1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Chelsea v PSG

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by StanDMan, Mar 9, 2015.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

You posted my quote twice it was so good <laugh> You Donut

Anyway, you're only as good as your last game and I'm afraid the 19th Century football isn't working for Maureen.

2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

CP talks a lot of sense. A more positive approach against an inferior side (on paper) with ten men would surely have produced a better result. You can't say Jose's mentality was correct for this.

3. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I completely agree with you for once.

4. Drogs

Drogs Well-Known Member

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Bottom line is, we weren't the team who needed to score so the way Jose set up wasn't entirely incorrect. It would be nice however to see us utilise our talent up top on the big stage, especially when at home.

5. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Pretty deflated this morning but trying to put my positive hat on, I'm hoping this is the fixture that finally puts the bolt up the arse of Jose and the players that something needs to change. Other than that Swansea game, we've been pretty much coasting for months and have put in negative/defensive performance after performance in the domestic games against anyone above 8th in the table.

There is a time and a place for it but we've dropped countless points this season from winning positions because we simply do not kill games off. Worryingly as well is the amount of games since new year where we have been dramatically outplayed...Spurs away, first half at Wembley, Liverpool in the league cup away, City at home, both PSG games. These big game tactics seemed to generally work last year (though came unstuck against a similar atletico side in the semi) but they simply are not working this year.

We played 90 minutes at home to a side with 10 men, and not only went out, but went out having been outplayed. Some people seriously need to have a look at themselves in the next couple of days and get this **** sorted out before the title implodes as well.

Don't want to come off as reactionary but this result and performance has been coming and we still have 11 games in the P.L left including quite a few against the big sides. A league and cup double would be an amazing season for us, but if we carry on as we are, we will blow it.

6. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Spot on.
    Week after week since the new year i have watched us and thought, we look mediocre, surely its just a slump, we will find our early season form again soon.
    But week after week, we are coasting and scraping results (Swansea game aside, as you pointed out, as we were awesome).
    It was only a matter of time before we got the result we deserved in one of these games, and unfortunately its been in a knockout competition.

What happened to the team who blew away Everton at Goodison and Swansea at the Bridge (and at the Liberty).
    They need a kick up the ass and to start applying themselves like we know they are capable of.
    I want to see a big performance at the weekend.
    If we louse this title up then heads need to roll. We are only lucky that City have been dog ****e this year otherwise we wouldn't even have that to cling on to.

7. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I think what's frustrating is, employ these tactics if you're playing teams like Barca who are better than us and who struggle with such tactics. Don't play them against teams like PSG at home. A good but not amazing side who aren;t that great away from home.
    Hey arse hat, ever heard of Pires or Eduardo? Plenty of cheating has gone on at your club.
    I'm a big Jose fan but I think he needs to let them off the leash big time. We have a gap so lets ****ing go and show we deserve to be champions without fear. It's not as if we're not dropping points playing this current way and we'll continue to drop them.

Teams now know they can get at us and have a chance because we don't go for the kill. I feel sorry for Hazard more than anything. Tactics seem to be stick 9 men behind the ball, give to Eden and hope he does something amazing or gets fouled so we can load the box on a set piece.

We should have been 3-0 up against Burnley before the Matic incident even happened. West Ham we only just got by, Liverpool in the semi we only just got by. It's week after week now.

8. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Yup, and Everton at home. We should have won by atleast 2 goals, but scraped a late 1-0 win thanks Willian.
    We also were the first team to concede to Villa in months. We are supposed to have a good defense, they have scored like 15 goals all season, Costa has outscored their whole squad ffs and he hasnt even scored in 4 games or something.

9. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Just checked, in the last 12 games in all comps, we've only one twice by more than 1 goal. That's simply unacceptable for a team with ambitions for trophies.

It was 7 wins by more than a goal out of the first 12 games of the season.

10. BBFs Unpopular View

BBFs Unpopular View Well-Known Member

yes but Hazard gets tired later in the season. ;)

If I were Jose I'd put Oscar in a crate and ship him bak to Brazil btw, getting Zlatan sent off was the only way he really affected the game, in that it gave PSG more space to move the ball around even if they did have to work much harder without the ball.

Had Zlatan stayed on who knows how it might have turned out, but I was happy to see that those disgusting antics led to your lot being dumped out of the CL. Bad performance but as bad and as cheaty as you lot were, PSG were as good as you were bad.

They deserve a ****load of credit for that, almost any other team would have thrown in the towel at 1 down with 10 men against Jose's Chelsea at the Bridge.

At least your lot got a free lesson from PSG on how to pass and move. It was a start contrast to Chelsea bring out the ball from defence with 7, yes 7 players behind the ball in the chelsea half with the ball in entral midfield.

Jose's anti football really did not fit the bill last night. Hazard is capable of so much more, being shackled to the right side like he is limits his contribution, he needs to be allowed to roam all over the final third

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

11. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

Sure. But some things are not entirely hindsight.

After 1-1 in Paris, PSG had no alternative but to attack and had to score at least one goal to go through. Even without hindsight we could have worked out (despite Alan Green saying otherwise last night) that Chelsea scoring one goal did not make any difference to PSG being kicked out. They needed to score one and if they did Chelsea would need to score 2 to go through.

Jose had two options: Either play a defensive game, keep 0-0 to go through (as sneaking a 1-0 wont make any difference) OR play an attacking game and go for 2-0 or more.

It is so difficult to change the mindset in the middle of a match. PSG was/is not an elite club and was there for the taking. This is all down to poor strategic decision by Jose and he has to take the blame for it not the players.

12. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I can see the merit of going for a tight 0-0. We did similar against Liverpool in the COC. However once they were a man down we should have gone at them. A high pressing, intense game would have suited us more in the long run. PSG didn't tire because we didn't work them hard enough at all. It should have never taken us nearly an hour to score v 10 men, especially given they had to come out and try and score themselves.

I can't say I blame pundits and rivals getting excited that our negative approach has back fired so spectacularly.

13. george the blue

george the blue Active Member

exactly. 1-1 was a wierd score line as if we conceed once then we are on the back foot for the remainder of the tie.

Furthermore a lot of people are forgetting (or probably didnt notice) that prior to ibra going off the game was totally different to the 90 or so minutes that followed.

I dont know if it was tactical, or if they were fired up afterwards. but that card changed the game and our midfied didn't recover.

we were saying this last year, and i'll say it now. This formation that we play is no good for playing top tier opposition.

our 2 got swamped by thier 3 in the middle. and when both our midfielders are off form, cesc more so than matic, it will always be a struggle.

we DO need to be more direct. Eden is definetly guilty of backtracking too much and slowing the game too much, but for people to say all our players aren't good enough, and try to argue for a switch in manager is f***** cringeworthy.

14. chelsea - over 100 years of history

I've said elsewhere that I feel sorry for Hazard. He is the one guy who is direct, takes risks and tries to make things happen. He has to back track a lot because he's often doubled up on. Which teams can do because the other attacking players don't exploit the space he creates enough. Our full backs need to be over lapping more as well. A Cole in his prime behind Hazard would have been amazing. Dave's an amazing defender and great engine but he's not going to be whipping in crosses with his weak foot, and for all Ivan's good points, crossing is not one of them. Makes attacking down the wings a little limp and quite often we get forced wide because teams set up to crowd out the central areas in front of the 18 yard box.

Overall though, is Jose setting up more defensively because some of our offensive players are having a dip in form, or are they having a dip because the team is no longer playing to their strengths?

How key are our next 2 league games now?!? Do we kick on or slump?

15. StanDMan

StanDMan Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Counter attacking system is not too bad, but the team picked out was very bad. Jose lost it there.
    And Fab did Nothing literally all game!

Before kickoff I would have taken a tough loss. But not this spineless perf against 10 men.
    May very well affect our chances.

16. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

It's easy to dismiss players as "not good enough" after a bad result but how many of those won the CL, or the FA Cup the year after. The tactics work too, the question of whether you can compete with the best playing defensive football has a clear answer, yes. Whether you're good enough to compete at the top playing attacking football, or indeed whether you should at least be trying to is where the questions are.

Also it's perfectly possible to win the CL with a team of small skillful players, if anything it's more difficult in the Premier League but you don't even have a small team. Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Matic, Costa, these are all tall strong players and should you have wished Luis and Zouma could have been played in place of Azpilicueta and Oscar if height was such a problem.

Luiz was fantastic last night, all his time at Chelsea showed was that he doesn't work well alongside a traditional English defender. Even Neville, who was very critical of him, backtracked when he saw Luiz playing alongside Silva or Dante on international duty. Again it was a question of attitude, stick with the tried and tested like Terry and Cahill, who want to defend from the edge of their area, or commit to a very modern defence and have Luiz and and another looking to defend high, win the ball and bring it forward. Judging Luiz on his time at Chelsea is like judging Terry on his form under AVB, both were fish out of water, playing in a side set up to expose their weaknesses.

John Terry is not one of the best passers in your team, where on Earth has that idea come from?

17. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

18. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Rightly so, though I dont feel we were the only ones guilty of play acting. PSG had their fair share.
    Performance wise though, overall, we were a disgrace.

19. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Luis faked a headbutt.

20. chelsea - over 100 years of history

To be fair Luiz has as many good games as bad whoever he is playing for. Case in point, Germany in the world cup where he was captain.

I wouldn't say Terry is one of our best passers but is a very good passer and under rated by many.