1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Charlton

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Apr 17, 2017.

1. brb

brb CR250

Beer to numb the pain.

Shamble's is an understatement, no heart, no passion, no nothing.

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb - I thought we agreed that Gills performances must not be described using words that begin in 'sh' - besides - I don't think we were anything like as good as a mere shambles - and towards the end of the game, even our own fans were using the correct sh adjective.

brb likes this.
  3. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

Do the 'Bournemouth Boys' deserve an early holiday? Bye bye boys...thanks for.....

4. brb

brb CR250

To be fair, I didn't think we deserved to be 2-0 down, I felt up to that point Charlton looked very ordinary.

But after the break we just might as well all gone home, because the team had clearly boarded the coach back at half-time.

So let's make this clear once again, and yes I know I'm repeating myself...

I am happy in defeat. I do not look for glory. Yes we are merely a pub team. And you know what, all of that is perfectly fine with me.

However, even an old piss head like me puts up a fight! Show some balls, show some passion, run until your heart explodes, run until your legs can carry you no more, go in all guns blazing otherwise just f off out of my club.

patchy70 and alwaysright like this.
  5. alwaysright

brb - I agree with you - except I'm a little [lot] more angry

brb likes this.
  6. brb

brb CR250

I had to leave at the final whistle because if I had stayed I would probably have got arrested <laugh>

7. Gills_Steve

Gills_Steve Active Member

Think people are being a tad harsh - I thought we shaded the first half and then continued to create chances (but couldn't hit a barn door with our finishing) in the 2nd half despite conceding a third.

For me the main problem is that our defence is TERRIBLE. How many clean sheets this season? One, maybe two? Think we are ok going forward (usually), but badly off-form yesterday.

brb likes this.
  8. alwaysright

brb & alwaysright

upload_2017-4-18_9-4-16.jpeg

The Gills PegLeg and brb like this.
  9. alwaysright

I wish I could have left at the final whistle - I made the mistake of going on the coach. The police kept us back for nearly half an hour - then got stuck in really heavy traffic ( 200 yards in about 20 minutes ) - it didn't help when idiots blocked the centre of the junction at traffic lights ( thus nobody could join the 'flow' of traffic ) -- and that's when there isn't a complete moron of a taxi driver who stops in the CENTRE of the traffic light junction - to allow a passenger to get out ( and remove her luggage from the boot )-- and would you believe that there were SEVERAL police officers just a few feet away - and - rather like the referee - did nothing --- did I mention I was angry ?

10. brb

brb CR250

Absolutely agree about the first half. Shame I didn't see the team coach depart at half-time though, I could have added to my beer tally ;)

11. brb

brb CR250

Had my first ever pub failure yesterday, the bouncers at the Denmark wouldn't let me in. True story and a sad day for football :(

12. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

I also went in at half time thinking that we were unlucky to be 2-0 down. The first one most of the people around us had no idea how it was a corner as nobody near where myself and brb were sitting saw a deflection. Regardless of that though once again we've been too weak at defending the corners and it's gone straight through Holy's legs. 2nd goal looked a like a clear dive by the Charlton player but the referee being very biased towards them all game gave it. Holy stood far too over but to be 6ft 9 and be beaten like a ball like that is incredibly disappointing. Other than that Charlton offered nothing against us in the 1st half.

2nd half actually got worse. Although we piled on more pressure our defence looked worse and they were just a team of individuals. None of them looked like they knew how to play together. The amount of airshots and hopeless crosses we had was truly woeful.

The only positives I can take away from the game was how bright Parker & Donnelly looked when they came on but frankly being surrounded by 9 other players who made no effort, the damage had already been done.

Pennock's comments after the game were laughable also. How he could ever think that playing Dack at defensive midfield over Josh Wright was completely illogical. You could tell throughout the game Dack is completely fed up of the current regime. I still refer back to Pennock making the stupid decision to release Konchesky as being suicidal. It's forced us to play one system only and that's even meant that players like Jackson, Cornick, Martin, Parker and Osadebe out of position too frequently. There needs to be changes made at the end of season regardless of what league we're in and had to include the management.

brb and alwaysright like this.
  13. brb

brb CR250

Only just read this and summed that game up nicely.

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  14. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Last game of the season for me. Didn't go today and glad that I did. Won't be going to Northampton to potentially see Edinburgh relegate us either.

brb likes this.