1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Chelsea v. Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

I don't like Siggy on the wing at all. I feel he is generally less effective (at least that's my impression) and his more natural position is tucked in behind a front man. I think that's the general feeling among fans and I tend to agree, although I take the point that Fer would be hopeless out wide.

2. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I just think is a sad state that we don't have a natural player in that position and we have to adapt a player to do a job there, we have signed a new wide man and let one go out on loan but still we are having to play Siggy there makes no sense. I have to agree I prefer him back in the middle where he is or can be more involved and even more influential.

Kifflom! likes this.
  3. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

The only thing I can think of is that Narsingh cannot be as fit as Clement wants or he's making sure he's settled in etc and ready to be let loose from next week.

4. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Also, is Montero still injured or, as usual, he's gone into hiding during the winter months?

5. trundles left foot

I know we haven't seen a lot of Narsingh and I may get slaughtered for this, but I am well and truly on the fence with him. He seems ok but just seems a little bit like he is running around like a chicked with his head cut off also I wont mention him defensively. What about Ayew are we expecting him to play wide in the near future.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Stereo and ValleyGraduate12 like this.
  6. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

The 7 games previous to the Liverpool game , Fer only started 1 game and was only on for 38 minutes that game . Siggy never scored a goal in those 7 games . Including the Liverpool game , Fer , ( I think ) . started in Siggy's spot and Siggy moved to the left for 5 straight games . Siggy scored the first 3 games of them 5 games (from open play I might add ) . More open play goals in 5 games than his previous 19 . We took 9 points of a possible 15 points in games against Liverpool , Chelsea , Man City , Southampton and Leicester . Don't expect Clement to change the formation anytime soon and as I've said in the past , if we happen to lose Siggy somewhere along the way , I expect Fer to slot in nicely folks ......I Think .

7. Kifflom!

Yes, you've mentioned Fer as a slot in for Siggy before. Don't see that at all. Poles apart in ability.

8. trundles left foot

Did you have to say that, now we are going to get a long lists of games played = times = goals= positions played = why he should be there.

9. Kifflom!

10. seabreeze

There are none so blind ....Address the " Facts " with your own and if you can't ... carry on pretending mine don't exist . Seems Clement is more in my line of thinking than yours . I made a point of saying earlier saying I don't think Fer is nearly as talented as Siggy , but along comes Aussie and tells me about how I'm out of my mind with his " Poles " . If some on here had their way , Fernandez and Fer wouldn't be playing at all , Fernandez wouldn't even be with us any more . Sorry , but I'll throw eggs in Clements basket and you guys can skip along with your own ... Happy Easter .

11. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Don't throw the eggs they'll crack <laugh>

12. trundles left foot

Jesus Roof just having a laugh with you FFS, chill man you will do yourself an injury.

ValleyGraduate12 and seabreeze like this.
  13. Kifflom!

<laugh> What a hair trigger. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  14. seabreeze

Say two Our Fathers and Two Hail Marys .... and Jesus Roof will forgive you . All I'm saying is Fer could never do what Siggy does out wide but Fer can do somewhat what Siggy does in the middle to a certain extent , Fer can even do better in some attributes . Fer is not easily muscled off the ball and Fer can win more aerial battles in the attacking midfielder role . I feel Clement feels this way to and that's why he is doing it , results are on his side with this formation .
    Also , If we stay up and Siggy leaves in the summer , don't expect Clement to be looking to much for a new attacking midfielder .

trundles left foot likes this.
  15. seabreeze

Sorry all for being so defensive , I'll try to tone it down ... but I'm a " Happy Jack " these days and can't see why everyone isn't I guess . I would have bet my house at New Years we were going down .

swan_and_only likes this.
  16. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

To get the best out of Gylfi he is better suited in the centre behind the striker ..Nevertheless he has to play on the wing because we don't have a good enough fit winger at the moment and one we could have used was Dyer who is now injured. I'm sure a RW has been pencilled in already as must have in the summer....Fer has done a good job in the middle but he is not imo as good as Gylfi, We are quite lucky as we also Have Narsingh who is just as good if not better at linking up with Gylfi but over all both are not as good as Gylfi in that central position...

swan_and_only likes this.
  17. Libertyswan

Libertyswan Well-Known Member

I agree to a certain extent though as I mentioned Siggy's role does sometimes change during games depending on circumstances & several of his goals/assists have come from either central free kicks or corners. On Saturday it was frustrating to see him being nullified out wide whilst Ferry did very little in that central role. Also Wayne was very poor & constantly gave the ball away on the right so we had no width at all. I definitely think Narsingh should have come on earlier to try to give us some pace though I suppose up to that point we were trying to hang on against extreme Chelsea pressure.

seabreeze likes this.
  18. seabreeze

I'll put very little thought into Siggy playing wide , Fer playing in the attacking midfielder role , and my verdict on Naughton and Routs or anything really from the Chelsea game . They are a cut above everyone this season with Kante coming in and the Hazard revival .
    I will however put much thought into the previous 5 games and especially the next 4 games . My guess is this formation will bring us some of the best football we've seen for a few seasons . Regardless how we are playing , i would like to see Narsingh replace Fer just after the half and move Siggy to the middle just to throw a wrench into the opposing managers tactics when he thinks he's figured us out . Or bring Fer on for Narsingh if Narsingh starts .

19. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

I could break both of Gylfis legs tomorrow and he'd still be a class above and he'd still cover more ground than Fer.

trundles left foot and Kifflom! like this.
  20. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member