1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Chelsea v. Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Feb 20, 2017.

1. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Why? We should have had a penalty at 1-1 which would most likely have put us 2-1 up, Fab fluffed the second goal, and a half decent RB would have forced Hazard to run off the pitch with the ball to stop the 3rd.

Yes we are in 15th position, but we are no longer playing like a team that could get relegated. We are now playing with the shape and confidence of a top 10 team (or at least a team challenging for top 10).

We've beaten Arsenal and Liverpool and should have had a point at Man City, so why is it ridiculous to think we couldn't get something at Chelsea?

As I said before the game, with a Gylfi and Llorente on the pitch, anything is possible and on another day, we'd have got that penalty and Fab would have saved that shot.

2. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

I agree. Chelsea were very good but it was a decent performance from us. A bit of luck and we may have got an undeserved point or three. That's just the way it goes. We look like a well organised outfit.

3. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

When did we beat Arsenal or did I miss that one this season. If we had the penalty it would have put us 2-1 up and then we would have only lost 3-2. Listen to many are getting ahead of themselves here, we are playing better but there is still a long way to go and we are still deep in relegation fight. We have a couple of results and all of a sudden people are expecting us to go and get something at the runaway leaders. Sorry valley mate we are where we are for a reason and the improvement has been massive and yesterdays performance proved that, but it was a fair result.

What is far more important is getting wins against sides we need to and should be beating. As everyone says the next four games could decide whether we stay up or go down.

seabreeze, Taffvalerowdy and Kifflom! like this.
  4. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Don't know why that came out as Arsenal as it should have said Southampton <doh>

I don't think anyone expected us to get anything yesterday, but the big difference now is that we can pick up points from the big teams if we play to our best.

We are where we are because of Guido and Bobby. We are no longer playing like a side that's going down. I expect us to be near 10th after the next 4 games. We've improved greatly and can now best or pick up points against 95% of the teams in the PL if we play to our best.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  5. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone expected us to get anything but a lot of us felt that with a bit of good fortune hoped we might and I felt the team were capable of it. Second game running against a "big team" that inept decisions by the officials and a Fabianski error has cost us a goal and possibly points. Perhaps Dai was right and he needs a rest. On the subject of match officials another poor decision has cost Southampton a goal in the EFL cup final.

6. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Gabbiadini has scored a second. Weren't we linked with him in the summer?

7. trundles left foot

Yep we were, how realistic it was I don't know, but he looks **** hot and has taken to the PL superbly. Saints paid 18 for him and we paid 15 for Baston, I wonder who got the better deal there then.

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  8. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Well he's scored more goals in 50mins of 1 game than Baston has done all season :(

I'm amazed we didn't sell him in January.

swanseaandproud likes this.
  9. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Huw couldn't spell Gabbiadini.......

10. trundles left foot

I wonder if we will get anything for him in the summer. we cant afford to keep wasting money. Just hope we will get some return on him.

11. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

We'll be lucky to get £5m for him.

swanseaandproud likes this.
  12. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Whilst I suspect he will be sold in the Summer, it could be that Clement will plan to change tactics/style and bring in new players - that could suit Baston.....

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  13. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

I'd rather we bring in a striker suited to our brand and current style. But we do need a striker with pace to complement Llorente's physical prowess.

I think a Baston and a Llorente will leave anyway :(

14. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

I did not enjoy the result as Chelsea could not have complained if we got a Draw after being denied a definite penalty and two goals that should never have been but it was not to be......I love watching Chelsea's superb one touch passing where the players knew exactly where his team mate would run too and when ever they lost the ball there would be 3 players to get the ball back.......There was a time that we played a similar system and we were very good at it too......I would love to see an element of that back in our game TBH....However much fans like or hate Chelsea they are a joy to watch which puts it in perspective just how good we played yesterday...Clements who was coach there really did his homework on Chelsea and I liked that as they are the best side I have seen this season and deserve the title that is coming their way......It is evident now that we have a good manager and I hope he is given a free reign in the summer with enough money to do a job I have no doubt he can do and make us a top 10 team...

15. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Maybe not a" top team" but certainly a better one

Stumpy and trundles left foot like this.
  16. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

I get the feeling Clement liking the formation we've been playing , successfully I might add , is what's keeping Narsingh from starting . The boss seems to like Fer in the middle with Siggy onto the left . And who could argue , Siggy's open play bonanza of late is from this formation . Is that the Scoop , Siggy plays down the left and Fer occupies the middle ?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  17. Libertyswan

Libertyswan Well-Known Member

Clement did mention at the fans forum when asked about accommodating Siggy on the left that he felt that it was lucky that we had someone who was good enough to play in more than one position within the team & could adapt to different circumstances during a match.

Along with some other fans though I feel Gylfi is wasted on the wing & we need to see him behind the striker along with a pacey winger able to stretch defences particularly at home but seems our boss likes to start games with a more defensive set up which has worked successfully so far against teams outside the top four.

18. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Missed this game! Had to do a 10 hour drive to King's Lynn and back to pick a BM up for my son, seems we made a mistake or two, could have had a penalty, but still this was a game that few of us thought we would get anything, now we have a lovely run of games to collect some valuable points, onwards and upwards please!!...............<cheers>

19. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

A few mistakes due to the constant Chelsea pressure telling on the players but for the most part we were tight and relatively solid.

Chelsea did their home work and knew we were strong defending through the middle so they teased us through the middle and when we bit immediately went wide and came at us from there. That's why Fer seemed to be chewing grass for most of the game as Chelsea just nullified our central midfield by running around them. Cork tried to counter but couldn't get close to them either.

I think we just have to hold our hand up and applaud the tactical nous of Conte and the skill of his players. They showed they are a class outfit and although we tried we came off second best to the very best. Still though, we looked a far cry from the shambles we were just a six weeks ago and we have to be because the Ides of March are upon us.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    DragonPhilljack likes this.
  20. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm missing something but hasn't most of Siggy's open play goals come from the past half dozen games or so under Clement with Fer in the middle and Siggy on the wing . By no way am I saying Fer is a better player than Siggy , only that Fer can't do on the wing what Siggy can ...kinda what Clement is saying . Siggy's scoring on the wing , Fer is playing well from his position ( well except against Chelsea but who plays well against Chelsea this season ) ... so if it ain't broke , don't fix it . I suspect Siggy will continue on the wing ,Fer in the middle , Narsingh is the new " Super Sub " , and Routledge and Naughton will continue on the right for the next four games unless they play real bad at any time during those next 4 games . 7 points from the next 4 games will be good , 9 will be great .