up.

This means that John Ward’s side will have a following of 1,419 supporters as they take on the third placed League Two side.

Please note that the game was designated as all ticket for Rovers supporters and there will be none available on the day, so if you haven’t been able to purchase a ticket, please do not travel.

*Tickets for Saturday's trip to Oxford are also selling quickly, and we have asked for an extra allocation.

3. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

4. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Yates: It's Going To Be Tough

Mark Yates speaking to the media ahead of Tuesday evening's local derby against Bristol Rovers.

Saturday's 2-1 victory over Torquay united saw the Robins gaffer introduce three new faces to the starting 11 and a forth utilised as a second half substitute.

"We needed to win, whoever would have played for us. The new faces have settled in well, they did exactly what I thought they would do, they gave us a little bit of a lift and the boys that were selected responded. Everyone put in a good performance, it was just a shame we didn't see out a clean sheet. It's a shame we didn't put the game to bed a lot quicker because I thought we played some really great stuff and created a lot of good chances. We've just got to be a little more ruthless but it was a pleasing start. It's the first of 18 games ticked off and three points towards where we want to get to.

Only two whole days seperate Saturday's fixture against Torquay and Tuesday's against Bristol Rovers and it will be a challenge for Yates' side to spend much time on the training ground.

"We'll just touch on a few things today that we saw and that we think we can improve on. It will just be a prep day making sure the lads are ready for it and know the bits they need to know about Bristol Rovers.

Victory on Saturday meant Cheltenham Town moved up the table to third place, putting them back into the automatic promotion places.

"Like I've said over the last few months, we haven't really got a head of steam up yet but we're up there fighting. So it's pleasing that we've gone into the top three but no more than that. We want to tick games off, keep winning games and get as high up the league as possible as we can."

Marlon Pack didn't feature in the squad on Saturday after his proposed move to Swindon fell through on transfer deadline day.

"I haven't spoken to him, we've had a bit of a conversation by text message and he's in this morning. We'll have a chat and he'll train with us. he's our player right now and although he wasn't involved at the weekend he'll be involved tomorrow. Marlon's very mature, I offered him the chance of a couple more days rest but he wants to be involved straight away.

"Hopefully Luke (Rooney) could be in this morning. We'll just see where we go with that one. I've got to speak to Swindon, we haven't been able to make contact yet so he will be in with us this morning just with a view of training with us."

The visit of Bristol Rovers also see's the return to Whaddon Road of former manager John Ward who was in charge when Mark was a player at the club.
    "Well he got rid of me, not that I hold any grudges. I'm only joking, I speak to John a lot and see him around a lot. He's a very good manager and has done wonders for this club in the past.

"His side at the moment is very much on the up, very organised, very disciplined like a typical John Ward side. They carry a big threat in wide areas and upfront and they've got loads of energy. It's going to be a really tough game. They're going to be backed by a vociferous away support. They're going to be making lots of noise and trying to intimidate us and I'll need the players to respond to that. I'll need the supporters to respond to that. They've won three out of three games and scored eight goals. It's going to be a tough game.

"I think John, like all good managers, tries to get sides organised. That's certainly how it's appeared over the last few games in particular. I know they're top of the form chart and it would have been better to play them 5 weeks ago when the fixture was meant to have happened. We're buoyed by new arrivals and they're buoyed by their recent results. It should be a good game."

Despite the loss of former Robins captain Alan Bennett last week, Yates' didn't feel his side was one that lacked a leader.

"I thought all three players that came in gave their own little performance in that one. I thought Michael Hector, for such a young player, displayed great leadership qualities at the back and organised us. I had earache just listening to Jason Taylor on the pitch, he was infectious and just what I needed and I thought Benson led the line well with Shaun Harrad.

"You want leaders out there and you want captains out there. Their role might be slightly different but I'm sure those three and others stepped up markably on Saturday. I thought Keith Lowe was exceptional. I thought Sido had his best game for a little while. Mo had his best game for a while. Jermaine was a constant threat and I thought Russ Penn looked more assured than I've seen him for a long time. That showed with a couple of shot's Russ got on target which is a good start for him."

Billy Jones missed Saturday's game against Torquay with a light thigh injury but could be back in contention for tomorrow night's game.

"He'll be fine, he should be training this morning and we'll see how we go. He could be back in for tomorrow."

Keith Lowe's goal on Saturday was his fifth goal of the season. That tally makes him the third highest goal scorer currently at the club.

"Maybe he's a wounded animal, he's been in and out and I've picked Sido ahead of him at times and Benno ahead of him at times when he perhaps thought he should have been playing. Maybe he wants to prove me wrong and as long as he performs like he has pretty much all season I don't see him being ousted from the team. I thought he was great the other day, he has that desire to score a score, his movements pretty good and he just wants to attack a ball. He scored Saturday and could've scored 10 minutes before that with a header. He's a good weapon to have but he's been pretty much doing that all season."

5. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

I think they may well have some Gas infiltrators on their forum!

6. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Mark Yates has summed it up pretty well. He's a good manager who is getting the best out of limited resources - should be a good, close game.

7. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

I touted his name around for the Rovers job after Penny got sacked. Rate him highly.

A draw would be a good result.

I had tickets to the original fixture and ended up still going to Cheltenham cos I promised Mrs Gas a shopping trip <grr> Will be on here to keep up tomorrow night as I'm in Yorkshire :(

8. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

JW on tomorrow night's game

John Ward and his side were all straight back to business after Friday&#8217;s fantastic victory against Barnet at the Memorial Stadium.

Although the manager enjoyed the result, he had his players back in on Saturday morning gearing up for tomorrow&#8217;s trip to Whaddon Road.

It is a tough week in store for the Gas, as following tomorrow night&#8217;s game Rovers visit another local side, Oxford United.

He said: &#8220;We had the team back in on Saturday morning, which was always the plan, to get everything back together and get preparing for the next game against a team in the top three.

&#8220;We did a terrific job on Friday and the fans can stay excited, but we know we have to do another job on Tuesday and then again on Saturday.

&#8220;We are playing two teams now who have only lost five home games between them all season.

&#8220;We are going to one on Tuesday night who are in the top three and have just signed four or five new players.&#8221;

The manager went to watch Cheltenham on Saturday afternoon, and knows they are going to be tough opponents.

John said: &#8220;I went to watch them on Saturday, they are very strong and have good players; it will be a very tough game.

&#8220;We need to be on the same form we have been in the past three or four games and try and maintain that level of performance.

&#8220;They are promotion contenders and that is why they have brought in solid players with experience who know this level and can go beyond it.

&#8220;They played a 4-4-2 on Saturday, and Mark likes to do that. They are very strong and powerful and they don&#8217;t mess around. They are pretty straight forward and work the second ball.

&#8220;They keep the pressure on their opponents and they will be a difficult opponent, but we have got a good squad as well, with players who want to play.&#8221;

And the manager believes his team are too professional to get carried away with the good results over the last few weeks.

He said: &#8220;The players are professional enough to know that at the moment we are not out of trouble.

&#8220;Nobody is invincible, we have to make sure we work really hard to maintain what we are doing.

&#8220;I have a phrase with my players &#8216;Yes we have done well, but don&#8217;t forget how we have done it,&#8217; and we have done it with immense hard work.

&#8220;They have all got ability, that is why they are here, but that comes down the list of priorities after attitude and effort.

&#8220;They have got to make sure they get those things in the right order, at the moment we have done, and we have to make sure we do that again at Cheltenham.&#8221;

9. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We've only drawn three since late September, so I
    reckon Cheltenham or Oxford could be a draw.

10. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

I'm hoping for 4pts from the next two games but I wouldn't to disappointed if we end up with 2 as long as we can keep this unbeaten run going.

11. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Cheltenham defender Billy Jones is set to return after missing Saturday's 2-1 win over Torquay with a thigh injury.
    Marlon Pack's move to Swindon Town is still in the balance, but he is likely to be involved against Rovers after being dropped at the weekend.
    Bristol Rovers boss John Ward returns to his former club with his side having won three consecutive games.
    Fabian Broghammer scored the first goal in Friday's 2-1 win over Barnet and is likely to keep his place.

VIEWS FROM THE TRAINING GROUND

Cheltenham Town manager Mark Yates told BBC Gloucestershire:
    "Rovers are very much on the up. They're very organised and disciplined - like a typical John Ward side.
    "They carry a big threat and they've got loads of energy.
    "They're going to be backed by vociferous away support who will try and intimidate us. I need my players and the fans to respond to that."
    Bristol Rovers manager John Ward told BBC Radio Bristol:
    "We're going to a team who are in the top three, and they've just signed four or five new players.
    "I saw them play on Saturday - they're very strong and it will be a tough game.
    "We need to be on the same form we've shown in the past three or four games and try and maintain that level of performance."

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

i will be on here too <ok>

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

3 points would be great. i wont be greedy. rather have 3 points - 1 win and 1 loss, than 2 points - 2 draws. i know it keeps the undefeated run going but 3 points is better than 2.... i think ;)

ps, great thread by the way <ok>

forum seems i a little busier today. be great if some more faces come back. keep working hard all to keep this board ticking. im doing my best <ok>

14. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

And me <ok>

15. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Yeah true I would take 3pts as long as its against Cheltenham :biggrin:

16. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

Nothing but 6 points will be good enough!!

17. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I thought we were much better than Cheltenham when they beat us in October. This time I really think Ward's team will be too strong for the Robins.

3-1 toThe Gas...but any result, even a draw will do nicely.

Up The Gas!

18. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm going...got ticket first time round so going up tomorrow afternoon
    ...look around the place and find somewhere to park early.
    Should be one hell of an atmosphere.
    Will report back........................

19. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Have fun <ok>

20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Lets make it the best match thread of the season for us :)