1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Charlton away Carling Cup

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Aug 24, 2011.

1. theflyingplumber

Afternoon AllHellLetLoose..<ok>

AllHellLetLoose would be the likely outcome if I touched that liver shrinking stuff. Communion wine is about tops for me..<laugh>

I ain't a plumber by the way nor have wings...:) but surprised you dont know who "THE" theflyingplumber is, mind you some of the younger PNE fans dont either so not knocking you for it..<laugh>

:)

2. Tewkesbury Addick

Tewkesbury Addick Active Member

When I was showing my Dad how this site worked and some of the monickers we use, I mentioned yours, Plumber.

He immediately said they used to call Tom Finney "The Preston Plumber", as his family insisted he learn a trade, just in case the football didn't work out!

Must be an age thing - he's the same age as the great man.

3. theflyingplumber

Tewkesbury Addick, I like the sound of your father (he is correct of course) and he knows his football so give him all the best from "theflyingplumber" and to you also. And when his 90Th birthday comes along tell him happy birthday from me..:)

Sir Tom was called the Preston plumber as your dad points out, it was a title used by most of the Press at that time (no TV around very unfortunately) whenever discussing football. PNE fans of that era like myself used many titles to describe Sir Tom including Sir Tom (before he was knighted), the phantom winger, the galloping ghost, the eighth wonder of the world, the flying plumber and there were others.

I agree with you, it is an age thing..<laugh>

4. blockmaddick

blockmaddick Member

I wonder us Calling CP Sir Chris will have the same outcome?

5. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

Tom Finney. Played 14 years (would have been longer but WWII cost him the first five years of his career). Never booked once, let alone sent off.

6. theflyingplumber

Do you know eddiefirmani, I am rapidly becoming a bit of a fan of the Charlton supporters, keep this up and I wont be too bothered if you turn us over in the cup....<laugh>....as long as we turn you over in the league...<ok>.....Kind words from an apposing fan and yet another who knows his football..<ok>

7. Tewkesbury Addick

We love the banter on here Plumber and we try and respect other teams and their fans and it does lead to some great discussions.

If we go back to Tom Finney, I always find the "face in the seats" tribute at Deepdale absolutely jaw-dropping - it simply couldn't be anybody else but this statue looks extraordinary. How inspired was it to set it against the backdrop of a fountain to re-create that fabulous photo?

This has prompted me to look at the Wiki entry for Finney. The story about his proposed transfer to Italy - a £10k signing on fee in 1952 - unbelievable. And 21 goals in his last season, when he was 38 years old. I'm not much of a statto, but I can only think of Teddy Sheringham who's even vaguely come close to that and I believe Kevin Phillips will get there this season.

'Legend' is a word that's bandied about an awful lot, but this bloke is surely the genuine article.

8. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

When today's prima donnas seek an even more remunerative contract, they often give the reason that they want to move to a club where they will win lots of trophies. Finney is up there with the very greatest British forwards (some consider him the greatest ever) but never won diddly squat throughout his career. Nor did another great, Johnny Haynes, except the South African league title in his final season. At least Matthews got his Cupwinners medal.

Another way the game has changed is that I remember in the postwar years there were serious discussions as to which was the greater honour, winning the League or winning the F A Cup. Even then most agreed it was the League, but the F.A.Cup was definitely the more glamorous competition. Most clubs record attendances (including ours) were for Cup matches.

9. theflyingplumber

Some great comment's being posted on this thread guys, just proves that although we support our own clubs/teams. When fans can clearly see that respect is being given to others, then they will respond in kind and football is the winner every time...<ok>

Time I hit the sack perhaps, sounding a bit melancholy now..<laugh>

10. Yingchun

Yingchun New Member

11. Tewkesbury Addick

Bank Holiday "Spot the Difference" Quiz

Originally Posted by OzAddick

On a side note, does anyone have any advice regarding jerseys, i have a Joma Krbs from a couple of years back. Would i be safe in getting the same size for the current jerseys, i love the away kit this year, going to order it from cafc.

Posted by Yingchun

Does anyone have any advice regarding jerseys, i have a Joma Krbs from a couple of years back. Would i be safe in getting the same size for the current jerseys, i love the away kit this year.

Answers on a postcard to...:emoticon-0105-wink:

12. OzAddick

OzAddick Member

What the... is that ?

13. Scratchingvalleycat

Scratchingvalleycat Active Member

Oz - you have a stalker!

14. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

And the winner of the tie will have to delightful Wiltshire or St Mary's. Charlton you can have the tie

15. theflyingplumber

<laugh><laugh>......<ok>